Bigfoot cutting board out.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Bigfoot cutting board out....

never liked the stock cutting board in my B17CB...

I was lucky enough to score some 1/2" Teak plywood a while back (a "barn find" sort of)...they don't make stuff like this anymore...good both sides and no voids whatsoever!

I made an oversize sink cover with it (gets "trapped" by the faucet base and one cleat under)...for use as a cutting board it'll be flipped upside down...lots of different places to use the thing...this kitchen of mine is getting bigger all the time...LOL
Attached Thumbnails
kitchena.jpg   kitchenc.jpg  

kitchene.jpg   kitchenff.jpg  

kitchend.jpg   kitchenx.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

British Columbia
Registry
too funny.....

and just found one more spot...by accident....(almost looks "planned" it fits so well)...LOL
Attached Thumbnails
kitcheng.jpg  
Old 06-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I'm really impressed.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
and just found one more spot...by accident....(almost looks "planned" it fits so well)...LOL
If you keep adding things like this, you're going to start ticking folks off
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:05 AM   #5

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Very cool. You're a genius.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:18 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Beautiful wood and craftsmanship. That certainly was a lucky barn find for that plywood. You made great special design features out of it, definitely pieces to treasure and enjoy each time you see them.

Deluxe A1 teak plywood is indeed a special order item and most certainly very expensive. Not something you would find in stock at a Marine lumber supplier. But if you ever get to Port Townsend, WA do go and take a warehouse tour at Edensaw Woods. One of my all time favorite places to visit.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Francois,

Before you cut food on teak, you should google "teak toxicity", if you haven't already. Also, teak is not kind to cutting implements. It contains silicates that dull knives in a hurry. I'd recommend using a flexible cutting mat on top of the wood.

OK, that's my free advice for the day.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Gord...

I'll look into both those points
Attached Thumbnails
westa.jpg  
Old 06-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Francois,

Before you cut food on teak, you should google "teak toxicity", if you haven't already. Also, teak is not kind to cutting implements. It contains silicates that dull knives in a hurry. I'd recommend using a flexible cutting mat on top of the wood.

OK, that's my free advice for the day.

Gordon
Teak has been the most popular salad bowl wood choice for longer than my 65+ lifespan
Old 06-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
yeah....

kind of what I found out.....the "toxic" part is the sawdust/dust form...much like cedar and most hardwoods if what I read is to be beleived....still....I sprayed some Pam on the cutting surface part....and geez! did it ever make that side SHINE.....LOL...might just have discovered a new cheap hi-gloss oil for WOOD.....LOL
Attached Thumbnails
kitchenf.jpg   kitchenh.jpg  

Old 06-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #11

Oregon
That is a nice looking food safe finish. I can't say as I ever thought of using it that way.

You were barely creating enough teak sawdust to sneeze at since it was a veneer layer
Old 06-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #12

Idaho
Registry
My comment was meant as cautionary advice. Be educated and make your own choice.

" You were barely creating enough teak sawdust to sneeze at since it was a veneer layer"

And guess what's under that veneer layer: urea formaldehyde, more than likely.

Do what you want.

Gordon
Old 06-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #13

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
My comment was meant as cautionary advice. Be educated and make your own choice.

" You were barely creating enough teak sawdust to sneeze at since it was a veneer layer"

And guess what's under that veneer layer: urea formaldehyde, more than likely.

Do what you want.

Gordon
People who do woodworking on a regular basis actually do know enough about safety precautions to be wearing a respirator or at least a dust mask and use dust collection as they work. You have to give people who do a lot of woodworking some credit for knowing the basics. He is obviously not a beginner at it.

Gordon you do not want to take me on head to head with who is the more educated on safety when using chemicals. But you seem determined to do that so....

Not only am I a woodworker when I was at Boeing my job as a working lead included the responsibility for the hazardous waste and hazardous chemical program for a 600 employee work group. In addition to my own work group I was on corporate teams focused on those issues.

I had to be able to read and understand information from MSDS data as well as be able to obtain from those documents the knowledge of all of the required safety precautions for its use such as respirators, gloves, ventilation, toxic sentization prevention measures, etc. I also had to know to how to safely store and dispose of the over the over 1,000 different paints, adhesives, epoxy, solvents, etc, etc that were used in our production area.

I myself actually developed and wrote the current Boeing corporate policy on how to effectively reduce the amount of hazardous material waste in workshop areas without spending a lot of money.

In the inspections done by corporate health and safety and the EPA the very large building for which I oversaw everything related to chemicals used within it was the only one in the Everett facility with zero violations for health and safety as well as EPA and fire department regulations. So just maybe I actually do know what I am talking about because it was a profession for which I received more than a fair amount of education and training versus people who just find stuff on the internet. I neither over react or under react given the materials I am working with.

As to the formaldehyde issue. They don't typically use that class of adhesives in high quality marine plywoods, they are using other types of adhesives that are more reliably waterproof for preventing delamination in wet conditions. Part of the reason the cost of those plywoods is so high is because of those special adhesives versus inexpensive formaldehyde containing adhesives. I have been buying and using those types of marine plywoods purchased from specialty marine wood suppliers for the last 20 years so of course I had a vested interest in knowing what kinds of adhesives they were put together with.

In the last decade the lumber industry as a whole has moved away from those formulas of adhesives that have formaldehyde due to litigation and also because of strong consumer demand for more eco friendly products. Even the stores prefer not to have it in their warehouse spaces since the off gassing is strongest when the product is newly made and they have to take care because of legal obligations for the health and safety of their employees.

I am wearing my 3M brand, properly fitted to my size of face, cartridge respirator today because I am removing an area of the old plywood floor in my Campster. I also have long sleeves on my shirt, long pants and am wearing leather shoes. I will take a shower when I finish and wash my clothes separately from other laundry
Old 06-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #14

Idaho
Registry
k corbin,

"Gordon you do not want to take me on head to head with who is the more educated on safety when using chemicals. But you seem determined to do that so...."

What????

I'm not trying to "take on" anybody, for anything. As I said, it's only cautionary advice. Everyone is free to do whatever they want to do to themselves as long as it doesn't hurt others. As a cabinetmaker, I was very interested in staying healthy, and still am.
Regardless of health concerns, sharp knives and teak do not play well together. Teak always wins.

Gordon

P.S. Francois did not mention "marine".

P.P.S. Try one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Piece-Gripping-Flexible-Cutting/dp/B001FB59M2/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1465768151&sr=1-8&keywords=flexible+cutting+board.
Just roll it up and stash it someplace.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #15

Oregon
Oh dear....

Well Franscious, I guess there is only one thing left that you can do at this point in time...

Take all your beautiful, lovingly crafted Teak plywood pieces, most especially the cutting board, then triple bag them and take them to the hazardous waste landfill. We can't have you or your family getting sick from Teak Toxicity and formaldehyde. So sorry this happened to you from using that barn find lumber, what a crying shame.

That is a lovely looking project which I very much admired. But remember this, there truly is nothing to criticize about it.

Unfortunately this means my best friend forever and myself will have to move out of the 40' sailboat with an all teak interior that has been his full time home for the last 25 years because there is far too much risk of our getting Teak Toxicity and formaldehyde poisoning. So sad, such a lovely interior all custom made teak cabinetry and woodwork. And OMG we just spent the last week hand polishing all the walls, cabinets and the teak and holly flooring too. I think I am feeling sick already...or am I just over reacting? No, it must be all that formaldehyde laden plywood off gassing and the teak toxicity doing it. With that much teak right next to my head while I am sleeping how could I help but be ill? I mean I never even thought of the possibility during the last 10 years until it was mentioned in this thread. I am so grateful that our lives will now be spared from these health horrors we have been living with all these years. Oh no the new puppy has been crawling around on that floor and then licking his paws and fur!!! Maybe that is why our old dog only lived to be 15?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Think I've seen it all now. Threads going sideways on TW, tug tow ratings, engines, trannys, tires, bearing repacking, WDH's, bikes on the rear for sway. But really....using/cutting/sanding teak wood for a shelf, one post of opinions should be enough for + & - to it.... unless ask for additional info, at least to me, YMMV.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot