Best mounted low watt reading lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2005, 11:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
I'm trying to eliminate those which don't perform well, or those which consume too much power.
Looking at those suitable for reading in bed without disturbing one's spouse. Also those which are more of a flood to light up the "kitchen" table.
As I get older, I require more light for reading, consequently brightness and color balance without reflection has become an issue.
Experiences?
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Kurt, you have seen my flourescants, and you know they will temp airplanes to land in my campsite if I leave the curtains open

Lauren gave me some lighting Gels, which are colored plastic that is translucent and super high heat proof. I have an orangy color and it zaps the blinding factor down quite a bit.

But< the reason I keep the flourescants is they consume so little power that they will run for days.

I also went to camping world and got a couple of gustafson side wall lights that are 18 watts and consume 1.5 amps.

I cant find them in camping worlds site, or on the web, they might be discountinued, but I did see stock of them today when I was there,

The are about 6 inches tall, and 3 1/2 wide, nice looking curved clear ribbed cover and light up the back of the trailer warmly and with enough to read and eat by.

I have only temporarily installed one, but next weekend is to hard wire them in, one above the bed on the closet side, and one will replace the stock Burro square power sucking one on the gaucho end of the kitchen cabinet.

I am very happy with them.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm hoping to get a variety of replies so I've a selection from which to choose. I'm aware there have recently been some different advances made in the bulb department, also. Recently. I had the opportunity to read using a fixture which used an Ott lite bulb. The lighting was easy on the eyes and quite sufficient from a brightness standpoint. Problem is, I wasn't thinking in terms of RV use, voltage required or amp consumption at the time. It might be possible to purchase the bulb only if an adequate and compatible fixture became available.
So, the search continues,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Kurt,
I was looking for a 12 volt light that would plug into the 12 volt outlet over the bed in my 16' SD and ran across this site. http://www.cyberguys.com Look under Tools and Testers/flashlights or just type "LED" in the search box. The flexable 6 LED map light(item # 142 0364) worked well for me. They also have LED replacements for 120 volt bulbs that draw only 1.3 watts. I have seen similar items at FlyingJ and TA travel Centers.
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Two other recent threads which are relevant to this topic:
LED Bulb Replacement
Rear Upper Shelf with LED lights.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, lights