Boler Fix / School Project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Hi all i was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on a boler im fixiing one up for my connections project at school and i want it to stand out and be awsome if anyone could suggest anything it would be great u can pm me the suggestions. ty
Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Boy, what kind of school do you get to go to? Restoring a trailer is a lot hipper project than we ever got to do! How fun!

I had boring classes like.. photography and.. cooking (I flunked that one )

It sounds like you have a blank slate.. start on the outside and give it a wild paint job. There is no RULE that says they have to be all white, or simple 2 tone like most are. Pick something you like and make it a theme inside and out.

What are your interests beside fixing up trailers?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #3

Well i go to a public school and every 2 years everyone in high school must do a major project and connect to class like im using Consumer and computer Apps. and on may 4th is presentation day and we get a day off to showoff or work and our familys and frineds come to see it. My only problem is im kinda low on money haha. I am also intersetd in snowmobiling. I was aucally planing on turning my boler into a hunting shack and modding the tires so that i could put on skis Well thats all for now
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
im kinda low on money
oh.. that can be a problem

There are lots of "Face Lift" type things you can do to make it outragious and not cost a lot. In the states we have 99 cent stores with all kind of inexpensive things to decorate with. I am sure Canada has something like that.

It's mostly junk from overseas, but close out things are there too. 1/2 my trailer is done in 99 cent shiek You could get your project done and THEN spend the money as you get it to turn it into a hunting rig.

Spray paint and stencils could work.. if you snowboard, maybe a lot of stickers "tastefully done" with different snow or skateboard manufacturers etc.

I work for a musical instrument manufacturer, and kind of by accident, my trailer has a Fender guitars theme. (Hey, I get this junk for free )

Does your trailer needs structural work? Is it campable already? Or do you need to do a bunch of work to get it usable?

If you need to get it usable, you can maybe think of some way to use coolers, lanterns and other tent camping things instead of trying to get the electric and propane stuff going. Used camping gear is cheap! Cutting out spaces for this stuff doesn't cost a dime, and could be done with used lumber etc. Once again, paint is cheap.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Yeah thanks that will really help me out alot i like to snowmobile and theres a sled shop in town but i play a tenor sax is there anyway you could send me a yamaha sticker or anything? and it is in campable cond but its all white and i want it to be a "pimping Wagon" haha If anyone reads this thread and has stickers for like DC or K-swiss Could They Please Mail Them to me? At box 1024 boissevain Manitoba R0K0E0 carson wilkinson that would help me out alot
Old 01-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...In the states we have 99 cent stores with all kind of inexpensive things to decorate with. I am sure Canada has something like that.
Here they're usually "dollar stores" - doesn't everyone say prices are a bit higher in Canada?
But seriously, everywhere I've been has them, and they really are most-items-for-$1, or at least relatively cheap. Good source of cheap kitchen stuff for occasional use in the camper, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #7

Im not looking for interior stuff to do to it im looking more as exterior like i want to paint it black but my dad wont let me because it would be too hot but i dont want it to be a egg i want to do it as white and with thin flames along the bottom any other ideas?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #8

Does anyone think that shag carpet would be a good idea i want it to be 70's kinda
Old 02-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Does anyone think that shag carpet would be a good idea i want it to be 70's kinda
I don't...talk about a dirt/grass/moisture catcher.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Carson, it's stange how that works. Black not only makes it gather heat in the summer, but in the cold weather the heat inside radiates out best from a black color. So it's sort of like a "heads I win, tails you lose" proposition.

I did some experimentation on this. Originally I thought aluminum paint would be about as good as white, maybe better. Turned out it was worse, significantly worse.

You could go to an auto wrecking and perhaps find a good deal on a set of 3 mag wheels. Often a wreck will crunch one wheel and there aren't many folks who just want to buy three wheels. Another option might be to 'french' the tail lights and clearance lights.

Your dad may have opinions on this also. DAMHIK*.

Good luck!

* Don't ask me how I know.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Carson, you are onto a neat project. Recently someone posted a trailer done with lightening bolts all over it. The job was truly a knockout. Unfortunately I think the pictures of that rig got lost when we were hacked. Still, if you check what some of our members have done and then let your imagination run wild you can come up with something you'll be real proud of. Inside, most concentrate on theme curtains and build on that. Outside, the sky is the limit.

Good luck with your rebuild.
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:14 PM   #12

WOW mag Wheels thats a awsome idea ty today was my 1st day off of school to work on it all i did today was replace the running lights and re glue the fake wood inside ( like to cover the spaces between where the insulation was cut) cocking doesnt stick to well to it haha. ill keep u updated on my progress and try to get pic as i go along but im on dial up so it takes a while to load them to the site haha ttyl
Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft

Click image for larger version

Name:	452204052ZXwrIv_ph.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1308
The trailer with the lightning bolts is called "lightningBug". I can't seem to find who it belongs to at the moment but I have the pictures. The file is rather large, !.35MB. If you or anybody else can't find them I will slowly e-mail them to you. It truly is nice.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #14
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
ill keep u updated on my progress and try to get pic as i go along but im on dial up so it takes a while to load them to the site haha ttyl
[b]Carson, If you downsize your pics before you upload them, it really isn't that bad, even with dial up. Remember, for display on a monitor, the resolution only needs to be 72 dpi; pics come out of the camera at 300 dpi or more to make a nice print; all that extra data is unnecessary on a monitor, and in fact makes the pics too big to display without scrolling the screen up and down and side to side. We suggest pic files of less than 80k, with 500 being the maximum number of pixels on the longest dimension. Set the compression in a mid-range, and 80k or smaller file size is easily achieved, with great looking results on the website! For more info on preparing images for uploading to FiberglassRV.com, look at our website tutorials ... that is, of course, if you don't already know how to do it.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Im not looking for interior stuff to do to it im looking more as exterior like i want to paint it black but my dad wont let me because it would be too hot but i dont want it to be a egg i want to do it as white and with thin flames along the bottom any other ideas?
Sounds like a great project, Carson! What part of Canada are you from? My husband and I snowmobile too, well, except for this year...NO SNOW! I'm curious as to how you'll be towing your Boler AND a sled.

If you're looking for info about painting your unit, I may be able to pass some along - I'm in Southern Alberta. I had my unit painted with automotive paint by a professional. I'm happy with the results - no orange peeling, a minimum amount of fish-eyes (mostly on the door, which flexes), and one crack along the top which I'm sure they'll patch when I take it in. The older units are a nightmare to do. We were quoted (year before last?) $3,000 CDN for a full paint job. I've never met anyone who'll do it for that price twice. There are two hiccups you may want to know about before you start:
1. The prep work is a nightmare, especially if there are hairline cracks in the gel coat. Putty and sand...putty and sand...putty and sand....and more sanding...and more sanding...and more.... The units flex, especially the doors, which makes filling the cracks a bit tricky. The shop which did our unit kept putting it off week after week. They were working on it; it's just that the prep wasn't up to standards for the painter.
2. Because of the unit size, if you're doing a baked-on coat (like mine), you'll need a pretty big oven. Most automotive shops have small ones. That means that if they DO have a big one, they're paid more for it which means $KA-CHING$ when they transfer the price back to you.
Having said that, the results are FABULOUS! Our matches our truck. [Well, it was SUPPOSED to match our truck, but it seems to have turned out a tad darker. I've seen that happen to other units that have been recoated with autopaint. Not a big deal, it still looks like a "set."] Anyway, if you have the time to put into it, re-painting the exterior can produce great results. After having gone through all that work, though, you may be a bit reluctant to do some of the more "wacky" mods. If you'd like to take it out to remote areas, I've seen a unit where the guy replaced the wheels and suspension and raised the axle so he could take it into the bush. He had hugely aggressive tires on it and reported that he took it over fields, through streams,.....
I also saw one at the Prairie Bolerama last year where the guy put spinners on the wheels. He fixed the inside of his unit to accommodate a large, flat-screen tv, too. You'll find his unit posted on this site:
http://community.webshots.com/album/412441905NYjbdt
There's more pix here, too. Don't forget to check the bottom of the website:
http://www.sasktelwebsite.net/kobitzm/

Have fun with the project - and please post the before and afters!

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #16

Yeah Well i live in manitoba so and at a lake aobut 15 mins from town so i can sled to town if i have a spair and dont hafta be there or if i have exam at noon. I was looking at spinners from canadian trire but there like 60 bucks each and i dont wanna spent that much but i am buying underglows for it. About 5 min walk from my lake is a compgrounds so i can jsut camp out there and party. Ive gotta 04 sabercat 500 and a 440 sno-pro both loads of fun!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1700
Quote:
Yeah Well i live in manitoba so and at a lake aobut 15 mins from town so i can sled to town if i have a spair and dont hafta be there or if i have exam at noon. I was looking at spinners from canadian trire but there like 60 bucks each and i dont wanna spent that much but i am buying underglows for it. About 5 min walk from my lake is a compgrounds so i can jsut camp out there and party. Ive gotta 04 sabercat 500 and a 440 sno-pro both loads of fun!
Hi Carson,
Sounds like a really neat project! How much lead time do you have until it must be finished? I know here in Ottawa, there are companies that do a shrink-wrap type product to wrap on vehicles for advertising purposes. If you had enough time, you could try contacting snowmobile companies to see if they would cover the cost of wrapping your egg with a company ad, logo, graphics etc? (free advertising for them!!)
Debby
Debby Liuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #18

Hey wats up all ill be pulling my boler with my dads f-150 super cab as for the rims ive decided to go to canadian tire and buy some 14" hub caps does anyone know how to recharge the fridge like i had a guy look at it he said it wasnt freeon it had amonium and we had to charge it or sumthing. Next wednesday is my 2nd day off to work on connections and ive been working on it after school ever since its been loads of fun. The only problems i have faced is the frigde and the lights also does anyone have any ideas how to get back to orginal colours? ive tried a high pressure steamer and oven cleaner but it they dont work that well any help?

Oh yah these are the hub caps im putting on.
Attached Thumbnails
0412532_450_CC_2ef53.jpg  
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #19

Hi all i was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on a boler im fixiing one up for my connections project at school and i want it to stand out and be awsome if anyone could suggest anything it would be great u can pm me the suggestions. ty does anyone know how to go back to orginal colour ? ive got about 3 coats of paint
Old 03-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
<span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">Yup!</span>
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler