See attached photos for the before and after of my 1973 Love Bug
It took me 4 months and 16 days to get the shell off the trailer and to get it back together and camp-ready. I took it for the maiden voyage two weeks ago and it was great!
After four months of sustained effort, I am now tackling all of the other items in my life and around the house that were put on hold to complete the project.
I will be taking my time with a few loose ends that my hurried completion left unfinished. These include new windows
and seals, body work, and exterior paint
-- to be completed by the end of the year.
It took a lot of money, patience and four months of my spare time but it was a fun project that I wouldn't hesitate to do again. Of course, if I had more time I would love to drag it out West for the road trip I had in mind when I bought it. All in good time....
Full Restoration Album: https://imgur.com/a/3PyvX
Thanks again to everyone here for sharing your insights and pictures of your projects. I certainly would not have finished as quickly or with as much ease without this community.
1973 Love Bug Fiberglass Camper Renovation Summary - Spring 2018
- Frame-off restoration - frame removed out from under the shell
- Frame sandblasted and painted
- New Dexter #9 Torsion axle installed at 22.5* down with a high-lift bracket - 2,200 lb capacity & a new rear center support beam welded in
- New 5/8” marine ply installed as sub-floor and fiberglassed to shell in rear
- New custom upholstered front gaucho couch cushions; charcoal marine vinyl and grey Sunbrella outdoor fabric with chartreuse piping
- New custom CNC-cut birch cabinet doors with recessed marine-style latches and custom 3D printed hardware
- All new, completely re-wired from scratch DC electrical system with Power Dynamics PD4135kv charger/converter and a new deep cycle marine battery - system includes all LED lights through cabin, with ample 12v and USB receptacles as well as a Waeco 12v DC fridge/freezer from a Freightliner Cascadia Semi-truck (6 years left on a 10 year warranty). All wires are heat shrink wrapped and installed in conduit.
- Replaced all running lights with LEDs - all new wiring all around
- New LifeProof Sterling Oak Waterproof Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring with lifetime warranty & custom 3D printed floor trim
- Custom air conditioning retrofit in closet with upper storage shelf
- Restored original sink and Coleman two-burner propane stove
- Redesigned Love Bug logo for the Love Bug 2.0 concept - 3D printed for use in the project
- Replaced all window screens and locking mechanisms
- New bed & bedding, recycled old curtains by dying them
- iPad mount installed