Boler Bag Awning - Should I buy 7 foot or 8 foot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Boler Bag Awning - Should I buy 7 foot or 8 foot?

Could not find specifc answer to this....

I am going to order a bag awning for my 13 foot boler from below. I have no rail yet and am trying to figure out if I should get the 7 or 8 foot awning. I see that the awning (as per below) is 4" less than specified and the bag is 4" larger. Should I get the 8 foot or 7 foot ?? I want maximum coverage but need to be careful with the curve of the Boler shell. Ideas??? Photos?? thanks!

Classic Bag Awning starting at $162.00

Get instant protection from the sun at a price much less than you would expect to pay. It's easy for one person to set-up in minutes. Everything stores neatly in a weatherproof zippered 16-oz. travel case that slides into the vehicle's awning rail. Telescoping aluminum uprights and rafters are attached to the front rail. When you need shade or shelter, simply unroll the awning and extend the adjustable 7' tall uprights. The travel case can be left on the vehicle. The Awning projects out from the vehicle 7'.

The actual width of the awning fabric is 4" less than the size on the awning.

The Nominal Mounting Height is 99" from the awning rail to ground

The Bag Assembly hangs down approximately 6". Should you have a clearance issue, I now offer a Roller Wheel. This attaches to your door to help prevent the door from damaging you bag assembly.

The overall size of the storage bag is 4"-5" larger than the awning itself.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
My Uhaul has a 7' rope&pole awning which fits perfectly without running into the curve of the trailer. You'd be best to take a tape measure out and check the distance.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

anyone?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Here is the site. The height is not the issue as the legs will adjust. I went with the 7 footer. The curve of the Boler will not allow the 8 footer to sit right, its just too long and will look rather bad when just sitting on there. Mine was a total of $248 including shipping to WA. That includes the extra $20 for a dark grey version not listed on their site and I bought the wheel for the door in case I need it. The awning rail is included for free and of course the bag that it stores in whether on or off the trailer. John, the owner, helped me out and was awesome. Will post picks in the 3-4 weeks when it arrives. Its custom due to the colour I ordered http://www.rvawningsrus.co​m/shop/catalog/product_inf​o.php?cPath=30&products_id​=37&osCsid= eec02e040c2138b​73f9702db9abf1076
Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
good price! - looking forward to seeing it "in action"
dmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabomb View Post
good price! - looking forward to seeing it "in action"

Here are some pics of it installed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2986_1.JPG   IMG_2988_1.JPG  

IMG_2987_1.JPG  
Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Kurt!!!! You've done a great job on your Boler.

I believe the 8ft awning mighta looked out of place on your Egg.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #8

thanks, and yes I am very happy with this one. I wanted one for years and finally bit the bullet.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
im looking for a grey version
hows does this set up
i see no lines no ropes
can you put a screen room on this
awesome trailer
i went total grey on my egg
and my rail that was on the trailer is 7' 5" long
Attached Thumbnails
photo(1).JPG  
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #10

hey kurt ive sent you a couple pms regarding the awning

wanted to know how these set up it seems in the picture you have no lines
no ropes is this just to show real quick

anybody else have any input regarding this awning and its set up and take down
and addl pictures from anybody

thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #11

Name: garyc
Trailer: 1987 scamp 5th wheel
Florida
Registry
I also have this awning and screenroom. As long as you are carefull putting it up it is great, as the poles are not real heavy duty. And yes it has poles that run from the outside of the end of the awning to the camper to stiffen it so you do not have to use guide lines. Tha screen room is actually long for a scamp because the height of the camper is suposed to be at 90 some inches and mine is at 84. look at my profile for a pic.
garycoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #12

the company shademaker says they can custom make the screen room to the size needed im going to probably go with them once i decide on a color. they are sending me some swatches to look at.....my second purchase will be a screen room after i install and measure what i need

so any problem setting up with one person thanks for the info
Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #13

sorry, for the delay....

the awning is good but I would consider this model more of a fair weather awning. I am sure it would keep things dry but admittadely I would use it more for shade than water.

The awning does have pipes that go back to the trailer. The end of the awning is a piece of boxed aluminum where the 4 poles mount....2 poles that are vertical and the 2 that go back to the trailer.

The vertical poles fold out from the boxed end and then extend to increase their length where you twist them slightly to keep them extended. they have hooks at the bottom for a tent like stake to drive through into the ground....there is no rope.

the horizontal ones that go back to the trailer extend like the horizontal ones. they have a ball on their ends that clip into some plastic mounts/receivers that you mount on the side of the trailer slightly below the awning rail. the aluminum horizontal rails keep it fairly sturdy....mainly in adding some support for the vertical rails.

There is velcro on the top of the fabric for mounting the side screens....I did not buy these though....This would only be a bug type screen I suspect....it would not be water tight...in my opinion.

They are a bit cumbersome to put up your self....maybe I just have not found the trick yet...but its getting up the vertical poles by yourself thats kinda clumsy like......disassembling and rolling it back into the bag is a snap.

sorry....no more photos at the moment as the bag is currently off the trailer....

just fyi, I did not have an awning rail. it does come with from that company but its bright white....may look off on yours. I was trying to get an older all aluminum one to polish up before installing but could not find one locally. I installed mine with pan head screws..... 8 in total I found to be ample.

Tags
awning, boler