Bed height - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gumpit's Avatar
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Posts: 137
Registry
Bed height

I removed the bathroom in my Trillium and installed a front dinette that can convert into a bed. I did this because (1) I don't care about the resale as I will never sell it and I know that is a lot of responses people have when I mention it. (2) I am pretty lazy and do not want to have to set the bed in the rear into a table every morning. Or at all for that fact. I was curious if anyone has raised the rear bed height for any reason. Such as more storage? Or just to have a higher bed. Any thoughts? Randy
__________________

Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,334
Registry
Raising the bed to gain storage underneath isn't a bad idea, especially if you're rebuilding the bed anyway. You might even be able to hinge it to lift up like the bigger rv beds do.
__________________

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,920
I am looking to raise the bed in my Casita to gain storage.
I am thinking of the type I see on Navy ships where the mattress lifts up and there is a 6 inch or so open area under there for clothes,etc.
On a lot of ships this is the only storage available I hear and otherwise wasted space for me?

I wanted to do it over the winter but was working out of town and camping too much.....need to get my priorities straight,not likely!
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,174
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I am thinking of the type I see on Navy ships where the mattress lifts up and there is a 6 inch or so open area under there for clothes,etc.
On a lot of ships this is the only storage available I hear and otherwise wasted space for me?
I am unaware of updates to this configuration since I retired from the military in 1994, but in addition to the "Bunk Locker" we had a narrow 9" x 36" x 24" vertical locker to store hanging items, such as Pea Coats and Jackets. The Bunk Locker was 76" x 30" and divided into 5 compartments and had a small Drawer in the center one that was accessible without lifting the lid with the mattress on it.
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I am unaware of updates to this configuration since I retired from the military in 1994, but in addition to the "Bunk Locker" we had a narrow 9" x 36" x 24" vertical locker to store hanging items, such as Pea Coats and Jackets. The Bunk Locker was 76" x 30" and divided into 5 compartments and had a small Drawer in the center one that was accessible without lifting the lid with the mattress on it.
Cool.
How deep would you say it was Fred?
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,987
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I removed the bathroom in my Trillium and installed a front dinette that can convert into a bed. I did this because (1) I don't care about the resale as I will never sell it and I know that is a lot of responses people have when I mention it. (2) I am pretty lazy and do not want to have to set the bed in the rear into a table every morning. Or at all for that fact. I was curious if anyone has raised the rear bed height for any reason. Such as more storage? Or just to have a higher bed. Any thoughts? Randy
One has to be careful when adding more storage space behind the axle. Adding weight back there will increase sway tendencies.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Gumpit's Avatar
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Posts: 137
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
One has to be careful when adding more storage space behind the axle. Adding weight back there will increase sway tendencies.
I dont think I will be storing anything that will add enough weight to make a difference. I have also seen where people mounted boxes even further back on the bumpers for storage and havent heard of any problems with swaying. Anyone have this problem with swaying and extra weight? Francesca? Maybe? Randy
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,987
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I dont think I will be storing anything that will add enough weight to make a difference. I have also seen where people mounted boxes even further back on the bumpers for storage and havent heard of any problems with swaying. Anyone have this problem with swaying and extra weight? Francesca? Maybe? Randy

Believe it or not those rear boxes greatly increase the tendency for sway. It can be masked with an anti-sway bar, but it's still there. I'm glad you won't be adding much weight to the rear of your trailer.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,174
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool Anchors Aweigh, My Boys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Cool.
How deep would you say it was Fred?
My memory is that the Bunk Locker was about the same depth as the coat locker was wide. I found this in a Google search:
Navy Bunks on the USS Midway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
While that picture was taken aboard an aircraft carrier, the Berthing Compartment shown is the same as what I experienced on the Destroyers and Frigates I served on.
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,174
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool Another Google search result

View of an open Bunk Locker
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
That would be VERY handy for clothing! I'm trying to figure out how to store clothes without having to keep them in a duffle or suitcase. I guess the tow vehicle would work and just hope it's not raining when you need clean skivvies, LOL! Also, bulky bath towels.
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,920
My impression is that on some ships they even have to share these bunks?
Just something about calling them "Coffin" bunks may make it tough to get sleeping but easy to STAY asleep?

