Boler Voyageur 1300 Reno - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #121

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
jay welcome can you paint it red? can you come by and redo our 13footer?

just funning

glad your here

bob
Bob (2?)
Thanks! Not sure I am ready to go into the trailer painting business! It was fun, but my garage floor is still red in many places! I am however, itching to repaint the trailer, there are a few stone ships and honestly, I really had fun!
As for redoing your 13 footer, all the fun is in making it your own and I still have few more mods to do to mine...

Thanks for the compliments too. As for camping simply, I am sure that I am like you in that we go away to get away. Life is busy, work and households have there inherent distractions and living an honest simple life with less is a joy. You appreciate more of what you experience. Our Boler has been a great addition to our camping experience.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #122

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
simple

jay this is why after my back surgery very difficult 2x by the way I had to find the simpliest solution for my camping we tent camped for 41 years all over the world hard to give that up. I settled on the 95 scamper 13f no dodads nothing to fix or work on in my condition.

the only thing I don't have is a power tongue jack yet as the way the guy extended it out there is no conventional way to mount one. But I make it the rest of the way with the wifes help.

at 76 now I cant take on much if I strip it out I know I wont every finish it and the trailer is in really nice condition. So I will live with what I have and be thankful for what has been given me!

I do so admire you guys who have the skills, imagination and energy to not only attempt what you do but to have the drive to finish up your projects.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #123

Ontario
Registry
Well Bob, I appreciate the kind words. I also think it is fantastic that you are still camping.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #124

Ontario
Registry
Last summer we took the Boler out to Vancouver Island and up to the Yukon, even popped into Alaska. It was an amazing trip, we went close to 20,000km in July and August and while we didn't tow the Boler up the Dempster highway we did manage to drive to Inuvik and then fly to Tuktoyaktuk. I thought I would post a few of my favourite glamour shots. The last one was taken on our drive home through Northern B.C. - Glad I was keeping my eyes on the road!
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0979.jpg   _MG_6473.jpg  

_MG_6848.jpg   IMG_2684.jpg  

_MG_0244.jpg   _MG_8971rainbow.jpg  

_MG_9766.jpg   _MG_0873.jpg  

_MG_0645.jpg  
Old 02-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #125

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
franswa I am about the same point I have a small 12v battery on the tongue. I have no need for much more matter of fact if that battery goes out I am going to a smaller battery! no tv here either.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #126

Ontario
Registry
Wish I was there!-Boler 50th

Well gang,
Watching all the stories on the 50th reunion this week sure makes me wish I could have made it too! We are heading out camping at Wheatley Prov.Park today to celebrate with the family.
A shout out to everyone at the big celebration! Hope you post lots of pics,
Jay
Old 08-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #127

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
Last summer we took the Boler out to Vancouver Island and up to the Yukon, even popped into Alaska. It was an amazing trip, we went close to 20,000km in July and August and while we didn't tow the Boler up the Dempster highway we did manage to drive to Inuvik and then fly to Tuktoyaktuk. I thought I would post a few of my favourite glamour shots. The last one was taken on our drive home through Northern B.C. - Glad I was keeping my eyes on the road!
Jay

Thank you for your awesome post, made me a little home sick for the Yukon. We picked up a little 13" boler I am doing up, not a full restore but close. I loved reading all you did to restore yours, and the wonderful memories you have made.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #128

Ontario
Registry
Hi Nancy!
Thanks for your kind words. We love our Boler and sure have had and continue to have great times with it.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #129

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Good morning Jay,
I'm just working my way through your thread...awesome job!! I will be replacing my "belly band" trim piece in the next while. Could you tell me where you got yours and how did you attach it?....rivets again.
Thanks!
Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #130

Ontario
Registry
Hi Shanos,
The thread is not as detailed or straightforward in some areas, sorry. In my defense, I was working on the trailer daily for a couple of months and I must confess I didn't post as regularly as I meant to. The day after I finished the trailer we headed out on a long trip. Hope you can make heads or tails out of my posts.
As for the Belly band, I just bought 3/4"x3/4" bright aluminum channel in 8 foot lengths from Home Depot. I bought 5 but it only takes 4 to wrap around the Boler. The 5th one was my practice piece. If I hadn't been feeling pressure to be done I might have had fewer ripples.
And yes I simply riveted it onto the fiberglass lip.
Jay
Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #131

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Thanks Jay! I will hopefully have the luxury of not being rushed! And good plan to have a practice piece...I've never bent metal before.
Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #132

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Alright, here are a few more pictures. I made a jig to bend the aluminum "C" channel, I used some small clamps to slowly bend the aluminum to shape. It took a while and I had to go slow so that the crimping would not be excessive.

Great work on your belly band.

Can I ask you a few questions:

• What size C Channel did you use?
  • Where did you sourced the C channel used?
  • Did you have to use several lengths to get all the way around the camper?
  • How did you address the seems between each piece of channel?
I appreciate your time.

This is a project of mine that is a couple weeks away.

Thank you.
Mark
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #133

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
Great work on your belly band.

Can I ask you a few questions:

• What size C Channel did you use?
  • Where did you sourced the C channel used?
  • Did you have to use several lengths to get all the way around the camper?
  • How did you address the seems between each piece of channel?
I appreciate your time.

This is a project of mine that is a couple weeks away.

Thank you.
Mark
Hi Mark,
Sorry for the late reply, not sure how I missed your question! I hope you found the answers above.
Thanks for the kind words.
Jay
Old 03-17-2021, 06:50 PM   #134

Registry
I would love to see some close up pics of your bending jig
Quote:
Hi Mark,
Sorry for the late reply, not sure how I missed your question! I hope you found the answers above.
Thanks for the kind words.
Jay
Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #135

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
I would love to see some close up pics of your bending jig
Hi Mark,
Well did you ever watch Antique Archaeology while it was on? Your comment sent me out into the workshop digging through tubs of scrap wood. Before you start envisioning me as a pack-rat let me defend myself by explaining that I keep most jigs that I make, no matter how simple they are.
Here are some pics for you, I hope that they help.
The jig is simple"
- A piece of 5/8" thick pine with an arc cut in it, sandwiched between two 1"x4" pieces of pine.
There was a 1/2" thick piece of pine (I can't find this) with the matching curve cut into it that fit inside the 5/8 x 5/8 aluminum c channel. (I know my posts say 3/4 but it is wrong).
- the green tape was used to make everything fit snug and to keep the bright aluminum from scratching.
- the curve matches the curve of the Boler corner (sorry about the blurry photo, it was 10 pm in March in Ontario)

The process:
SLOWLY and GENTLY
- fit the c channel into the jig with the 1/2" pine inside the channel.
-Apply gentle and slow pressure to the 1/2" pine piece (the jig top) using C clamps.
If you go too fast or if your fit is too loose you will get major ripples in the sides of the aluminum. At best the ripples are very slight.
I made my arcs a tiny bit wider than the actual curve of the Boler shell and used a little force at the final riveting stage to get them to fit snug and firm on the Boler.

Post #40 in this thread has some nice shots of the jig in action.

I really hope this helps. I'm not a pro restorer just a guy who likes to figure things out and this worked for me. Best of luck and I hope this helps you find your path.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6765.jpg   IMG_6766.jpg  

IMG_6768.jpg   IMG_6769[2629].jpg  

Old 03-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #136

Registry
Hi Jay,

Those are excellent instructions. About to begin my own bending next week.

Thank you.
Mark
Quote:
Hi Mark,
Well did you ever watch Antique Archaeology while it was on? Your comment sent me out into the workshop digging through tubs of scrap wood. Before you start envisioning me as a pack-rat let me defend myself by explaining that I keep most jigs that I make, no matter how simple they are.
Here are some pics for you, I hope that they help.
The jig is simple"
- A piece of 5/8" thick pine with an arc cut in it, sandwiched between two 1"x4" pieces of pine.
There was a 1/2" thick piece of pine (I can't find this) with the matching curve cut into it that fit inside the 5/8 x 5/8 aluminum c channel. (I know my posts say 3/4 but it is wrong).
- the green tape was used to make everything fit snug and to keep the bright aluminum from scratching.
- the curve matches the curve of the Boler corner (sorry about the blurry photo, it was 10 pm in March in Ontario)

The process:
SLOWLY and GENTLY
- fit the c channel into the jig with the 1/2" pine inside the channel.
-Apply gentle and slow pressure to the 1/2" pine piece (the jig top) using C clamps.
If you go too fast or if your fit is too loose you will get major ripples in the sides of the aluminum. At best the ripples are very slight.
I made my arcs a tiny bit wider than the actual curve of the Boler shell and used a little force at the final riveting stage to get them to fit snug and firm on the Boler.

Post #40 in this thread has some nice shots of the jig in action.

I really hope this helps. I'm not a pro restorer just a guy who likes to figure things out and this worked for me. Best of luck and I hope this helps you find your path.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #137

Ontario
Registry
Glad to help Mark. Best of luck, I'll keep an eye on your thread for the results!
Old 04-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #138

Ontario
Registry
sagging roof

This spring I decided to finally address the dirty little secret of my little red Boler. I'm really embarrassed to say that my roof sags.

Back in 2015 when I first started renovating my Boler I was not naive enough to believe that I would actually ever be done working on it. I figured that my little trailer reno would be a bit like my house renos...a neverending project. For the most part that is true, I have continued to make little changes and repairs - I'm on my third fridge! I've improved things that I did the first time around or even had to repair some of the original mods but this is the biggest project I have done to my little red trailer since I put it on the road. All the same, I am going to add this series of posts to my original build thread since it is a continuation of the original project. If you want to read along, please enjoy and offer comments and advice.

While I have had almost 6 years to figure out a solution to my sagging roof I wasn't convinced of the solution until I did some more serious reading and investigating. I'm embarrassed (again) to say that the solution is simple and many people have posted about it. The issue is that my Boler doesn't have the kitchen supports. I was hesitant to believe this was the issue because as far as I can tell, my trailer has never had the supports. But after some fiddling in the trailer I have managed to remove the sag!

I have decided to make some changes and correct the sag in one project. I will install some supports and re work the kitchen cabinet a bit.

Here are a few pics of the work from the past few days.
Here is a picture of the frame work I made to level out the roof. I discovered that the kitchen side was almost 2" lower than the door side. The car jacks were used to level the two sides.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_5042.jpg  
Old 04-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #139

Ontario
Registry
Cabinet support

I used another jack to slowly lift the upper cabinet to about 21 1/2" which seemed to keep the roof level when I relieved pressure on the larger framework.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_5043b.jpg  
Old 04-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #140

Ontario
Registry
Support

I think I spent the longest trying to settle on what I wanted the support to look like. I decided that a natural look would fit our taste best so a few walks through the woods behind our place provided a few choice options.

Here is a first test fit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210409_113705.jpg  

Tags
boler, boler reno, boler trailer, interior, little red trailer, red boler, remodel, restorations, scamp