BigFoot 25RQ what mods have you made? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #21

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
120 Liter = about 31 gallons; Not big enough gas tank, especially in the mountains while towing. Also the payload on my Tundra 4x4 is low. I have a fiberglass shell, roll out bed and with 800 to 900 lbs of hitch weight I am not left with much payload capacity.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #22

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Nope....but I don t have a roll out bed....lighter contents are placed into the back of the truck and trailer cargo box.

I travel with one less propane tank, never travel with water on board and purchase much of our groceries closer to the campsite.

More fuel..more weight...10lbs/gallon.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #23

Tennessee
I really like my Tundra. But my wife likes to carry water in the TT tank and water in cases in the TT and I like to carry about 500 lbs of "stuff" like extra gas, so I am always way over my Payload.

Also last season our first with the BF 25 RQ we were on a steep "two rut" road and did not have enough power to make it up in 4x4. Granted I should not have been there, but there it is.

So for us at least, I think we need a diesel. On the other hand, I like the Tundra so much maybe we will just adjust how we camp in be less extreme in where and what we do...

Pat be on the safe side and get a 3/4 ton gasser or better yet diesel. If not new then used.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:31 AM   #24

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I really like my Tundra. But my wife likes to carry water in the TT tank and water in cases in the TT and I like to carry about 500 lbs of "stuff" like extra gas, so I am always way over my Payload.

Also last season our first with the BF 25 RQ we were on a steep "two rut" road and did not have enough power to make it up in 4x4. Granted I should not have been there, but there it is.

So for us at least, I think we need a diesel. On the other hand, I like the Tundra so much maybe we will just adjust how we camp in be less extreme in where and what we do...

Pat be on the safe side and get a 3/4 ton gasser or better yet diesel. If not new then used.
Yikes! That is a lot of weight.

Did you recently see the video of a 25 rq “ rescue” in the snow of...( I believe it was ) the hills of Nevada. Guess the owners went boondocking and were surprised with a heavy snowfall. More to the story I think cause the front (passenger) side window of the trailer was covered in plastic.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:10 AM   #25

Tennessee
Russ, We pulled into a campsite in the BF in cold but dry weather only to wake up to 6" of snow the next morning, with temps are in the high 20's. This was last fall. In prior years we were in the Casita and pretty much the same thing happened. The coldest we have camped in was in the high teens. Cold and snow just seems to catch us each time we camp because we do the early spring and late fall type of camping.

Come to think of it, the above camping schedule is probably why we can usually find a campsite in most national and state parks when needed.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:21 AM   #26

Tennessee
Patrick, if you are thinking of buying a new Tundra I just now noted a curious thing: The 2020 Tundra published specs say that the 4x4 Tundra DC with 5.7L engine and tow package can tow 10,100 lbs. I have this same set up but the label on the driver's side door jam says 7800 lbs. I am not sure why there is a difference between the years with the same set up. So check the diver's side door sticker to determine what the max weight that specific truck can tow.

Also check the payload. If you do put a shell on the truck and maybe stick to a light weight aluminum shell or a tonneau cover.

If indeed Tundra has somehow increased the towing capacity for the 2020 model year, I would recommend the Tundra with the larger gas tank over another truck, gas or diesel.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #27

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the replys. I currently have a Chevy 3500 diesel dually because I tow a 16,000 lb 38 foot fifth wheel. We want to downsize and are looking at the Bigfoot. I was thinking of the Tundra because we have been a Toyota owner for the last 25 years and love their quality and reliability but maybe I should rethink my plan. The biggest problem with my truck is having to use it for running around when we travel and my wife refuses to drive it.
Jpatrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #28

Tennessee
Same here: My wife won't drive the Tundra when towing the TT, period. She has only driven without the trailer maybe 2x, short distances in the last 8 years or so.

I also have use a Rock Guard. It becomes loose fairly quickly and sort of flaps around, no matter how much I tighten it down. But it does seem to work well enough which is why I have not tried to have mud flaps permanently installed.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #29

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Foster View Post
Yikes! That is a lot of weight.

Did you recently see the video of a 25 rq “ rescue” in the snow of...( I believe it was ) the hills of Nevada. Guess the owners went boondocking and were surprised with a heavy snowfall. More to the story I think cause the front (passenger) side window of the trailer was covered in plastic.
Southern Utah, very near Zion NP.

https://youtu.be/fcRPPxBZRmk

I saw the original version of the Video. Customer later decided he didn't want to appear, so the vid had to be edited and re-uploaded.

All of the Matts towing videos are fun to watch.

Charles
Old 12-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #30

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
If you have one of the vents that is metal framed and has the tiny fan in it, rather than removing the entire vent and putting more holes in the roof to install a different vent/fan, consider the Hengs Vortex II. It is a three speed fan that will install in the existing metal vent frame and has the gearbox and crank for operating the vent. Its not a Fantastic or a MaxxAir but its a huge leap from the tiny little fan originally installed.

The Vortex I is found cheap, but is single speed. The Vortex II is usually found for about $120 but I got one off of Amazon recently that was only $76. Since then I have seen them for about $60.

Not sure what course of action I will be taking on the BF 25B21RB I just bought with regard to the Fantastic Vent over the bed. I will install the Hengs Vortex II in the bathroom vent, and may do nothing for the time being with the Fantastic, or eventually convert it to a Maxxfan Deluxe.

I had a Fantastic Vent Fan on my Winnebago View Motorhome and installed an Ultra Breeze hood on it. The cheap travel trailer I will be getting rid of soon had a vent with no fan. When I replaced the roof, I installed a Maxxfan Deluxe which has the built in openable hood. I installed the four speed version. I favor this over the Fantastic because of the hood.

Charles

Tags
bigfoot