Boler Cabinet finishing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Boler
Lake Forest Park
Boler Cabinet finishing?

I have a 1978 Boler that had the wood cabinet boxes. I have built all new cabinets and am looking for opinions on weather I should put finish on the inside of the cabinets. Part of me says I should finish both the inside and outside to prevent them from absorbing moisture. Then I think that if all sides are sealed if they do get damp they will not be able to dry out quickly and will rot. What have others with wood cabinets done or what would you recommend?
Thanks
MBlais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Alberta
What did you make them out of? I would think a good construction grad plywood could take some moisture, but then may be prone to a bit of warping over time too. I had to take into consideration that when then trailer is stored over winter here, it will be experiencing well below freezing temps.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlais View Post
I have a 1978 Boler that had the wood cabinet boxes. I have built all new cabinets and am looking for opinions on weather I should put finish on the inside of the cabinets. Part of me says I should finish both the inside and outside to prevent them from absorbing moisture. Then I think that if all sides are sealed if they do get damp they will not be able to dry out quickly and will rot. What have others with wood cabinets done or what would you recommend?
Thanks
For the sides that don't show mix up some thinned 20 minute epoxy and brush it on like paint. Will protect against water and much more. When I flew Glow powered RC airplanes that is what we did to fuel proof the plywood bulkhead the motor mounted to as well as any bare balsa wood in the motor compartment. You can thin epoxy with alcohol. Just be aware that you can't paint over the surfaces you do this to without extra preparation so plan and prep accordingly.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #4

Name: Mark
Lake Forest Park
Thanks. I have made them out of clear vertical grain fir frames with Birch plywood to cover the frames.
MBlais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
You covered CVG fir with birch plywood?.... on purpose?
Anyway, whatever you do on one side should also be done equally on the other side. That's just woodworking law.
Good luck.
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler