Best product for fiberglass exterior repair? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #1

Name: Becca
Trailer: Hunter
Washington
Best product for fiberglass exterior repair?

Any tips for the best filler to repair fiberglass on the exterior of an old camper (Hunter Compact II in my case)? I was thinking of trying a white epoxy putty that my local marine shop sells but curious what others recommend. Thanks for any advice!

Here are a few pics of the spots I'm hoping to repair on the outside of the camper:

Becca L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sure looks like grinding, fiberglass and the appropriate resin and gel coat. There is a long thread on repairing fiberglass.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #3

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
West system it is the best and idiot proof . Start up is expensive. I have pumps that are still working 20 years now.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I agree with Bill for a permanent repair. If you want a good quick fix I recommend Totalboat epoxy fairing compound from Jamestown Distributors. Grind out the spots, fill, sand and paint. Great stuff.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #5

Name: Becca
Trailer: Hunter
Washington
Thanks!! Really appreciate the tips!
Becca L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I only use polyester resin and fiberglass for repair followed by polyester body filler for a smooth finish.
Many mods have been done on my boler using these products with zero problems. Great products and inexpensive!
Fred
Check the link in my signature for some examples.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
NOD

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
California
Yes - West System or Total Boat resin, fiberglass, and a good plastic filler. I used Evercoat Rage Extreme (on the recommendation of a friend who restores high-end sports cars). I tried Total Boat fairing compound, which works pretty well, but the Evercoat Rage is easier to sand and dries just as hard. I tried a gel coat repair on my 13' Scamp - really hard to match the existing old gelcoat. I tossed in the towel and went for a complete repaint.
NOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
... There is a long thread on repairing fiberglass.
And here it is:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html

Make sure you have some free time
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
That’s a great looking car, an old Mercury, correct? Is the engine at 289?
Mike J. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
I have used a product called Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty to do some small repairs (filling holes, large and small) on the deck of my fiberglass boat. Its super cheap, like $2.00 for a one pound can, and worked great on my boat. Very easy. Mix a bit with water, fill in the hole, let it dry a day, sand it flush, and paint it.

Frank
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	135543

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	135544
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
fibreglass repair

Gotta be careful that you don't mix epoxy and polyester resin coatings. You can put epoxy over polyester but not polyester over epoxy. Pretty much all
fiberglass campers and trailers are made from polyester resins because of a much lower cost over epoxy and usually quicker setup times. when repairing cracked gelcoat ,just make sure it is all removed before it is refilled because if it is separating from behind ; all the work will be in vain
as cracking and fall off will happen down the road.
As for Durhams (https://www.thepaintstore.com/Durham...ty-p/00001.htm) ( some non manufacturer comments)
It may be good for dry environments that do not flex and so one ; but stick to the original material ( polyester based ) fillers and repair materials and you will be happier, I am sure.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Another option is fiberall, it does appear like some structural damage to repair first not sure what you have on inside wall, maybe a layer inside of mat and resin, remove loose and fill with fiberall (easy to work with filler so you not dealing with epoxy issues, it is a bondo type product with fiberglass fillers) then a finish gel coat layer should make it stronger than new if you can get to the back side. Everything you need but fiberall is probably available locally. I don't know your trailer, but so you know there are different colors of white gelcoat, I had good luck once with some gelcoat I bought at an ACE hardware however one thing to remember is gelcoat has a self life so be sure to try to get it relatively fresh. I watched a bunch of videos before my first fiberglass repair and found it easier than I thought after the first go at it. No fancy tools needed gelcoat can be done brush or trowel on but you have to be careful on the sanding part to get it level without going to thin on the original gelcoat around your repair. I wouldn't put stuff like marine tex putty on anything but some old beater skiff that I am going to throw away someday.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca L View Post
Any tips for the best filler to repair fiberglass on the exterior of an old camper (Hunter Compact II in my case)? I was thinking of trying a white epoxy putty that my local marine shop sells but curious what others recommend. Thanks for any advice!

Here are a few pics of the spots I'm hoping to repair on the outside of the camper:

I would just grind out all that loose stuff then put new fiberglass in. ( You will never get gel coat, it is sprayed into the molds before any fiber glassing is done) I like using very small batches mixed small paper cup. I precut the glass mat when everything is dry. I put rubber gloves on, mix a small batch stir with popsicle sticks, then use those cheap throw away brushes, paint the edges of the area to be patched, apply mat. If I have extra I brush the extra to smooth out the mat. Then I can do several spots at one mixing, later on mix a bigger batch and apply the resin to middle areas bridging the holes. If I can on both sides I can put layers on both sides. I can use a sander try to get flat or the shape needed and then.do another coat as needed. I use Bondo filler to smooth things out once I have a strong enough shell made.
Primer and glazing putty to remove scratches and pin holes.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
There is more than one type of gel coat. Yes the stuff used inside molds is thinned to make it sprayable and easy to apply . It can be tinted for color if wanted or left as a white or shades of white. Eliminates painting standard colors afterwards . If special metal flake paints are required then that has to be spray painted . The other use is to eliminate pinholes as it takes much more work to work the resin and glass cloth into the mold and nearly impossible to eliminate pinholes.
I do not recommend fixing and patching with dissimilar materials as cold weather and humidity changes can cause separation in all the work you do and you don't want to be redoing it again in a year or so. Also I would drill out the old screw holes
in case someone used some sort of sealing material at some point in the past .
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:24 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Use polyester resin. It is what your trailer was made with. Epoxy is for boats.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote