Bathroom question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Colorado
Bathroom question

Has anyone removed the toilet and shower from their scamp? The 16 my dad and I just bought has one and we aren't too keen on keeping it. Hoping it wouldn't be too much of a challenge to remove. I think we would want to keep the actual room as a closet/pantry type deal. Unless removing the fiberglass around the bathroom would be pretty easy. Any thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413935125.934765.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	77924Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413935137.930112.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	77925

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Aaronlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well having a bathroom is a feature that may people want in a 16' so if resell value is off concern why not just remove the toilet and leave the plumping and shower bed in place - just put caps on the hoses etc and add some shelving for a closet that can be removed at a later date if someone wants to put the bathroom back in place.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I agree with Carol. The only issue you will have will be a 3" hole in the floor under the commode. You can make a filler plug and attach a support from below to hold it in place. Just cover the floor with a rubber mat or some type of thick floor covering. The closet adds support to the shell and if you pull it out you will have a lot of holes to fill.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

Colorado
I like the idea of just removing the shower and toilet and leaving the door and adding shelves as a closet. That was kind of the idea at first. Just wanted to get some opinions.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have you used the trailer at all? My suggestion would be to use the trailer before making major changes. You may be surprised and what you like or don't like, but it's better to decide that through use than just an opinion.

Now that I've had a trailer with a full bathroom, I'll never be without one. But as is said... you can never miss what you've never had.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

Colorado
I understand Donna, it's just not something either my dad and I are all that interested in having in the camper. Nothing's set in stone yet as I just got the camper today.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Aaron,

Personally I would not remove the bathroom, certainly not before using the trailer for an extended period. We never use the shower ability of our trailer, preferring campground showers over small wet trailer showers.

Over the years we have met a number of people who have turned their bathroom into storage space, generally without taking out the toilet. Usually I'm amazed by what they store in there.

In our case we have developed other storage volumes in our trailer. There are plenty of ways to increase the storage space without removing the bathroom.

One way to increase the storage space is to use available space more effectively. We have done that by adding 5 pullout drawers and adding a two drawer pull out pantry, again all in existing space.

Another way is to add secondary space around defined storage by sub dividing little volumes, using up little out of the way corners. For example we added two pull out drawers under a dinette. Behind those drawers we subdivided the area adding a wine storage area, a space for a lantern, and a space for back up meds. Beside those drawers is a location for a drill, a crock pot and an electric heater, all under one dinette.

Each cabinet/dinette is like that... a primary storage component surrounded by fitted space for smaller items. We have similar small storage spaces under every cabinet.

Besides using existing space well, we have added space. For example, one end of the couch is tucked in behind the bathroom and is unusable for sitting but usable for lying down. We took advantage of this and built a large storage space over the couch as deep as the bathroom and almost as wide. This added six 27 inch deep shelves.

Similarly we built a full width over the dinette cabinet.

Lastly we have added a lot of outside storage volume. We have a large rear bumper box for all those things that really belong outside, have two large plastic fence posts under the bumper box, one for a sewer hose and a second for plastic poles. As well we have 5 plastic storage containers under the trailer for low frequency used items, like tools, extension cord, ......

If you're interested in some of these possibilities go to Preparing a 1991 Scamp under Modifications.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We do not use the toilet either, yet. I would not consider removing it though as I hope to get into boondocking and it will be a real asset then. I had considered building a covered stand over the toilet to set a cooler or laundry basket, etc. on but have not done that either.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As many have mentioned:

1. It's usually best to not make major changes before you have used the rig for more than just a few trips.

2. Never make changes that will permanently affect resale value. As you get into the FGRV world you are sure to see other other rigs and may want to change to for something more appropriate to your uses, or you just may not care for RV camping, it's not as idyllic or as easy as dreamed.

3. At least 97.375% (WAG) of FGRV users have some sort of personal comfort facilities, be it a toilet with holding tank, such as you now have, or a portapotty of some sort. I have had trailers with both, and I wouldn't leave home without one.

Good luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote