big MOD's of our 1981 Scamp "Mod Pod" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: Carol
Trailer: 1981 13ft SCAMP
Texas
big MOD's of our 1981 Scamp "Mod Pod"

OK so here goes... over the last few months I have been reading on other Scamp owners mods & we used some and came up with some of our own.. we did a full out gut of a 1981 Scamp over the last 6 months!
We saved all the fiberglass furniture however did some modifications / alterations & have so far worked out just fine!
It would take me forever to talk about every item.. but if anyone sees anything they want me to explain I will be glad to share "how to"
Attached Thumbnails
trailer inside 001.JPG   trailer inside 002.JPG  

trailer inside 003.JPG   trailer inside 008.JPG  

trailer inside 004.JPG   trailer inside 005.JPG  

trailer inside 006.JPG   trailer inside 007.JPG  

trailer inside 009.JPG   trailer inside 010.JPG  

CAROLPHAYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Love it!

Tell us about the tall closet door. Is that a full length hinge on it behind the front pullouts? The tall closet fronts btw are an awesome idea - not seen that one before!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Incorporating the stainless band theme in both the coffe maker and the back splash storage items looks great. Would love to see more
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #4

Texas
It is a white molded plastic vertical storage unit sold by IKEA it is designed to store shoes...
We attached it as the door for the closet with a piano hinge
We added rollers on the bottom to help it swing open.. .. there is a child proof strap on the bed side as a latch to keep it tightly closed
It works as a awesome pantry.. we do use the bottom spot for our shoes!
Geez go figure..
I really thought the first item someone would ask about would be the door covers on the upper cabinet! over the sink.. They again are white molded plastic access doors for plumbing.. from home depot .... they pop over the cabinet opening just perfect! $7 each!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #5

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Great looking mods, really makes it more modern looking not just updated.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAROLPHAYES View Post
It is a white molded plastic vertical storage unit sold by IKEA it is designed to store shoes...
Yup I recognized it! Just never seen it used in that way before - one cool Ikea hack!

Using the plumping access hatches another GREAT idea I had not seen done - but to be honest couldn't even tell thats what they were from the pictures. Did you put hinges on them on the inside?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

Texas
I will be sooo. glad when we finish the outside.. we removed all the running lights and have LED replacements on stand by for the reinstall once all the body work is finished
we are replacing all the windows with new ones.. we are adding radius style to the side windows to match the front and back big windows..
we figured with painting no need to install new glass,, just to have to tape off.. so installation of the new windows will be one of the last items we do!
We removed the narrow window that was over the stove.. I wanted the back inside over the counter wall for the hanging the white and stainless storage system we picked up from IKEA

I have honed my fiberglass skills and my husband was already good @ auto body .. so the paint should be nice once we finish.. we are gonna have it wrapped as well ..as we are making it a perfect match / companion to our 2006 roadster a Chevy SSR ..

We added a 3 additional 20 amp breakers all with heaver load wire to each of the following designated items, we put two breakers per a 50 foot cord so now we have two 110volt cords to plug in.. so it has a total of 4 - 20 amp breakers & two cords..

The AC is on it's own breaker
The Hot spot faucet is on it's own breaker
The microwave is on it's own breaker
All the dorm sized frig, power outlets and the lights that are low voltage lights (2 swing arm lights) they are on own breaker as well .. we should have not issues of a power overloaded of any one breaker this way.. so no propane used any longer for anything .. our portable grill has a small bottle if we want to grill
this being our first RV to work on... we are just having fun thinking outside the box a little!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Texas
the plumbing access door has three spring legs that keep them in place over the opening with tension from the springs .. they just lift out when you push any one of the springs, the spring collapsing somewhat will let you remove the door
Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #9

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
All I can say is WOW !!!

If only new Scamps looked this modern.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am not sure I see the advantage to the two-cord set-up you are using. I assume you are plugging them into one receptacle (top & bottom) at a pedestal which is on one breaker itself. It would seem to be much more efficient to run one 10 gauge cord if voltage drop was a concern and you did not want the original 30 amp plug to deal with. Truth be told, you are most likely not going to be running everything at once anyway so two breakers probably would have been fine. I am going to test this theory myself this summer with my 1988 Scamp 16. There is space in the original breaker box for two more breakers, and I would like to seperate loads but have to find two more C-H breakers. There is always one more project on an old Scamp.

I am curious about your back bed, is it enlarged over the original?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #11

Texas
yep.. not sure what was his thinking on the two plugs .. he does have the two plugs right now in our driveway going & running off two different breakers from our home? one is plugged into pool equipment breaker and one off the garage breaker... this was all my husbands doing.. & somehow he was comfortable with just adding a second cord .. I think just so we would will not have any power loss on any one item.

The back full size bed it is a memory foam mattress .. so the bed is set up all the time..same size it was meant to have

The body pillows hang up on the wall right above where they sit.. they hang over the windows @ night .. I sewed loops into the corners and one in the middle of each pillow and with those loops I can attach them to small knobs that I put where the curtain rods holes were ... hanging the pillows free up the bed for sleeping and covers the windows too!
I did this for all the long body pillows.. front and back!
2006 Chevy SSR
Old 04-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #12

Name: Nathan
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Looks great!Do you still have the little window that was over the stove? If so, would you sell it?
Cheers,
Nathan
nathanmctague@me.com
Nathanmctague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #13

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Truly Elegant! Great work and thank you for sharing!
I too am interested in more details on the closet storage pull outs.
Okay just read about the shoe storage rack, great idea! Love the over cabinet doors! So well thought out Carol.
Where in the world did you find the counter top? Really like the curves.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

Texas
Nathan,
The window has a new home already....
However I will have the side windows, the roof access vent and the door window yet to be taken out.
If you are interested..I believe all these items are original to the trailer.
I will give you the same deal I did the first guy.... just pay for the shipping
2006 Chevy SSR
Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #15

Texas
Diane,
The counter top is another good IKEA hack... it was a old red IKEA desk top shaped like a bean.. it is a retired IKEA desk top.. I found it on CL after our Dallas IKEA was out of stock for the new model i had choosen.. i really like the round profile edge design on this one better...plus I saved myselff 50$
We coped the back side to fit the curve of the trailer painted it white and then coated it with a 2 part epoxy that you just mix & pour...this epoxy it is sold for bar tops . I was very happy with the resiults.
Bar Top Epoxy | Commercial Grade Bartop Epoxy
2006 Chevy SSR
Old 04-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Carol, I love saving money and purposing things. You guys did such a great job. Thanks for the info on the bar top epoxy, I have never heard of this. I bet it is really a hard surface, looks so professional.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #17

British Columbia
Thanks so much!
I sent you a private message with my details.
Thanks!
Nathan
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #18

Texas
The small stove window is not available.
A guy in Austin has taken it off my hands a few months ago.
I will let you know as the other windows get removed as I will be replacing all of them. I will see then if you want them
2006 Chevy SSR
Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #19

British Columbia
Thanks, I'll take the door window whenever your ready to get rid of it.
Cheers,
Nathan
Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #20

Name: Roseanna
Trailer: scamp
California
Carol,
Thank you for posting your make over. I really like what you have done to your camper. I am in the mist of getting ideas for upgrading my scamp 16. I was wondering what kind of sink you have and faucet? They are very nice. I was also wondering how you attached the counter top to the cabinet. I was also wondering what is on the top door of your fridge. Oh and where did you get your mirror?
scamphappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp