Body Complete...I think! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
Body Complete...I think!

WOW. That is all I can say. Today I think we put the last coat of paint on the Scamp. It has taken weeks but all windows were removed, bumper sawed off, dents and damage restored, body primed, sanded, primed some more...finishing off with 3 coats of enamel.

I think the final job looks fairly good, but I will say that it is more of a "good from far, far from good" job. The paint application process was very disappointing considering the countless hours we put into prepping. I had a very bad customer service experience with the company we used, Supermarine Paint (a.k.a. Top Secret Coatings) and can confidently say that their product does not stand up to all they say it does. I cannot recommend this product whatsoever. I picked them for the main reason that they could color match--well, they couldn't. The yellow we ended up with is nowhere near the yellow we wanted. I can go on and on, but I won't-- PM me if you want details.

I am proud of the work that we did. Finished repainting the interior and the cabinetry. There is much more to do-- reinstalling the windows, door, belly band. Once we do that, it's off to the RV guy to install new tires/rims, new 12 volt system, fix bumper, etc.

I will post more pics once we finish! At least we know we won't lose our Scamp when we go camping!

morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I really like it. Yellow makes me happy!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
That looks so nice. OK ... it looks gorgeous! Really looking forward to seeing your work on the inside.

You should be very proud!

J.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Looks great in the pics! Makes me want to paint mine!

My experience with painters lately is NOT good. For me it's woodwork I had painted. Or is it just your paint supplier?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

British Columbia
You can call it a fiberglass yolk instead of a fiberglass egg now!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Cindy,
Great job! Something you can be very proud of. Do you have a yellow tug that matches the trailer?
Phil
Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear
Looks great in the pics! Makes me want to paint mine!

My experience with painters lately is NOT good. For me it's woodwork I had painted. Or is it just your paint supplier?
It was just the paint. The company is terrible.

The minimum cost we could get for a professional
Paint job was $1500 (just painting, no window removal, fixing debts, etc). Looking back it would have been worth it. But we dove in and started the job, invested in materials and paint. Maybe in a few years if our kids have not outgrown it we will get it painted!!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99
Cindy,
Great job! Something you can be very proud of. Do you have a yellow tug that matches the trailer?
Phil
No, my tug is a black suv. So I have a bumblebee scheme going I guess!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbank View Post
It was just the paint. The company is terrible.

The minimum cost we could get for a professional
Paint job was $1500 (just painting, no window removal, fixing debts, etc). Looking back it would have been worth it. But we dove in and started the job, invested in materials and paint. Maybe in a few years if our kids have not outgrown it we will get it painted!!
Yep, I took my stuff to the painter to avoid all the mess and fumes figuring pros surely will do better work than I can. Wrong, I've since improved on what they did with some sanding and spray lacquer.

Did you learn enough doing it yourself to ever paint anything again? Or did you learn you'd rather not? I'd love to learn to paint myself, my old 91 Miata needs paint and I love to be able to do it. But more likely I'll just do all the prep and let pros spray.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Yep, I took my stuff to the painter to avoid all the mess and fumes figuring pros surely will do better work than I can. Wrong, I've since improved on what they did with some sanding and spray lacquer.

Did you learn enough doing it yourself to ever paint anything again? Or did you learn you'd rather not? I'd love to learn to paint myself, my old 91 Miata needs paint and I love to be able to do it. But more likely I'll just do all the prep and let pros spray.
I think what I learned is that if you do it enough and you become loyal to a type or brand, you will do well. I watched many videos of sailors painting their boats with precision. I have also seen pictures of vintage cars that owners only use rollers with. In the end, if I thought that spending $1500+ was worth it on this Scamp, I would not have spent $500 on paint and supplies (ended up having to buy extra materials because of the paint problems) and just would have paid the professional. Although there is always pride in setting a goal and achieving it (for the most part), sometimes there are just some things that are out of our league!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #11

California
I'd say the '78 is about 78% complete! Finally got around to finishing the curtains, but there's a bunch of little stuff to do to the Scamp. It never ends! Applied a few new decals and other details. Here's a few fun pics we took last weekend.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #12

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I love it! The colour is fresh and clean looking. Even on a dull, rainy day it will be fun to play in your Scamp. Good job, inside and out.

Like Donna, the yellow just makes me feel happy!
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
The color looks fantastic. I puts you in a good mood looking at it. That shot of the dog makes me laugh.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Very cute! Bright and cheery! The critters seem to approve!
One question... How do you manage to travel with a cat?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Wow! Great job. It just looks so cute!! Love how you decorated the interior too. Even your pictures are fun!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #16

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Bet it makes you and everyone who sees you smile!
It looks great, love your fabric choices plus of course your furry friends.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Beautiful job! How much of the inside did you paint?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Love it! Great job! And it looks like your out enjoying it, that's what it's all about!

Love the sunny bright yellow!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote