Bike Rack Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #1

Name: Duke
Trailer: '95 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Bike Rack Questions

From what I gathered based on a search of this topic on the forums, the consensus is that a bike rack mounted to the spare tire is a bad idea. However, I'd like to still put my bikes in on the back of my Scamp for weight distribution reasons. Has anybody had any luck with one of the bumper mounted bike racks? Here is an example.

Buy.com - RV or Camper Trailer Bumper Bike Rack for 1-2 Bicycles
UncleDuke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I can't directly answer your question other than to say most of what I have seen takes a different direction.

Some options:

1. From the scamp factory or aftermarket you can get a 2" hitch receiver welded to the bumper of the trailer AND more metal underneath the trailer. Welding in both spots makes it much stronger. My scamp has an "L" bracket for a bumper and not a square steel bumper like your picture. Strength is important when you go over a bump and your bikes are hanging off the back of the trailer and bouncing up and down. Be sure your tongue weight is still high enough if you use this method otherwise you will have sway issues.

2. Use a bike rack that connects between the trailer and the towing vehicle. You have to watch total hitch weight with this.

3. This option is relatively inexpensive and may work with some setups:
Amazon.com: Heininger 1011 Advantage SportsRack V-Rack 2-Bike Carrier: Automotive

4. Put the bikes on or in your tow vehicle. (roof mount or...)

5. Put the bikes in the trailer itself.

There are a lot of tradeoffs to make. Pay attention to the various weight limits and stability when you choose a spot in order to stay safe.

Eric

ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Due to the weight of most of the really good bike rakes I dont put one of the rear so changed from putting the bikes in the trailer to the roof of the tow..... having said that I do have a nice Thule bike rack that swings down to allow the back hatch to be opened but if I was to get another I would make sure the arms the bikes sit on also swing down when not in use!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,i had scamp put one on mine when i ordered it.
i see no reason why any compitent welder can't hok you up.
they do have bolt on units and most rv dealers and that may be an option for you too.

if your riding a tank of an old steel bike your talking 40 pounds each. a bike rack maybe anouther 20 ponds or so.lets assume you left your waterbottle on your bike and say 150 pounds total. (actually you can guestimate what you actually will load yourself.)
so you compensate your loading in your trailer to move some weight back on your tongue and your good to go.

uh,,,put weight on your trailer tongue that is,,,well,,, never mind,,you know what i mean.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would really take a long look at the bumper support and frame attachment. It's the torque not the weight. Bikes are not going to bounce straight up and down so the height of the rack acts as a lever on the bumper.

Having a trailer shop weld a square hitch receiver on the rear of the trailer seems the best option IMHO as they can spread the force out to the frame. Rather than trying to make the bumper and it's welds do the whole job. Just like on your tow hitch which is not just bolted to your bumper but attaches to your frame also.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Noah
Trailer: Accessories Manufacturer
Texas
We make this one Amazon.com: Casita Hitch Receiver: Sports & Outdoors

I know it is not for a scamp but I am sure we could alter the dimensions for your application. We are currently working on a new production run and will have inventory for the coming weekend (we sold out on Saturday). Please PM any questions/comments so I don't violate any spam/advertising/trolling rules. Thanks.
GreenHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When adding a rear receiver to a Scamp it is prudent, No... Essential to attach it to an added frame crossmember as well as the bumper.
When adding one to a thirteen it is prudent to notch the bumper and place the receiver in the notch.
When attaching a reciever type bike rack it is prudent to eliminate as much slack/movement as possible at every joint or moving part.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
What I do is to put a VERY long cast iron extension onto a piece of 1/4 inch plywood that I scotch tape onto one of tail-light lenses and then I hang 23 Harleys from it. After all they do that in Botswana so it must be OK here!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
What I do is to put a VERY long cast iron extension onto a piece of 1/4 inch plywood that I scotch tape onto one of tail-light lenses and then I hang 23 Harleys from it. After all they do that in Botswana so it must be OK here!
Ladeedah, with all that fancy namedroppin! "Scotch" tape Huh?? None o'that store brand Chinese crap, for you, like the hoi polloi use.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
No no - you DRINK the Scotch and use any ol' tape that's handy!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #11

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Scotch...yuck....but Floyd is right...the rear "bumpers" on Scamps are not much more than angle iron and pretty flimsy...I wouldn't attatch anything to it directly.What I would do,is to cut out the center section ,then weld rectangular tubing directly to the frame,extended out maybe 2 feet or so.But...when you go over a curb,as in leaving a gas station,it may drag,or even hang up

"I spent most of my money on beer and women...the rest I just wasted"
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote