Backup camera installation woes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 04:18 PM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Backup camera installation woes

I would appreciate advice on installing a backup camera for my 2014 13' Scamp. I bought a LeeKooLuu 1080P Wireless.
Instead of installation instructions they point you to a cryptic video. Thought I understood how to splice into the trailer's backup light (using T-taps) (so the camera would turn on when I shift into reverse).
Instead, I apparently killed the backup lights, and the camera doesn't work. Maybe I spliced wrong? Maybe I handled the ground wire wrong?
Siceloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Maybe you blew a fuse. Does the BU lights still work on the tow vehicle?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #3

Name: Bruce
North Carolina
Yes car backup lights still work. I will check fuses thank you.
Siceloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
HI! Let us know how it works it you get it to work, Im thinking of getting one when I get my Scamp 13. what made you decide to get the LeeKooLuu? I saw them on Amazon. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've never seen trailer backup lights work. Usually that isn't hot on the 7-pin connector from the tow. Did you check the center pin to ground voltage?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #6

Name: Ralph
Pennsylvania
We like our backup camera. We mounted ours on my wife's car. I don't know if it has the range for the back of a trailer. Read their literature. https://www.costco.com/type-s-6.8%22...100504814.html
cookie_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #7

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I put a backup camera on my Casita. However I used a cable from the back of the trailer where the camera was located above the rear window, basically down and under then to a disconnect at the rear of the truck. Then ran a cable from the back bumper to the inside of the truck and to near the dash. I had the monitor on a flexible steel arm attached to one corner of the passenger seat, on the center console side. The monitor was then plugged into a 12v plug. The single cable both powered the camera and provided the video feed. Worked very well. Did not need to drill holes or connect to trailer lights, which I would have mucked up, without a doubt.

Amazon: Rear View Safety RVS-770613-213 Backup Camera System with Quick Connect Kit for Fifth Wheels, Trailers, Travel Trailers and Semi-Trucks
Old 09-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Be sure the wireless backup camera has the range necessary to transmit from the rear of the camper to the dash of your car.

I ran the camera's AV&Power wires to the front of my camper so the transmitter would be closer to the tow vehicle.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #9

Tennessee
Just to be clear. In my set up the camera and monitor were not wireless. Power and video feed used just one wire.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #10

Name: Paul
California
Wiring Problems aside, I would suggest not connecting it to the reverse switch, as there are (often) times you want visual feedback on what is goin on behind the trailer when you are NOT actually in reverse, not the least of which (to me) are those times when you are jogging back-and-forth to get a "perfect" park.

My 2 cents...
Berthaduniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #11
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
backup camera

I want to connect to power so that I have a constant view of the action behind the trailer, not just when backing up. I still haven’t decided on which one to buy on AmazonSmile.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #12

Tennessee
Having a constant view is a big plus. However, I also found that if you look at the screen (showing the rear view) while in traffic and use it to try to merge, it is very confusing. I had to just stop trying to do that. All I'm saying is be very careful trying to do that sort of thing.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have the factory rear view camera on our 2018 Escape
One of these days when I get real ambitious , I might take it out of the box , hook it up and see if it actually works . Maybe next Spring ?
I guess I am old school , I have a rear view camera on my truck but I still prefer using my low tech mirrors.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I want to connect to power so that I have a constant view of the action behind the trailer, not just when backing up. I still haven’t decided on which one to buy on AmazonSmile.

You'd be a much better driver if you kept your eyes well down the road in front of you, anticipating potential problems. Use your mirrors to keep track of vehicles behind and beside you and GOAL - Get Out And Look - when backing into a campsite.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
I believe using a back-up or rear view camera is and should be a personal choice and is nobody else’s business. If you want on, get one, if you don’t want one, so be it, but I do not believe anyone should be criticizing or shaming someone else’s decision. Using mirrors or using cameras does not determine whether someone is a good or a bad driver.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I do not believe anyone should be criticizing or shaming someone else’s expressed opinion.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I do not believe anyone should be criticizing or shaming someone else’s expressed opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You'd be a much better driver if you kept your eyes well down the road in front of you, anticipating potential problems. Use your mirrors to keep track of vehicles behind and beside you and GOAL - Get Out And Look - when backing into a campsite.
You have my sincerest apology. I didn’t realize I was criticizing or shaming someone else’s expressed opinion. But having reviewed your posts apparently someone died and appointed you as the judge, jury, and executioner in terms of what qualifies as “good driving.” You are correct. Nobody should be criticized or shamed for expressing an opinion if, and only if it is actually an opinion and identified as such such as “In my opinion you would be a much better driver” and not “You’d be a much better driver.” I have no problem with opinion; what I have a problem with is uncalled snarky comments. And in MY expressed opinion, the second quote above was totally uncalled for, and was essentially an attack on MJo’s expressed opinion as to her wants and desires. And I will reiterate, if MJo wants a rear view camera, it isn’t any of my business nor is it anybody else’s business. So please forgive me if I offended you by inferring that MJo’s decisions were hers to make and that she shouldn’t be criticized or shamed for her plans. It is HER choice to make without being told it will degrade her driving.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #18

Back up camera on a Scamp

I hope you are successful with the wiring of the camera. If you have the large windows on front and rear of the Scamp, I removed the rock shields and can see all the way through with my vehicle rear view mirror. This might be an alternative until the camera is correctly wired. The sun destroys the lens on cameras here in Fl. Mine became unusable on my trailers.
Good luck with the wiring.
JMolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #19

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2013 Casita Independence
Somerset California
Here is our install on Casita

https://youtu.be/_dJgxv_Sn7s
Tahitidoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #20

Name: Bridget
Maryland
I used a backup camera on my truck camper and it was the best upgrade. I wired to the running lights so it was always on when the lights in the TV are on. This allowed me to monitor traffic behind me and made driving down the road much safer.
BridgetMills is offline   Reply With Quote