Boiler 17 awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #1

Name: Colin
Trailer: Boler
California
Boiler 17 awning

Hi everyone, I couldn't see a previous thread about awnings here but admittedly I'm a poor searcher. Does anyone know if the C channel on the 17 ft boiler is standard? And if so how long it is?

Thanks,

Colin
clloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Kind of surprised that no ones answered you yet Colin. The track used on most awnings is called a "C" track. May have a techno name but that's all I've ever heard it called. Any RV supply should carry it. Not sure what the standard length is but would guess 12' although not many of our eggs will need that much. Some of the less rounded TTs use the standard RV rollup awnings and they use the c track also, the case types don't. In your case you need to measure how much flat roofline you have and check the commercial awnings offered lengths to fit both the best you can. If you're looking at a rope & pole type, like on the sites logo, you may be able to get a little longer awning because some of the curve can be used. Someone will be along now that I opened the ball .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I've always know this as just the awning rail. I replaced my bag awning on my Boler1300 and it was a bit longer and width from top to bottom was also a longer by 3 inches so I had to move the "awning rail" 2 inches higher on roof so it would clear door.
On doing this I needed an "awning rail" that was a 90 degree rail because awning now sits on flatter top of roof.
My RV dealer aquired this rail for me and it came incremental sizes and I had to cut it down from a 10 footer....Rail didn't cost too much but the shipping was 2X the cost.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Yes, there is a "techno name" for that "C" channel rail extrusion. It's called Keder rail, and is commonly used with conventional "Rope and Pole" awnings and "Bag" awnings. I didn't like the factory installed Fiamma awning that came with my trailer because it didn't seal up tightly to the side of the trailer, and water would come cascading down the side of the trailer whenever it rained (hey, I live in the Pacific Northwet (sic), so I removed it, and now I have a section of that Keder rail on the side of my trailer for a R&P awning.
Now whenever I slide my R&P awning into it, there is no more water running down. I also have a pop-up Clam screen room shelter as well if I'm going to be somewhere for several days, but if I'm only setting up for a day or two, I'll just use the slide-in awning.

I also had an extra piece of the rail left over after my awning project, so I used it to make a small slide-in quick set-up table for the side of the trailer. It's basically an aluminum "full sheet" baking pan with some odds and ends of scrap aluminum strap for an angled removable support leg. All aluminum, no rust and light weight. It's also handy to the outside 120 volt outlet too.

http://nepcosignsupply.com/store/pc/...dCategory=1835
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail1 (Small).JPG   Keder Rail2.JPG  

Casita 011.JPG   Casita 007.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

California
As always I appreciate the replies. That's a cool table mode Greg.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Boiler 17 awning

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, Colin. I take it you have a Boler 17, and you're looking to add an awning rail, right?

They are not all the same, if that's what you mean. Some have the C- channel at right angles to the flat mounting strip for installation on a vertical sidewall. Others have the C-channel at an obtuse angle for mounting on the roof.

Most rounded eggs like your Boler would probably use the latter and mount somewhere along the curved transition from the sidewall to the roof.

Length is limited by the compound curves in the corners- you have to put the rail on the straight part only. The size of the awning also comes into play- some only come in a few standard sizes, and you'd probably want to match the rail length to to the awning.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #7

California
You're correct Jon, the question was poorly worded. We have a 17ft Boler we are getting an awning for but don't have access to it right now as it's in storage so cannot measure its length to size the awning. The c channel is mounted on the vertical sidewall. I was just wondering if they came as a standard length or in different lengths installed from the factory.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #8

California
Got a chance to measure the c channel and it's 10 feet long. We would like to get a rope and pole awning made. Right
Now looks like vintage trailer supply is our best bet, has anyone gotten an awning elsewhere?

Cheers
Colin
Old 05-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Also try Marti's Awnings. She seems to offer the widest fabric selection, if that's important to you. I haven't compared prices and have no personal experience with either.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Also try Marti's Awnings. She seems to offer the widest fabric selection, if that's important to you. I haven't compared prices and have no personal experience with either.

Got an awning from Marti. Awesome service, great selection of fabric, good quality, love itClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	109143
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Congrats Colin, looks nice.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags