Black Friday Solar Panel Deal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Black Friday Solar Panel Deal

From Solar Blvd.

Exciting Black Friday Offers from Solarblvd

Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Looks like a good deal, Tom, and even the controller is a good price.
I have a question, though. I have a small solar panel for the battery....is there a small inexpensive controller for this, or can I do without a controller for the battery. Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
How small a panel Jim? You need to use a controller to protect your battery. You can pick up a cheap one (sunforce?) at Canadian Tire or if your anywhere near Burnaby their are a couple of solar shops on Boundry Rd (east side) between 1st and Hastings. Prices may be a bit higher than CT but the quality may be better, although I have had my cheap CT one for about 5 years without a problem. If heading south Harbour Freight in Bellingham also has some small controllers for a pretty good price.

I use a portable panel and I have mounted my controller in a small water proof box to the side of the battery box thats always hooked to the battery. Simply a matter of opening the box and plugging in the panel as needed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
That's a great deal. If I didn't already have solar I'd jump all over that 60 Watt panel.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Looks like a good deal, Tom, and even the controller is a good price.
I have a question, though. I have a small solar panel for the battery....is there a small inexpensive controller for this, or can I do without a controller for the battery. Thanks, Jim
If the panel is only 5 or so watts, you probably don't need a controller. That said, you can get a small controller for about $10 on eBay.

Example: Hot Solar Panel Charger Controller Regulator 10A 12V 24V CE CERTIFY Auto Swich | eBay
Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Good controller here Amazon.com: HQRP Solar 10A Charge Power Controller / Regulator 12V / 24V 10 Amp with LED Indicator plus HQRP UV Chain / UV Radiation Health Tester: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
How small a panel Jim? You need to use a controller to protect your battery. You can pick up a cheap one (sunforce?) at Canadian Tire or if your anywhere near Burnaby their are a couple of solar shops on Boundry Rd (east side) between 1st and Hastings. Prices may be a bit higher than CT but the quality may be better, although I have had my cheap CT one for about 5 years without a problem. If heading south Harbour Freight in Bellingham also has some small controllers for a pretty good price.

I use a portable panel and I have mounted my controller in a small water proof box to the side of the battery box thats always hooked to the battery. Simply a matter of opening the box and plugging in the panel as needed.
Carol, The panel measure 4 inch x 12 inch and there are two , so the output would be very low, perhaps less than 10 watts. I plan on having my $2.50 Chinese voltmeter plugged into all the time, to see the performance so perhaps a controller is not needed, just constant watching.Thanks for the message
Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Carol, The panel measure 4 inch x 12 inch and there are two , so the output would be very low, perhaps less than 10 watts. I plan on having my $2.50 Chinese voltmeter plugged into all the time, to see the performance so perhaps a controller is not needed, just constant watching.Thanks for the message
Jim
Sounds like you have a maximum of 8 watts, probably less, as these are most likely amorphous.

Quote:
Polycrystalline PV arrays have a peak rating of 10 to 12 watts per square foot, while amorphous PV arrays have a peak rating of 5 to 6 watts per square foot.
An Introduction to Photovoltaic Systems | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com
Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
this sounds like a great deal....but despite all of the reading i have done, i am not any clearer on what size panel i should get to run our fridge...we use barely any other power---if we are plugged in, sure, we'll plug in the kettle and watch a movie or show on the laptop. our lights are mostly LEDs but it's our fridge that is our main problem..it is not a propane model so we, at present, can only boondock for 2 days max.
can someone please guide me on what would be the best size solar panel to look to get....considering it's mainly to run the fridge.
thanks everyone!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
this sounds like a great deal....but despite all of the reading i have done, i am not any clearer on what size panel i should get to run our fridge...we use barely any other power---if we are plugged in, sure, we'll plug in the kettle and watch a movie or show on the laptop. our lights are mostly LEDs but it's our fridge that is our main problem..it is not a propane model so we, at present, can only boondock for 2 days max.
can someone please guide me on what would be the best size solar panel to look to get....considering it's mainly to run the fridge.
thanks everyone!
What kind of refrigerator do you have? Make / model?

If it is an absorption (silent) type, solar is not practical. If it is a compressor type, you can calculate solar / battery size needed.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #11

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
They seem like a good deal, but how do these stack up against other more expensive panels?

What a the pros and cons of these particular panels?
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Alternative to Solar Blvd

I just finished designing the 300W (no LPG) solar system for my Sprinter. I picked 3 x 100W back connected monocrystalline panels from the GrapeSolar Co - GS-S-100-TS. The 100W power from 20.7" x 40.8" size is really good. I had limited area on the roof and picked these panels. The manufacturer claims good low light performance. They are pricy but had good reviews. I believe that the RV specialized AMSolar outfit carries them as well at a decent price.

You can get them in Home Depot, Costco or other outfits. To get them from Costco you need to send the RFQ to GrapeSolar via Costco, they had the best price.

http://www.grapesolar.com/files/5513...heet_Rev-3.pdf

100-Watt Monocrystalline Off-Grid PV Solar Panel with Black Frame-GS-S-100-TS at The Home Depot

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #13

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
If we were to purchase one of these solar panels, my question is do we need to also purchase a solar controller? If so , what size and do you need to connect it to the battery all the time? I have done some slim reading on this and am confused. Seems like a great price but not exactly sure what to get and then feeling a little pressure because the sale is only one day. I know everyone is having a Turkey Coma now so if not answered it's Okay. Happy Thanksgiving All.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #14

I would recommend at least 60 watts. That fits nicely behind the roof vent or if used on a stand provides a healthy recharge capability. You need a controller. Divide watts by 12 to get amps. Too large is fine and you can add a second panel later if controller is sized for it.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #15

You can leave it hooked all the time and it will keep the battery topped off or you can connect when you need to charge the battery.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Thank you so much Tom! I appreciate your advice.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Well I ordered 2 of the 60's.
Just too good a deal to pass up to me.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #18

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Same here. 2 of the 60s. I've been contemplating a solar setup since I got the Scamp earlier this year. I've researched enough to know this was a decent deal.....but as a novice the kits were appealing. I like a challenge. so now I can add "figure out how to install solar panels" to my growing list

Oh yeah....and buy controller, cables, maybe an inverter

Let the fun begin
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #19

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I grabbed a couple 100 watt panels and the Xantrex charge controller. I have been looking at their charger/inverters for a while and figured keep with the same brand. Can't afford the one I want so I'm just collecting parts for now as budget allows. Eventually want to be self contained and have my comforts.

Jason

Here is the charger/inverter/transfer switch models I was looking at.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #20

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
I haven't figured out how best to pick a charge controller. I don't want to overspend nor do I want to be limited. So I left that for later. ....after a little more education.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar