Beachcomber Reno - Large roof opening options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1974 Beachcomber
BC
Beachcomber Reno - Large roof opening options

Hey everyone,

My name is Nate and I am new on here. I recently purchased a 1974 Beachcomber and I am in the process of restoring. Originally was just going to do cosmetic upgrades and install appliances which were removed when I purchased however it has since turned into a full gut job.

The trailer appears to have undergone a reno prior to this but it didnt suit my needs. They had cut a large hole in the roof 24"x40" and installed a 6" raised area in the roof made of steel? with a standard size vent in the middle. It was leaking and also causing the roof to sag in the middle so I have removed it. I do not want to put it back on as it is pretty heavy and rusty and overall in bad shape.

I am looking for options to fill this hole and was hoping for some advice. I liked the idea of the 6" raised section as it allowed me to be able to stand up in the trailer. So far I have thought of 3 options:

1.) Skylight - issue here is this is not a standard size opening. There are custom options but it is expensive
2.) Fill in and fiberglass patch roof - do not love this option as i will lose my ability to stand in the unit
3.) Copy the old top/standard vent system however rebuild using lighterweight material. - Not sure how to best go about this if it is an option.

I have attached a few photos. I plan to redo framing on the roof using arched beams to remove the roof sag as other users have done. Thanks in advance, this forum has been an invaluable resource so far in this adventure.

Thanks,
Nate
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1237.jpg   IMG_1236.jpg  

nateschmidt10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber