Bargman L400 Door Lock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: Boler 1700
BC
Bargman L400 Door Lock

Hi Everyone,

Been reading a lot of the forums on the L400 which is the lock I have on my 1978 Boler. Mine is missing the lock cylinder and I, of course, cant seem to find a replacement part. Does anyone know where to get one? I'm new to this, so maybe I'm missing something.

On the flip side, if I end up completely replacing my L400 for a different lock (I have one from camping treasures that I could install), should I sell my old L400 for parts? Is there still a need for them?
Alyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx View Post
should I sell my old L400 for parts? Is there still a need for them?
Absolutely! They go for some fairly high prices even if they aren't in the best shape. Do a search of E-bay and select Sold Items to get an idea of what they have been going for.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The L400 has a somewhat unique shape, will your replacement fit without cutting up the door and patching?

L400s both working and not working sell routinely on ebay. Asking prices are not a good guide, as there is always someone asking a sky high price hoping to get it. Sold prices are a much better guide.

They do sell at a substantial price, as this same lock was used on many vintage trailers, including Airstreams. So demand exceeds supply. I picked up one in nice condition on ebay as the seller had a lower buy it now price. If you see one at a nice (lower price), don't sit back and watch it, BUY IT!

I am a frequent seller on ebay as well. You won't believe the messages I get (hey, I was watching your item but I no longer see it.... buddy, it sold). For some reason, a lot of people wait thinking they will buy it later if they don't find an even better deal. When I tell them the item sold, they often send a message: "Do you have another one?"

Ebay gives sellers a nationwide and even international market for their items. There is always someone out there looking for parts.

I also bought a repair kit, again, below typical price.

Sure enough, right now, the only one for sale on ebay has an asking price of $800. Meanwhile, looking at sold items, several have sold for $300 to $380. $380 was a brand new old stock lock in original package.

If it is just the lock tumbler, I'd head to your local locksmith, I bet they can repair or replace it at a reasonable cost.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
IF you are in or near a major metropolitan area look for the OLD locksmith company that has been in business there forever.

I live in Nashville TN.

We have a locksmith company Hossee and Hossee that has been in business here since the late 1800's. Last fall I carried one of my Bargman's over there for lock cylinder replacement. New lock cylinder installed with 2 keys $35.00.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The L400 has a somewhat unique shape, will your replacement fit without cutting up the door and patching?

L400s both working and not working sell routinely on ebay. Asking prices are not a good guide, as there is always someone asking a sky high price hoping to get it. Sold prices are a much better guide.

They do sell at a substantial price, as this same lock was used on many vintage trailers, including Airstreams. So demand exceeds supply. I picked up one in nice condition on ebay as the seller had a lower buy it now price. If you see one at a nice (lower price), don't sit back and watch it, BUY IT!

I am a frequent seller on ebay as well. You won't believe the messages I get (hey, I was watching your item but I no longer see it.... buddy, it sold). For some reason, a lot of people wait thinking they will buy it later if they don't find an even better deal. When I tell them the item sold, they often send a message: "Do you have another one?"

Ebay gives sellers a nationwide and even international market for their items. There is always someone out there looking for parts.

I also bought a repair kit, again, below typical price.

Sure enough, right now, the only one for sale on ebay has an asking price of $800. Meanwhile, looking at sold items, several have sold for $300 to $380. $380 was a brand new old stock lock in original package.

If it is just the lock tumbler, I'd head to your local locksmith, I bet they can repair or replace it at a reasonable cost.

Camping Treasures store sells a custom retro fit lock set that requires a cliilt cutting but no patching. I sold our Bargman L400 because it wasn't very secure. 3 of the 5 keys on my chain would open the door.
Here's a link to the Camping Treasures kit that I replaced the L400 with.

https://www.campingtreasures.com/pro...ock-kit-white/
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I would remove it and take it to a locksmith. I would bet they have a cylinder for it. I work for a large cooperation and took it to ours. He took it apart for me, added lubricant to all the parts and cut me a couple new keys for it. It is true though that most keys that are similar tend to work. :P
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
new old stock cylinder

I found and purchased a new old stock Bargman L400 lock cylinder with two keys on Kijiji for 40 or 50 dollars.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #8

Name: Derek
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Calgary
L400 cylinder replacement

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Been reading a lot of the forums on the L400 which is the lock I have on my 1978 Boler. Mine is missing the lock cylinder and I, of course, cant seem to find a replacement part. Does anyone know where to get one? I'm new to this, so maybe I'm missing something.

On the flip side, if I end up completely replacing my L400 for a different lock (I have one from camping treasures that I could install), should I sell my old L400 for parts? Is there still a need for them?
Did you find a replacement cylinder? I replaced my broken cylinder with a modified patio door lock. I can send details if interested
Derek in Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #9

BC
Hey Derek!

No I havent been able to find anything. Called some locksmiths etc and everyone told me to look on ebay.

If you have time, I'd love to know what you used etc!
Old 10-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hey Derek!

No I havent been able to find anything. Called some locksmiths etc and everyone told me to look on ebay.

If you have time, I'd love to know what you used etc!

I’d also be interested
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #11

Name: Derek
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Calgary
L400 cylinder replacement details

I tried several 1/2 inch wafer cylinder locks til I found the Primeline #E 2090 ($9 on Amazon). Two modifications were required:

1) Because the exterior flange is thinner than the original, I needed to put a spacer under it so that the lock face was flush with the surrounding fixture. The spacer is like a washer with an i.d. of 1/2" and an o.d. of 5/16" and thickness of 3/16" that is slipped over the cylinder barrel before installing the barrel in the lock body. You may find such washers at a hardware or cut it from 1/2" copper pipe. I found a brass ring in my wife's hobby collection.

2) The tab on the back of the cylinder that engages the lock lever is not the correct shape. Here you have several options to play McGyver. I first tried attaching pins to the sides of the tab to imitate the original. The design was good It worked. The workmanship was not so good. It shortly fell apart. On with Plan B! The idea was just to make the tab wider so that it engaged the lock lever correctly. I did this by bending a 1/2" washer in half (more gently after the first one broke) and sliding it over the tab and crimping it on tight. This was then filed down a bit to engage the lever smoothly. An alternate method would to slip a bit of copper tube over the tab and crimp it. You will get good at inserting and removing the cylinder as you check the operability, file some more, check again etc.

If you are up for this exercise, I highly recommend that you first read Paul William's excellent blog on repairing the L400. Especially the info on depressing the cylinder retaining wafer. Hint, I used an eyeglasses screwdriver to depress it for removal.
The link is as follows:
https://gonedriving.ca/more-boler-ad...tant-survivor/

regards,
Derek
Derek in Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #12

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium 4500 (1979)
Manitoba
Registry
You can reach out to Rick Whiten, at r_whiten@hotmail.com, who often has parts for Bargman locks. He is the process of helping me out with my broken Bargman L-400 cylinder!
SusanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #13

BC
Thanks so much Derek!
Old 10-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #14

BC
Thanks Susan! I need the whole lock cylinder but will give him a shout as well