BELLY BAND used for mounting ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
BELLY BAND used for mounting ?

Questions about the BELLY BAND:

Seems like this has alot of potential to be used for a mounting point for:
-a removable shelf
-an attachment point for a permanent storage unit
-a removable cooking surface
-could be either clamped or drilled and bolted to
-etc
-Of course this would be just part of a mounting system, and not carry too much weight by itself at all.

Do concerns include possible leaks if drilling thru belly band, structural issues , etc.

Has anyone used the belly band as a mounting point ?
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't know that the belly band is stronger than mounting to the fiberglass shell anywhere else. Anything heavy would still need something to back it on the inside. And I'm not a fan of making extra holes in the fiberglass shell in general.

For something light or removable, VHB tape is a no-holes alternative. For something heavy... I'd think long and hard about whether it is really necessary.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If you drill holes vertically thru the band so as to not penetrate the camper shell, you can add brackets to hang stuff on. Use Pop Rivets of bolts with nuts. Put a dab of silicone sealer if needed.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Put a dab of silicone sealer if needed.
No Silicone!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No Silicone!
Use Sila Seal.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
No Silicone!
So just what do you think that stuff is that seals the belly band all the way around the trailer??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The belly band is purely cosmetic and it is held in place by the smallest pop rivets (1/8 in.), every foot or so. It rests on the FG lip (where the top and bottom meet). Those two halves of the shell are glass cloth bonded and sealed together inside. I would not put anything too heavy on it. You could drill through it and not compromise the seal, but you do not know how wide the actual FG lip is, and how well it would hold the load. It could support a high force straight down, but probably not much that would pull away (horizontally) from the shell.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So just what do you think that stuff is that seals the belly band all the way around the trailer??
To begin with it's not needed IF Scamp thoroughly fiberglassed the two halves together. IF they didn't that's bad QC. Silicone on the exterior of the trailer can be a temporary fix that can become a permanent problem. Surely you've read enough threads here on FiberglassRV to be aware of that.

IF someone needs to use a caulk, there are far better types. You'd find other all-molded towable manufacturers don't use silicone... for a reason.

Your decision, your trailer. Come anywhere near my trailer(s) with that Devil's Spawn and I'll come after you with a fork
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

I think in our Amerigo, we used butyl tape and butyl caulk. BUTYL rubber, not silicone. That's what I think that stuff is that seals the belly band all the way around the trailer. AND the windows.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Take my advice and leave the "belly band" ALONE! The Scamp has ENOUGH holes through the outside as it is. The ONLY thing I've seen the alum. Scamp belly band worthy of is shining it like chrome and I havent even done that.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The only thing I have and would hang off the belly band is a strip of reflective tape .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The only thing I have and would hang off the belly band is a strip of reflective tape .

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #13

NW Wisconsin
If I remember correctly Casita Greg designed and built a clever table that hooks on the top of the trailer tire plus it has stabilizer legs . Might be worth a search on the Casita Forum . Greg has devised several really useful mods including an easily installed black tank cleaning system and an improved outside shower mod .
Old 07-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
To begin with it's not needed IF Scamp thoroughly fiberglassed the two halves together. IF they didn't that's bad QC. Silicone on the exterior of the trailer can be a temporary fix that can become a permanent problem. Surely you've read enough threads here on FiberglassRV to be aware of that.

IF someone needs to use a caulk, there are far better types. You'd find other all-molded towable manufacturers don't use silicone... for a reason.

Your decision, your trailer. Come anywhere near my trailer(s) with that Devil's Spawn and I'll come after you with a fork

Actually that is not the purpose. The two halves are thoroughly fiberglassed together. the belly band is cosmetic to cover the seam.

The caulk on the belly band is there to prevent water getting under it and forming corrosion which would then cause constant black streaking on the bottom half of the outside of the trailer.
You could of course remove the caulk and place a tiny bead of a clear or even silver sealant in its place. that might look great with the belly band all polished up!

While I don't subscribe to the ban on silicone,I will be careful to avoid carrying any with me if I come to visit... and I will keep at least one eye out for a slightly deranged person with a Fork, all the time hoping it is a salad and not a pitch! (or maybe just a forked tongue)

On the way, if I see a fork in the road, I will surely hope it was you who dropped it... and I will of course, take it ! ( purely for self defense of course!)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I remember correctly Casita Greg designed and built a clever table that hooks on the top of the trailer tire plus it has stabilizer legs . Might be worth a search on the Casita Forum . Greg has devised several really useful mods including an easily installed black tank cleaning system and an improved outside shower mod .
(Although it really doesn't have anything to do with the belly band.)
You mean my little side table? It is made from a Ware-Ever aluminum "full sheet" baking pan, and the rim fits well in the Keder rail slot, (with a small amount of filing a notch in the bottom of the bead around the rim where it slides into the Keder rail.) It fits in a short section of left-over Keder rail that I mounted to the side of the trailer. I just slide it in and then I insert the angled leg into a slot on the bottom, and it props the table up on the edge of the tire rim which holds it up. It's also handy to the outside 120v convenience outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0787.jpg   IMG_0788.jpg  

IMG_0789.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
So, if you want the microwave near the picnic table and the BBQ, you have to move the whole trailer? Why not just use one of those folding aluminum stools or tables? Something for multiple uses?
Old 07-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Well, first off, it's a Cuisinart Toaster Oven, not a microwave. I have the installed microwave inside. I can also use the toaster oven inside the trailer as well, but if it's nice out I'll put it outside. The table is multi-functional, in that I can use it as an outside bar, a place to set the "ghetto blaster," or for any other need for a flat surface to park something.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #18

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, if you want the microwave near the picnic table and the BBQ, you have to move the whole trailer? Why not just use one of those folding aluminum stools or tables? Something for multiple uses?
OR you could just move the picnic table ?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:

Come anywhere near my trailer(s) with that Devil's Spawn and I'll come after you with a fork
Oooh!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I vote for Casita Greg's solution. Somewhere I have seen a table that hangs in front of a tire, with two 90 degree metal hooks that extend over to the back of the tire.

Here's a variation found. The first one I saw, had support hooks over to the back of the tire
https://www.improvementscatalog.com/
Attached Thumbnails
T_WithoutZoom.jpeg   T_WithoutZoom (1).jpeg  

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote