Boler Voyageur 1300 Reno - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #101

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Jay on your back bumper receiver did you weld it on yourself and if so did it try and burn through the bumper metal being thin as it is?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #102

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Hey Johnny,
I haven't really welded in a really long time so I went to visit my brother who welds more regularly. We didn't have an issue with it burning holes into the bumper / frame at all. I expected some issues with welding since almost all the pieces that make up the carrier are different thicknesses. There were more issues attaching the aftermarket carrier to the 2x3 stock actually. Other than that the welding process was smooth and a good time visiting with my brother and nephew.
By the way, I went camping at the Pinery on the Victoria Day weekend and the spare was still attached when I got back home. I'd call that a success (so far)!
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #103

Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I'll assume that the blemish is on the door as it's the only part showing....

have a close look at the door...every fridge Dometic makes has removable panels...it's a cinch to take the top trim off and slide anything you want in there....

I made the mistake of taping something to the upper (freezer) door...the simili wood finish came off with the tape

I found a map of my favorite area and it's now the front of my freezer
Hi Franswa, I see your from Vancouver island. I'm in Campbell River. Cheers.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #104

Ontario
Registry
The new fridge is almost ready to install. I planed down the backside of the door insert that I made last spring when I rebuilt the door for my old fridge and it slid in perfectly. I also made a maple frame to go around the fridge to make it match the rest of the kitchenette,in design and size. Should have it installed this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge rebuild 3.jpg   fridgerebuild 3b.jpg  

Old 05-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #105

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
looking good Jay. I will upgrade mine next year to propane
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #106

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Jan,
I put the fridge into the trailer today, I tried my best to fill all the extra space in the cabinet with styrofoam (polystyrene), my hope is that this will help with the cooling factor too. I decided to replace all of the propane lines too, so that needs to be done next.
We have a big trip at the end of the month, out to BC (from Ontario) and then up to the Yukon and hopefully to the Arctic circle before returning home. So I am starting to get anxious about getting everything done in time. Nothing like working right up to the deadline, I guess.
Jay
Old 06-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #107

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
thats going to be a great trip. I have to travel to Alberta end of June, so basically making sure mine is 100% road ready. one thing I will add before the trip besides finishing the PO rock guard in making a bracket about the spare tire for a high mount brake light. Way too many crazy truckers on our mountain highways that ride your ass
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #108

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Working to the deadline is the best way to work! I'm heading east this year with my boler (also from Ontario) heading all the way to Newfoundland. I am hoping for a west trip in the next few years.

I am just hoping I can make mine slightly presentable by then.
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #109

Ontario
Registry
Hey Jan,
Yep, big trip alright. We have been travelling across Canada the last number of years. We thought that with this being the 150th Anniversary we should do something we had never done before. I have to say that travelling with the Boler has made our passion for travelling a whole lot more enjoyable. Maybe we'll pass you on the road!

Lercs,
I seem to always work right up to the deadline, have to admit that I do like the adrenaline rush though. We went out to Newfoundland the year before we bought our Boler. It was our second trip (first with the kids) and we loved it. Easily my favourite province and I've been to them all. Have a great trip!
Jay
Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #110

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Thanks Jay, I have also been to all the provinces (as a kid on road trips with my parents) I'm glad to see others do that with their kids. As much as I hated the bordem in the car (this was before dvds and all that) I have fond memories of those trips.

This will be my first time to "the rock" as I have only visited Labrador before. Have fun and I'm sure you will get everything done in time!
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #111

Ontario
Registry
Rubberized PlastiCoat

Getting ready once again for a big road trip. Thought I would try out one of the ideas I found here on the forum. I bought a couple of cans of Plasticoat at Canadian Tire and put a few layers on the front of the Boler. If it works like advertised I should have a whole lot fewer stone chips by the time I get back home.
It's not a permanent solution, which is actually why I opted for it. At the end of the summer I should be able to just rub it off if I want to. Curious to see how it works.
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
rubberguard1.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #112

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I like that idea Jay! Let me know how it works. I found some chips on the front of ours (we painted it 2 years ago) after only a handful of trips. We repainted in May and I have a tongue box now which offers some protection but I still think I need something there so that might work well. Looks good too! I so want to go to the 150th but with our son starting school in the fall and being self employed I am not sure yet if we can take that much time off from our small business.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #113

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I like that idea Jay! Let me know how it works. I found some chips on the front of ours (we painted it 2 years ago) after only a handful of trips. We repainted in May and I have a tongue box now which offers some protection but I still think I need something there so that might work well. Looks good too! I so want to go to the 150th but with our son starting school in the fall and being self employed I am not sure yet if we can take that much time off from our small business.
Hey Johnny,
after my last two summer road trips I had some pretty serious chips in the front of the Boler. I remember the very first time I even drove it I got tons of chips - guess that's what happens when you live on a gravel road! I wasn't ready to make a permanent stone guard so I thought / hoped that this might do the trick. I double checked and the product is actually called Protect Dip 2.0. Guess we'll see if it does what I hope.

The 150th is a big thing for some of us up here in Canada. my family is really excited to celebrate and have planned this year's summer trip as a culmination of our cross Canada tours. After this summer, I will have taken my kids to every province, been to the farthest point East (Newfoundland) and all the way west to Vancouver Island as well as to both the Yukon and the Northwest Territories. Our hope is to actually drive the Dempster Highway as well this summer (without the Boler - talk about stone chips!) at least to the Arctic Circle and maybe to Inuvik. It's a massive trip and the most distance we have ever traveled in one summer but it seems like the perfect year to finish off seeing as much of this amazing country of ours as we can.
We're pretty excited and we head west this coming Saturday on Canada Day of all days. If you see a little red Boler heading west and north make sure to honk and wave!
Jay
Old 07-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #114

Name: Joan
Trailer: Companion
Michigan
Registry
wow!
Joan of Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #115

Ontario
Registry
Hi Joan, thanks for the comment.
Just a quick update on the Protect Dip rubberized spray. It has done a great job so far. We have travelled around 14,000 km in the past 3 weeks and after going west to Vancouver Island we are now in Whitehorse, Yukon. The stone guard worked well, I still got a few hard chips into the gelcoat but the front of the Boler looks really good, better than any other summer road trip. I would use it again.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #116

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
The interior was in good shape, especially the cushions and we really liked the colour of them. The wall covering though needed to be removed. Some mice had made a little nest in one of the cupboards and most importantly to us, we wanted a different colour!
The kitchen base cabinet is one thing I just do not understand about Boler design. I might just be a little too uptight but the asymmetry of the cupboards and that seemingly misplaced electrical outlet drove me nuts, so there is another definite project.
I was unhappy about the shelving in the closet too. The black drywall screws thought the white fiberglass just didn't work for me and the shelves were in need of replacement too - looks like another project.
Oh and the red cabinet doors look nice in a photo but the painting was not up to my dream camper standards either.
The Fridge looks pretty rough but after some work and lots of research and conversations I figured out how to make it work, and it works great, too. Now I just need to clean it!
here is the interior as it was.

So the reno list for the inside was:
Replace all lights with LED,
Redesign the kitchen cabinet,
replace the rat fur / headliner,
redo the closet,
fix or replace the cabinet doors,
put in a new floor (vinyl planks),
We really want a new backsplash too.
Hi Jay! We have a 76 13ft Scamp and have completely gutted it and are stumped over what kind of insulation / wall covering to put in. I have been thinking about a thick roll of vinyl flooring with possible carpet or the same vinyl on the ceiling.....very worried about the corners at each end so any help is greatly appreciated. Love your pics of your little gem!
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #117

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
red paint

jay welcome can you paint it red? can you come by and redo our 13footer?

just funning

glad your here

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #118

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatr1 View Post
Hi Jay! We have a 76 13ft Scamp and have completely gutted it and are stumped over what kind of insulation / wall covering to put in. I have been thinking about a thick roll of vinyl flooring with possible carpet or the same vinyl on the ceiling.....very worried about the corners at each end so any help is greatly appreciated.
You can still purchase ensolite insulation without the vinyl facing. You could put a layer of that down and then cover it in "rat fur" or something else. I'm not sure you can paint the non-faced ensolite. Here are some links:

https://www.foammart.com/p-456-ensolite.aspx
https://www.scs-interiors.com/ensoli...-material.html
https://www.professionalplastics.com...ITEPVC-NBRFAOM
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #119

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
noted

jay your camping life so much like ours scamper 13f we have no solar here don't want any. we camped out at quartzite didn't run our battery down a bit I have a monitor on it by the way. we have no running water we carry 6 or 8 gal water jugs 1 gal per day it can be done!

I don't care if we get cell-fone reception I don't need instant ccontact with anyone we do use tablets for wifi while boondocking at walmarts!

I think the kitchen drawer design is the most stupid thing I have ever seen also!

I like all the things you have done!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #120

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatr1 View Post
Hi Jay! We have a 76 13ft Scamp and have completely gutted it and are stumped over what kind of insulation / wall covering to put in. I have been thinking about a thick roll of vinyl flooring with possible carpet or the same vinyl on the ceiling.....very worried about the corners at each end so any help is greatly appreciated. Love your pics of your little gem!
Hi Bob,
I really wish I could provide more answers and help out more too. I originally had a headliner (ratfur/ carpet) in my Boler. When i removed it - you can see I removed most of the cabinets and benches too- I kept the old carpet, labelled each piece as it came out and used it as a template for the new carpet/ headliner I purchased.
I went to a few different autobody shops looking for replacement headliner but none of it met my needs/wants. I eventually ended up in Paul Neumeister's shop about an hour away from me. Paul is a big deal in the Boler world and I am lucky to live nearby. I bought a left over roll of headliner from Paul. It just so happens that it is the same roll Paul used to redo his 15 ft Boler (beautiful trailer by the way). Unfortunately, I was so excited to have found the solution to my problem, I never asked Paul what it was or where it was from. So I cannot pass on any info regarding what to replace it with.
I understand why people appreciate their ensolite. I love my carpet - personal prefernces I guess.
I had some trials re-installing the ceiling but the rest went on easily. I would highly recommend the process to anyone, but it is essential to have a template. The trick to the corners is that the sheets have a curved taper. the end and side walls are pretty much straight but the corners come to a point behind the upper cabinets, which were a separate carpet piece on the interior.
Hope you find a solution, and thanks for the compliment,
Jay

Tags
boler, boler reno, boler trailer, interior, little red trailer, red boler, remodel, restorations, scamp