Boler Mods. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Gina, paint chips are a sign you use your trailer . I'd only worry about it if it got bad enough to cause structural problems. Maybe you need to change out (or add) mud flaps on the tug?? How about the type of mud flap that goes all the way across the bottom of the bumper on the tug....it goes on when you tow, and off when you don't.

It's a "to each their own" kind of thing. But I have seen a picture of super thin diamond plate that was curved to fit the front end of an egg...lost those pictures to the hacker unfortunately, so it is doable.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #42
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Sorry girls, I am a neat freak. I just do not like chips in the Gelcoat finish. Some times I drive my wife up the wall. I guess she has learned to live with it after 45 years.
All the snowmobiles I sold were like show room condition. As one dealer said "you could eat a meal off the engine."
I can't help myself!!!
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #43

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Con, have you considered a color tinted spray on truck bed liner such as a Linex? ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #44
Con

No I hadn't Benny, but I will certainly do some research into it.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #45
Con

Benny, Here is what I have found so far under Linex and Rhino Coat. Both are available in colors. The specs look good for both products. I will do some more research.

http://www.rhinoliningsaz.com/Rhino_Lining...plications.html
http://www.innernet.net/rhinoscpa/page3.html
http://www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/protec...colorpicker.jsp
http://www.line-x.ca/linex/loc1.htm
Old 01-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I tried that spray on bed liner stuff from Canadian Tire.You better know what your doing.All I had was a big mess and had to scrape it off.I would go to a pro to have it put on.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #47
Con

Good point Chester. I would have do that in any event for that product as you need the right equipmnet and it is quit toxic.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #48

Trailer: 2005 Escape B
Our Escape had, as an option, 2 foam-backed vinyl pads that snap onto the front lower corners w/ 6 snaps each. Protects while you drive and then unsnaps and goes to storage very easily.
Andy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #49
Con

How about some pictures Andy?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #50

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Hi Con,
I've come to know a handfull of hot rodders up your way but THATS another subject. The snap tab idea works REAL well but I do not use it. I have had the same texture stuff on the front of our Trillium that is on most rocker panels of newer cars/trucks and painted the whole trailer "In Your Face White"!!
Many rodders down here use the snap tab idea usually with a KQQL color matched "hot tub cover" fabric. Easy to remove when not needed. You might try some industrial strength "velcro" instead of the tabs
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #51
Con

Ok Doug, I have been thru almost every little town in B.C. including Horsefly, but you have got me fooled. Where the heck is Iron Mountain?. I know quite a few of the hot rodders here. One of my nieghbours is Vic Nordie who is well known for his air brush murals, pin stripping and candy paint jobs and building street rods. I have helped him on numerous occasions on show cars etc.
He did our 74 Ranchero in Candy Tangerine.
Anyhow! I think I know the product you are talking about. Another good idea.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #52

Registry
Iron Mountain; as in Iron Mountain Golf n Country Club, aka Eighteen Pastures is almost in my back yard. Eastern edge of Maple Ridge at the border with Mission, just off of Dewdney Trunk Road.

In all, including our two rides there are no fewer than 10 rods, customs and/or classic cars in a two square block area around me here on da hill. Although there is only one other 13ft Trillium in our neighbourhood, the Trailer Goddess and myself are the only ones that have yielded to the desire to own/keep and foster a Glass Egg the way one should be cared for. Any chance we could talk ya into coming on down to Ft. Langley for the May long weekend to partake in our groups Get Together? There's almost always a handfull of Gear Heads there and this spring event I have asked members of Mission Klassics car club to attend instead of the long trip (quite often in the SNOW) to the Blossom Run. Klassics members have about 15 Glass Eggs in their rouster of T/trailers, MANY colour matched or at least done with a theme of some sort.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #53
Con

Well that is very interesting Doug. My wife is from Maple Ridge, lived a block from the Hammond Ceder Mill.
The May long weekend sounds like that could be a blast. We have had our ex-llama farm up for sale for 3 years and only a couple of real insulting offers. Because of that we have not been straying too far.
I had thoughts of going out to Sask. for the Bolerama last summer but that didn't pan out.
Keep me posted on the gathering and I will see if I can fit it in.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #54

Registry
Con, can ya get someone to llama-sit for a long weekend? We are going to get there the Friday of the event just after noon and because I need to work that Monday early a.m, we will leave there Sunday night after supper. We live only a coupla kilo's north east of there!
Old 01-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #55

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I would like the source for the stainless steel clamp/fastner for securing the front gravel shield. I would like to replace all my rusty hardware with stainless steel.
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #56
Con

Any Marine supply should have them. They can range in price from about $8 each for pressed SS snaps up to about $65 each for cast and polished SS. I bought the pressed SS and gave them a quick polish on my buffer. The hanger clips I had to fabricate from 1/16"sheet SS as there was nothing available.

They made a great difference in appearence and will never rust.
Most of the stuff I have hunted for in the RV suppliers is junk. Poorly made, and I know in a matter of time I would be replacing stuff again. The actual cost difference was very little.

We have a little hole-in-the wall marine store here called Marine Plus and he has been a tremendous source of SS, weather stripping, bonding agents etc.

Hope that helps
Old 01-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #57

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Concerning custom water tanks:

I made a custom grey water tank for our Avion more than 20 years ago and it is still in good shape. It is nestled between the frame rails in the back just ahead of the factory black water tank.

I made it with 1/2 inch marine plywood, rather expensive but worth every penny in this applicaton. The bottom and three sides were reinforced with gussets made from pressure treated 2 x 4s miter ripped to 2 inches on a side. All was glued with waterproof glue and screwed with stainless screws.

A flange of 2x2 pressure treated was made around the top to screw the lid on. The inside was lined with thin black polyethylene, (I used one of the large extra strength garbage bag liners). The lining was wrapped over the top edges, then the tank was filled with water to stretch the plastic liner into the corners and crevices of the tank and stapled on the outside of the tank walls. A marine grade fitting was then installed for the drain.

A top was made with plastic covering the bottom side of the marine ply. Marine grade fittings were installed for the fill and vent lines and a marine access plate was let in for cleaning or servicing. The top was then screwed onto the tank using liberal amounts of liquid nails adhesive at the joint.

The liner sticking out from the joint was trimmed flush and the whole assembly was painted with a good quality marine paint -- several coats. It is still just fine, fully functional and looks like in another 20 years would still be the same.

I have never had to clean, tighten, service or do any maintenance on this and would do it again. I don't see why it wouldn't work for any type of water tank. Boats use often use this type of construction for fuel tanks, except they fiberglass the outside instead of using a bladder on the inside. The fuel pickles the plywood so there is no deterioration.

Just thought I'd pass this on as a idea for getting wierd shaped water tanks at a reasonable cost.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #58

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Loren, the bladder-in-a-box idea sounds like a creative and effective solution to the need for a custom tank. It seems that the same box construction, using a fiberglass surface finish like the boat fuel tanks but on the inside, would be another option for water tanks. Has anyone tried that?

Even though it hasn't been necessary with Loren's grey water tank, I like the idea of potentially being able to open the box up to change, replace, or add fittings as the trailer details change.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #59
Con

Myron, I ran out to the shop and took some closeup pics of the front window Rock Guard hardware to give you a better idea.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1093
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0001.JPG  
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #60
Con

A few more.