Melissa,you will be surprised by the T@B storage I have a feeling. I can't really figure it out but there seems to be more storage than I have seen before in such a small space.
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,174
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
My impression is that on some ships they even have to share these bunks?
Only on Submarines where space is extremely limited. The practice is called "Hot Bunking".
Since generally at least 1/3 of the crew is awake operating the boat at any hour, they have downsized the berthing space accordingly.
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Gumpit's Avatar
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Posts: 137
Registry
Looks like the "Bunk Locker" is a great solution. I will try to work on making one when I get a chance. Thanks Randy
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Roger C H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Posts: 2,208
Registry
Cool Storage

The foot well under the rear bed in our Trillium measures 28"x13.5"x36". We found that two 60 quart storage containers fit well. One for me one for my wife for clothes. I pop riveted two straps to mine so it can be pulled out. We keep the rear bed set up all the time and use the front dinette for eating, playing cards, etc.
__________________
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Rick G's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Posts: 368
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Believe it or not those rear boxes greatly increase the tendency for sway. It can be masked with an anti-sway bar, but it's still there. I'm glad you won't be adding much weight to the rear of your trailer.
I had a rear storage box on my Boler and had no problems at all with sway, which I attributed to towing very slightly down and making sure we had enough tongue weight.

I think that a tendency to sway depends mostly on your tongue weight. Adding weight behind the axle can increase sway if it reduces your tongue weight below the recommended 10 - 15 percent of overall weight. However, if you take care to make sure the tongue weight is not too light, then you should not see any increase in sway, all else being equal.

Sway also is more likely if you tow high, that is with the hitch high enough that the trailer is tilted toward the rear. You should ideally tow level, or else with the trailer nose slightly down rather than up.


Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,987
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I had a rear storage box on my Boler and had no problems at all with sway, which I attributed to towing very slightly down and making sure we had enough tongue weight.

I think that a tendency to sway depends mostly on your tongue weight. Adding weight behind the axle can increase sway if it reduces your tongue weight below the recommended 10 - 15 percent of overall weight. However, if you take care to make sure the tongue weight is not too light, then you should not see any increase in sway, all else being equal.

Sway also is more likely if you tow high, that is with the hitch high enough that the trailer is tilted toward the rear. You should ideally tow level, or else with the trailer nose slightly down rather than up.


Rick G
I saw a demonstration a few years ago where they had the weight over the axles then moved the weights to front and back. The tongue weight didn't change, but the speed at which uncontrolled sway happened was much much lower. You're right that with too little weight on the tongue the speed at which sway happens is very low.
Note what I was saying speed/sway. There's a direct link. All trailers will go into sway at some speed. The trick is to keep that point high and your towing speed low. When ever you add weight to the rear even though you add weight to front to compensate you've still lowered the speed at which sway happens.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Gumpit's Avatar
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Posts: 137
Registry
I have been busy but have been camping a little... I haven't had a chance to build a locker yet. But I did put a full sized mattress right on top of the cushions on the rear dinette. I have to say it was the best sleep I have had yet. With the cushions I could feel where the cushions came together... The feel of a real mattress. And the added height made getting in and out so much easier. No box spring. Just the mattress. I think I can take out the cushions since I won't be making the bed into a dinette since I added the front dinette... It is still amazing to me how much room there are in these little eggs. Mine is a 4500 and bigger than the 1300 but plenty of room to sleep.. stand..move around...eat.. ect Randy
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Bonnie n Claude's Avatar
 
Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Posts: 224
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
One has to be careful when adding more storage space behind the axle. Adding weight back there will increase sway tendencies.
Byron, you mentioned sway. We had the gaucho and backrest/topbunk removed along with the fiberglass sofa frame. In it's stead we had a wood floor installed (to attach the new 2-person dinette seats and table). It's the same size as the plywood that was in the backrest. Naturally there is also the 2x2" wood framing for the two seats, the table top (will drop down to make single bed) and pedestal base. I doubt there is more than 40-50 lbs of added weight. We will have the Thetford 135 toilet under one of the new seats but will not have any water in it when in transit.

Do we need to worry about adding weight / stuff elsewhere in the trailer to offset this added weight. (We have no battery on the hitch nor do we plan to add one to the battery box.)

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
__________________

Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scamp height Sherry P Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 02-18-2010 11:17 PM
Buying for Interior height, full length bed Carol L. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 04-02-2009 11:42 PM
Interior height and bed size in Bigfoot 5th wheel? Lizbeth General Chat 6 09-17-2008 11:41 PM
Scamp 5th wheel truck bed and rail height Rhys H Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 4 07-18-2008 10:55 AM
Scamp 5th wheel truck bed and rail height Rhys H Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×