Belly Band- bondo hair? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Belly Band- bondo hair?

Hi there! I have been grinding away this week. Many plates later the belly band on my 4500 Trillium is ready for filling. After scouring the forums I still have a couple of questions.
I have bondo hair and was hoping that I could start with that and avoid the fabric and resin. Has anyone done this and if so, how has it held up over time?
I am also wondering if the bondo will adhere to the areas of he belly band that still have gel coat? Should I be careful to put it only in the areas that have been sanded/ ground down?
Thanks and happy Friday!

Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
Nancy
Bondo is hydrophilic, it wants to absorb or attract water, it works nice if it is covered with paint; if it is left raw it brings dampness. fiberglass mat and resin are just as easy to work with as Bondo you can get it at a hardware store. I have used many gallons of Bondo and used a lot of resin. look at YouTube to see how easy resin is to work with.
Later Kenny

Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Nancy you really need to attach a picture to get the best feedback. In my opinion using the bonds hair would not be sufficient by itself. It would be good to fill the gaps but I would still want a couple of layers of glass matte.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #4

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
I have attached a few photos here. For the most part the metal plates came out easily. Outside of the bands I never went much past the gelcoat except to level it up and smooth it. The last photo of the rear corner is the exception. The glass wasn't as thick and I went through in several places.

Here is my idea. Please let me know what you think. I have the ensolite up around the corners of the dinette anyway, so I am thinking to use the glass sheets and resin on the inside of both dinette corners where the grinder went through. I was thinking about filling the plate gaps with bondo hair as well as any depressions. After that I was going to do a top coat of the bondo filler.

I feel as though I would have to grind down further if I wanted the depth to lay fg sheet on the entire belly band, and I wanted to be certain that I am filling the divots where the metal plates were. Having said that... this is my first attempt and I am completely green. Please toss your expertise at me!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4607.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	135236

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4605.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	135237

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4608.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	135238
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
My opinion, for what it is worth, would be to fill in the deeper spots with the bond fiberglass. Then Sand everything smooth, and cut the Fiberglass to go around the belly band. When that has cured, put a light coat of the Bondo on top the the glass, and sand to smooth. Then you can cover that with the gelcoat and sand that smooth, and it should be a good look.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #6

Illinois
I would use the bondo to fill in the band areas where the holes and depressions are at. You can sand it so get it smooth and looking good, and then cut a thin layer of fiberglass mat to go over everything. Put the rosin on, then the mat, then make sure that is it well soaked and the rosin is through the glass. When that has cured, you can cover that with a light layer of the bondo, and then sand that smooth, and cover it all with gelcoat. Sand the gel coat smooth and wax and it should be good. If you have painted the camper, then just paint the bondo. I don't think you have any structural issues from the pictures, it is all just cosmetic, and the bondo works well for that
Old 06-06-2020, 10:49 PM   #7

Illinois
sorry about the double post, thought the first one was deleted.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:48 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
The only thing I would add or change to Ericallynís post would be to get some woven fiberglass tape from a kayak or boat builder supply house instead of FG matte. Just do a search for fiberglass cloth tape or go to West Marine.

Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote