Boler Voyageur 1300 Reno - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #141

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Good investigation and successful outcome. Looks great!

I agree that the kitchen cabinet supports (along with the closet on the opposite side) are essential for supporting the roof. I had a Boler 13 with the kitchen cabinet support, and the roof was still fairly symmetrical after 40 years.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #142

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Digging deeper

I'm nervous about the new pressures of supporting the roof with just the fiberglass. I decided to reinforce the base cabinet and the upper cabinet with plywood.
I also have a strip of cabinet-grade ply to add to the front bottom edge of the upper cabinet. Even the gentle slow lifting of the cabinet created pressure cracks in the fiberglass. I'm hoping a little support will strengthen the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210416_114132.jpg   IMG_20210416_114124.jpg  

IMG_20210416_114222.jpg  
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #143

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Nice job Jay. I too have constantly made modification and improvements to my original plans for our custom Boler interior. Just finished some plumbing changes and a pump upgrade 2 weeks ago for our shower as well as some modifications to my concealed air conditioner. Now I am working on the upgrading the shore plug and modifying our permanent bed so we can have a U shaped bench and a round dinette table. Also planning a drop down counter top over our son's bunk/bench so we can have a counter when its not used as a bed or bench. After these upgrades I have a 16' Casita that I am going to widen to 8', add 6" of height and 6' of length to the body along with a new custom frame. If it all works out I may use that one as a plug to make more from a mold.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #144

Ontario
Registry
Hi John, Thanks for the feedback. It's a bigger task than just putting in posts but I am already really happy to see my roof flat!
Old 04-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #145

Ontario
Registry
Hi Johnny,
I enjoy working on my trailer too, just like you. It is a good way to keep busy!
Nice to hear from you again!
Old 04-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #146

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I agree that you need to consider the stress on the cabinets when installing supports. Your idea of reinforcing the back side of the cabinets is a good solution.

In my 1974 Boler 13, the kitchen cabinet support was actually bolted into the side of the base cabinet thus avoiding stress on the countertop.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #147

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for that info John! I Did not know that. I considered putting a rabbet onto the bottom of the support but decided to flush mount it.

In fact, since we have never used our sink or taps I have removed all of them and I am making up a wooden counter top for the base cabinet. I will flush mount both the left side and right side supports to the new counter top. I don't want to add a whole lot of weight but I would like to make a nice study support and cabinet set up.

I sure appreciate the insight.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #148

Ontario
Registry
I used PL Premium to glue the pieces of plywood to the cabinet sides. I did the same in the upper cupboard. A project like this reminds me that I don't have enough small and medium clamps!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210418_155829.jpg  
Old 04-30-2021, 06:34 AM   #149

Ontario
Registry
The last week or so I've been busy working on a new counter top for the kitchen. We decided that if we were going to add supports then we might as well go ahead with removing the sink and putting in a new surface. I took an old maple dining room table apart thinking it would be a quick process of removing the leaf and gluing the two ends together. I ended up at my neighbours cabinet-making shop to use his jointer. We discovered though that the whole table was warped from years in the basement!
Scott is a great guy though, he ripped up and glued the whole table and by the next day we had it trimmed to size. It is so great to have a friend with a professional woodworking shop.
Of course the fiberglass cabinet isn't really square so it took me a bit to add the skirt, again I used every clamp in my shop. Scott said I could borrow some from his wall of clamps but I made do.
Since I removed the sink we decided to install a drawer on the left side of the cabinet. I already have a false drawer front attached, I'm now in the process of making it a real one. Hoping to get that finished up today.
Unfortunately, when I lifted the upper cupboard, the angles changed and my original maple doors no longer fit. They are too tall now and they hang crooked. They both sag towards the centre. I'm still pondering that solution.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210420_105333.jpg   IMG_20210420_164825.jpg  

Old 05-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #150

Ontario
Registry
Kitchen Reno

It took me a little longer than anticipated but I finally finished up the countertop and cabinet supports.
As usual, there were a few more add ons and extra steps along the way.
I am very happy with the finished look and looking forward to all the extra storage space created by removing the sink. Most of all I am relieved that I have apparently solved my sagging roof issue!
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_5042b.jpg   IMG_20210409_113722.jpg  

IMG_20210529_155717.jpg  
Old 05-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #151

Ontario
Registry
Kitchen Reno

I managed to put a second drawer in on the dinette side, which required a little Fiberglass repair of course. The biggest challenge was fitting the box that holds the gliders and drawer into the cabinet itself. And like everything else in a Boler trying to decide what I considered level or square for reference!
In the end I am happy with how the drawer matches the one I built 6 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210529_162729.jpg  
Old 05-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #152

Ontario
Registry
After trimming the doors on the upper cabinets, I had to drill new holes for the hinges which meant more fiberglass work. I also decided to glue a strip of plywood in the bottom by the doors to strengthen the cabinet. One of my early attempts to lift the cabinet created cracks in the corners of the door openings (more fiberglass repairs). On a whim and because of an offhand comment from my wife, I thought some aromatic cedar on the ends would make the cupboard smell nice.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210416_114124.jpg   IMG_20210416_114216 (2).jpg  

IMG_20210529_162812.jpg  
Old 05-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #153

Ontario
Registry
Kitchen Reno

The cupboard supports were the whole reason that I began this project and we had been talking about a natural look for ages. I started by walking through the woods behind my house and collecting some interesting branches. I actually chose to only cut branches that overhung the fence line into the farm field, knowing that they will be cut off anyway.
I went through a few different pieces but we liked the way these two had a bend to them. I especially liked the one on the dinette side.

Can't wait to actually have a chance to get out camping this year and make use of the new kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210529_155810.jpg   IMG_20210529_162937.jpg  

Old 06-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #154

Ontario
Registry
I made the mistake of using Bondo as body filler when I began working on my trailer in 2014-15. Somehow water worked its way under the paint around the roof vent and the Bondo has disintegrated.
I spent the morning sanding and scraping. I'm thinking about trying an epoxy-based body filler. We'll see!
Has anybody else used one?
Old 06-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #155

Ontario
Registry
I think I got it all out!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210609_201750.jpg  
Old 06-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #156

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Bondo, as in polyester body filler?
Mixed correctly it is impenetrable by water and about anything else, 'cept a grinder.
I've never used epoxy anything on my boler and won't, just polyester resin, fiberglas and quite a bit of Bondo with never a problem. Bolers are made of polyester resin and 'glass and I dont think mixing that with epoxy is a good idea.
Fred
Beauiful trailer!
Old 06-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #157

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Bondo, as in polyester body filler?
Mixed correctly it is impenetrable by water and about anything else, 'cept a grinder.
I've never used epoxy anything on my boler and won't, just polyester resin, fiberglas and quite a bit of Bondo with never a problem. Bolers are made of polyester resin and 'glass and I dont think mixing that with epoxy is a good idea.
Fred
Beauiful trailer!
Hi Fred,
Thanks so much for the compliment and the feedback.

I stopped by an independent auto supply shop and chatted with the owner yesterday (in the parking lot) and he recommended a polyester body filler that was not Bondo brand. I am in the process of finishing up the repair around the roof vent.
I do not know what caused the "rot" except that the vent is a low spot on the trolley roof. I have tried my darndest to return the roof arc but even my most recent kitchen supports still have not produced a complete fix. The paint had peeled around the vent and the bondo broke up a bit.
I hope the new repair lasts a little longer.

BTW Fred I fully agree with your signature line. I am by no means an expert in any of the skills required to remodel my Boler, but I sure have fun doing it!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #158

Ontario
Registry
Finished up the repair around the roof vent. I know I didn't feather / blend the edge of the repaint. Truthfully, the trailer is probably due for a full repaint in a few years so I'm not going to get too worried. Besides, it's pretty much only Truckers that can see the roof!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210613_112613.jpg   IMG_20210613_151049.jpg  

Old 06-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #159

Ontario
Registry
Today I removed my front tongue jack and disassembled it. I have had trouble flipping the jack up when attached to the hitch receiver of the tow vehicle. I lowered the swivel bracket by two inches, repainted it with some truck bed spray and I'm good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210614_201026.jpg  
Old 05-24-2022, 06:40 AM   #160

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Hi Jay,
Just went through the photos of your reno…great work!! I’m just finishing my complete reno and like you, want to put a new belly band on. And also like you, I hate to pay the price and shipping for the c-channel from Scamp. I’m surprised that you were able to bend the stuff from Home Depot! Can you give me any more details on how you bent it and attaching it? Sounds like it was a big job!
Many thanks, Shannon
Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, boler reno, boler trailer, interior, little red trailer, red boler, remodel, restorations, scamp