Bigfoot Air Conditioning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bigfoot Air Conditioning

My Dometic a/c on my Bigfoot went ker-plunk on me. It is a 11000 btu, which I always thought was undersized for the 25RQ. So, I am looking at a 15K btu Atwood Air Command (owned now by Dometic) heat pump. Pros and cons, but most reviews are favorable. My questions are:

1) Does anyone own one of these and if so, would you share your thoughts with us?
2) I have heard that the fan stays on continuously as they a/c compressor cycles on and off? True?
3) If you own a 13k btu, are you happy with the output or would you rather have the higher btu?

Thank you!
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I don't know anout the one you picked, but if I were replacing one I would choose an inverter heat pump that starts and stops quieter ans has lower starting surge if you have a generator.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
On my 2008 Bigfoot 21rb, the compressor cycled with the fan and created such a difference in sound that I re-wired it for the fan to stay on continuously when the air was on. Too much of a change when in bed sleeping.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I believe the DC inverter unit being mentioned is probably a mini split-ductless system? They look very intriguing but I can't find a place to mount the interior unit without blocking cabinet space which I don't want to do. Suggestions on a 25RQ?

Chris, what a/c unit do you have?

The original unit was a 11k btu and worked hard on hot days. I don't think I would even consider anything less than a 13 btu and most likely go to a 15k.
The 13k would be desirable because Atwood says that their unit can run on a 2000i generator which would be nice. But if it struggles in hot climates, then??? Most of our camping is boondocking and sometimes it can get rather warm, even in the mountains.

Thoughts on other air conditioner brands than Atwood?

I have a chance to purchase a 15K Coleman Roughneck Mach 8 made in late 2014 or early 2015 for $500.00. The seller says he bought if for use with his truck, but never installed it. I haven't read good things on Mach 8s. Compressors going bad, noisy even though there are kits to substantially reduce the noise, and fan blades breaking! I would be with in a $100.00 of the cost, with the upgrades, of the 15k Atwood heat pump. And a 2 year warranty, where as the Coleman would be ZERO! Seems like a no brainer.

Thanks again everyone! And if anyone has installed a ductless in a 25RQ, care to share with installation and photos?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
H had a co worker who had a roof top unit with an inverter on his Bar B Que trailer.
It had zero starting surge and worked well.
He sold the trailer and I have since retired, so I can't ask him what make it was, but I think it was a Gree.
Dometic sells an inverter in Australia, but I don't know about over here.
I have installed a mini-split on my much modified scamp, but I wouldn't suggest it for the faint of heart.
I also had extended the front of the frame when I rebuilt it to have a place to mount it.
I like the way the inverter works with no starting surge and it is very efficient and rarely runs full out. Since it only draws what it needs it is easy on the Harbor Freight Predator generator I use sometimes.
Personally I like efficiency and even more quiet.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
H had a co worker who had a roof top unit with an inverter on his Bar B Que trailer.
It had zero starting surge and worked well.
He sold the trailer and I have since retired, so I can't ask him what make it was, but I think it was a Gree.
Dometic sells an inverter in Australia, but I don't know about over here.
I have installed a mini-split on my much modified scamp, but I wouldn't suggest it for the faint of heart.
I also had extended the front of the frame when I rebuilt it to have a place to mount it.
I like the way the inverter works with no starting surge and it is very efficient and rarely runs full out. Since it only draws what it needs it is easy on the Harbor Freight Predator generator I use sometimes.
Personally I like efficiency and even more quiet.
Thanks RB!
Couple of questions if I may?

1) How hard was it to extend the frame? My Bigfoot is not configured with the extended frame and storage bin on the front. I have thought that if I extended the frame, I could modify the front for more storage, dual battery placement, etc. .

2) What size is your Predator generator and how do you like it?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Jim we have a 26' ductless Dometic 13000 BTU in our Class A MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Thanks for the responses. I believe the DC inverter unit being mentioned is probably a mini split-ductless system? They look very intriguing but I can't find a place to mount the interior unit without blocking cabinet space which I don't want to do. Suggestions on a 25RQ?

Chris, what a/c unit do you have?

The original unit was a 11k btu and worked hard on hot days. I don't think I would even consider anything less than a 13 btu and most likely go to a 15k.
The 13k would be desirable because Atwood says that their unit can run on a 2000i generator which would be nice. But if it struggles in hot climates, then??? Most of our camping is boondocking and sometimes it can get rather warm, even in the mountains.

Thoughts on other air conditioner brands than Atwood?

I have a chance to purchase a 15K Coleman Roughneck Mach 8 made in late 2014 or early 2015 for $500.00. The seller says he bought if for use with his truck, but never installed it. I haven't read good things on Mach 8s. Compressors going bad, noisy even though there are kits to substantially reduce the noise, and fan blades breaking! I would be with in a $100.00 of the cost, with the upgrades, of the 15k Atwood heat pump. And a 2 year warranty, where as the Coleman would be ZERO! Seems like a no brainer.

Thanks again everyone! And if anyone has installed a ductless in a 25RQ, care to share with installation and photos?
:this unit runs well is slightly noisy but we sleep through the noise as usually pretty tired by end of day and if in Death Valley noise is not the question. I keeps us just about where we want to be and by 4 or 5AM I get up and turn it down as it gets pretty cool there for a few hours before the sun comes up. One of these days I will have to get serviced but will have to change to a different freon as still using the same stuff it came with, and as far as I know never serviced.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, bigfoot