Beachcomber B15 Renovation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 197? Beachcomber
Manitoba
Beachcomber B15 Renovation

Ok, so here is the start of my project to "fix up" my Beachcomber. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bie-57332.html
It had some water damage from the roof vent leaking. It turns out that it had a lot of water damage and a lot of mold and rotten wood in the walls and everywhere else. I was originally planning on just repairing it and doing the minimal amount needed to make it nice again but the combination of me wanting to do it right and also make some layout changes prompted the complete reno. I am hoping to have done in time to take it out this summer.

Here are some pics of the inside before and after I gutted most of the interior. I am still unsure how to proceed with the fridge though. I have to wait until more snow melts so I can access the outside hatch for it. It still works so I will likely keep it but I also want it installed so it can be easily removed or replaced if it decides to give up the ghost.

I couldn't believe how much water was still saturated in the wood especially in the ceiling. I'm surprised the roof didn't collapse with all the extra weight and rotten supports. I already have a preliminary layout of the floorplan and am getting more ideas everytime I come to this website. Too bad they all can't be incorporated into the little guy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0281.jpg   IMG_0285.jpg  

IMG_0286.jpg   IMG_0287.jpg  

IMG_0770.jpg   IMG_0776.jpg  

IMG_0833.jpg   IMG_0835.jpg  

IMG_0857.jpg  
goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #2

Manitoba
Here is my idea for the new floorplan with a queen size bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Renovation.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Is that kitchen all the way across the front?

Wow, you don't normally see it, but that is some technicolor fibreglass.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #4

Manitoba
No its gonna be a small "L" shaped counter with a 48" bench seat to the door. And I was thinking about a portable toilet under the bench near the door.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
A queen size bed! nice. That is a lot of bed for this trailer. I wanted to keep the closet, and that forced me to to stay with a smallish size bed. Its the one problem I have with my layout. It will make for some cozy sleeping. Its great to see another beachcomber thread, and I will be watching. Mine started as a quick reno also, until I saw the extent of the water damage. The soggy floor on mine ,I bet, doubled the weight of the thing.
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Manitoba
Got more snow last night. Lol. Too cold to do anything this weekend. And I still have some ice that needs to melt on the inside, I guess that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2648567753.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #7

Manitoba
I managed to move the camper to my driveway so I have a better place to work on it.

I wanted to have a closer look at the frame so I jacked it up and rolled the frame out today. All of the bolts attaching the shell to the frame were rusted and needed to be replaced anyway but the frame actually looks quite good.

I do have a question about the axle though. I'm not sure how high it is supposed to sit and it was too dark to take a good pic so I will take a few of the frame and axle tomorrow and post them. It seems to still have some spring left in it so I think it is ok.

I will also be looking for a couple of new tires for it because, although they are still holding air, they are quite worn and look like car tires and not trailer tires. And I have a few spots where I need to repair the FG where the shell contacts the frame. It will be my first time working with FG, anyone have any advice?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #8

Manitoba
Here a few pics of the frame
Attached Thumbnails
image-3220341012.jpg   image-4274102593.jpg  

image-3046069013.jpg   image-1868281042.jpg  

image-1801171134.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #9

Manitoba
Does anyone know what the factory tire size for a Beachcomber is? I'm thinking about going with a 205/75/14 for mine. The next size down is 175/80/13 but i think that will be too small.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #10

Trailer: Trillium
tire size

they should be 14" but if you are doing a upgrade you can up size if you have room. Go see Paul at Caster land for new tires rims and axle if you need them.If you need a hand moving a axle I am local, and have done axle swaps before.
Craig Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #11

Manitoba
Frame is painted and wheel bearings are re-greased. Now to start repairs on the FG so the shell can be reattached to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #12

Manitoba
Finally some progress worth reporting. I Received my new windows from Sun-View Industries and started gluing the window frame to the FG shell. I have cut the floor supports but still have to glue them to the base of the shell and drop the plywood floor in.

The frame is currently being modified slightly to provide more support for the front corners of the shell where I noticed it was sagging about 1 inch. I am also changing the propane tank and battery location and placing them side by side at the front of the camper and might allow for 2 batteries for the future. Pictures will be posted when I get the frame back.

I also purchased a new roof vent with a 3 speed fan which I will be installing in the next day or 2.

More pictures to come later this week.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1247.jpg   IMG_1248.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

Manitoba
I have seen a few Beachcombers with a metal brace at the door to hold the walls at the correct angle. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of it or the proper angle that the walls need to be at?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #14

Name: Ann
Trailer: Boler
canada
Hi. Do you know where I can get the outside, rubber wedge moulding that holds the plexy glass front and rear window in place?
Thanks
Ann
ann cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #15

Manitoba
If you have a small piece of it, take it to a local window or weatherstripping shop and they might be able to match it with something they have. I had trouble trying to find the exact size I needed and ended up only replacing the outside rubber strip and kept the inside one because I couldn't find a match for it. I went to North End Weatherstripping in Winnipeg, they were great and gave me a few small sample pieces for me to see which one was the best fit.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #16

Manitoba
Here are some pics on my progress. I have installed my 3 new side windows, new roof vent/fan and have the main roof supports in place. I am currently painting the front and back window frames black to match my new windows and they should be installed in the next day or 2.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.jpg   photo 2.jpg  

photo 3.jpg  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #17

Name: Ann
Trailer: Boler
canada
Roof trusses

Hi. Love the way you did your roof trusses. We would like to do ours this way. Would you happen to have the dimensions or a template of some sort?
Thanks
ann cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #18

Manitoba
I was able to save a couple of boards during demo to use as a template. I will see what I can do to get you a template. I decided to go with cedar for the roof supports because of the weight. I actually got the idea after reading what another beachcomber owner did. There are a few others on here that have done a similar complete restoration, you should take a look at what they did also. They have been a big help for me.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #19

Manitoba
And I did screw them down from the outside to help hold them in place and decided to keep them. The PO had done it so I was able to reuse most of the existing holes. I think it will really help with support. They are also glued in place with PL Premium. I will post more pictures soon.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #20

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann cody View Post
Hi. Love the way you did your roof trusses. We would like to do ours this way. Would you happen to have the dimensions or a template of some sort?
Thanks
The roof supports are 6' long. The two in the center are mounted just on either side of the vent opening and are made from cedar 2x4 trimmed to 3-3/8" at the middle and gradually curved to the edge which is 3/4". This seems to fit the contour of my roof quite well. The next 2 supports on either side of the middle ones are basically the same, center is trimmed to 2" and gradually curved to the edge at 3/4". The supports at the very front and back are just a 3/4" thick board 6' long. I actually used a 2.5" wide strip of 3/4" plywood because I already had a bunch of it pre-cut to use for the walls. All 6 are glued with PL Premuim and also screwed from the outside for extra support. Then every screw was sealed with proflex rv on the outside. I wasn't sure about sure about having the screws showing on the roof but it won't be very noticable when it is back on the frame and painted. The next step is to install cross supports to place between the main supports.

I hope this helps.

Tags
beachcomber