Bigfoot 17 CB... rear storage... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Bigfoot 17 CB... rear storage...

after a couple of "shake down cruises" it became obvious to me that I needed a "pantry" as there did not seem to be an obvious spot where that stuff would go.....sure you could put into the overhead compartments...but EVERYTHING got rearranged up there after just a few miles on potholed logging roads....

the storage lockers below the rear sofa offered lots of cubic feet of space...but you had to get on all fours to fish anything out of there....and the "rearranging" problem was just the same if not worse....

I decided to make some kind of a drawer for the left locker door....the rest is sort of an accident....and it worked out so well that I made another one for the other locker.....dry food will go in the left drawer...not quite sure yet what will "live" in the one on the right...

the diagonal divider is loose and can be moved to the other side....the drawers are "trapped" on all four sides....they slide in until they make contact with the back wall and the front face drops 1.5" to the floor...the front top corners drop into the opening preventing movement side to side....sort of an "accident" but it works great....secure, no movement whatsoever....

just a bunch of 1/4" ply, 1" corners, 1.5" cleat at the back and some 3/4x3/4" to protect the latch on the back of the doors....oh, and some three strand white rope to give the thing a "nautical" look"
Attached Thumbnails
backsto1.jpg   backsto3.jpg  

backsto4.jpg   backsto6.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Very nice Franswa, simple, cheap, durable, and practical. You are really making your rig a great little backcountry camper.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Outstanding! Looks like something I would do (in this circumstance, that is a compliment).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
Beauty idea. And would save the mess I had to clean up in Port Alberni last year when a bottle of red wine launched itself out of the overhead compartment (and yes, I am an idiot for putting it up there in the first place).
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot