My 1993 Bigfoot
17CB came with a single 24 size battery
on the tongue. I couldn't easily put a 2nd one there so I put it in the locker under the passenger side locker (Starboard) of the front Dinette. It only needed about 6' of dual #8 gauge wires to get over to my Magnetek Distribution Panel (With my new Progressive Dynamics Converter to replace the POS Magnetek unit!).
Very simple mod, as I used a piece of nylon rope to secure the battery
in the compartment joining the rearward one which holds the jack handles, wood blocks and other setup stuff! By a very strange coincidence, when I drilled the holes into the front panels to fish the wires from the Port to Starboard side, the wire went EXACTLY along the channel and I was able to grab it with long nosed plies, WITHOUT my usual multiple tries, cursing and (you know!)! Wow!
Tomorrow, I'll mount the Xantrex Link 20 double meter shunt on the back of the Magnetek unit and wire it in.
I should then be able to monitor all the magic numbers to ensure that all is working well and I'll know when to run my Genny, or plug in when I'm boondocking!
Contrary to some 'Doom and Gloomers', the Progressive Dynamics PD9260C has not overpowered my single battery
, and should now work even better with about 170 AHrs of battery load.
All in all, I'm pleased.
My Amateur Radio Field Day Weekend is coming up in 2 weeks and we will be boondocking
. This extra battery and monitoring will be great!