Beating the heat while camping! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
To help with the heat and humidity I usually reach over and turn down the thermostat on my Mini-split heat pump
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
NICE.

And of course!

(And don't it make my hazel eyes GREEN?!)

BEST
Kai
Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #23

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Mini Split A/C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
To help with the heat and humidity I usually reach over and turn down the thermostat on my Mini-split heat pump
Tell us more! Brand, size, installation, etc. Keen on doing this. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #24

Registry
Tell us more! Brand, size, installation, etc. Keen on doing this. Thanks.

And power source!?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #25

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Where is the other half of the heat pump?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #26

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The compressor is on the extended tongue and it is a 9000 BTU .
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #27

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
There are little "swamp cooler" units available now on Amazon (CoolAir mini portable air conditioner) for about $27 (with 7-color nightlights, too) that supposedly do pretty well if you don't need icy-cold air...and they draw very little power compared to an AC--and they circulate air but don't shove any hot air out. You plug into 110 or one of those computer ports, apparently, and just add water. Reviews are actually pretty good. Free shipping. We may get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitfirst-Pers...ir+conditioner.

That takes you right to the "add to my cart" part, but there are many other options in this vein.

"evaporative coolers"

One of the main reported drawbacks is that these coolers only cool an area of about half an average bedroom. Well, that oughta be okay! They seem to be reported as quiet, lower the temperature, and easy to clean. Sounds good to me.

BEST
Kai

Some notes on "swamp coolers"

Those little mini portable (or any other that doesn't use outside air) swamp coolers only work for a limited time. They work on the principle that it takes heat to evaporate water. Hence the evaporating water takes heat out (cools) the air. BUT it adds that water to the air raising the humidity. The humidity rises until the air is saturated and no more water can evaporate into it. At that point there is no more cooling effect, air temperature starts to rise and you end up with in a worse condition than you stared with - warm SOGGY air. I speak from personal experience. Years ago, in Nebraska, a relative got sucked in by ads for large scale indoor portable swamp coolers. We tried to talk him out of it, but he knew better, got one, and set it going. Felt real good for awhile. Then started to be less effective. Finally had a large portion of his house warm and dripping wet, literally. Had to shut the #@&% thing off and open windows to bring in hot dry outside air to get the house dried back out. You just can't cheat on the laws of thermodynamics despite what TV ads claim. Temporary cooling effect, yes. Long term things just get worse.

In low humidity areas a window or roof mount swamp cooler can work fairly well. They pull warm (hot) low humidity outside air through wet pads and blow it into the house. The evaporating water does cool the air. BUT all that incoming cooled air pushes warm inside air out and eventually the cooler air also gets vented out and does not build up inside humidity. You're always bringing in new air and venting the old. The lower the outside humidity the better it works.

So don't believe any ads (or glowing user reviews) for swamp coolers that recirculate inside air. Whether they're little table-top models or big whole-room (house) models. They may start out feeling good but in the long run (and it may not take that long) they just make things worse.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #28

Registry
wilyoung,

Yeah, we came to that conclusion after reading a number of the other posts, that there's a real limitation on these swamp cooler types. I still think these particular ones are really CUTE, but that's not why I'd buy one--which I won't, now.

Instead, I'm thinking I might look for a cute fan...our black one does not thrill me visually. Nor is it quiet or have a 7-color nightlight.

Thanks, all, for the advice. Saved me an unnecessary purchase.
MoneyTalks News also said you can just sit near a fan with a spritzer nearby for occasional refreshing mists...much cheaper.

Seriously, I have a spritzer in Peanut already to shut the girls up (sometimes works) and the ugly fan, so I actually need buy nothing. More endurance and fortitude would help, no doubt, but I can't figure out how to get those delivered.

BEST
Kai