Bumper - 1986 Perris Pacer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2024, 07:55 PM   #1

Name: Red
Trailer: 1986 Perris Pacer
Idaho
Bumper - 1986 Perris Pacer

I recently purchased a 1986 Perris Pacer that will be my next project. Previous owner took great care of it so this is really an upgrade project of sorts. Thats said, it it has a false fiberglass bumper that I would like to replace. Any ideas/recommendations for this newbie?

I see Scamp sells one but Customer service said it’s only 48” which is a tad short for the existing mounts. Curious if anyone has any experience with their bumpers?

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge on this forum!
_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I replaced my OEM sewer hose "tin foil" bumper many years ago with an actual 3" X 3/16" thick heavy duty chunk of square channel, welded to the rear ends of the main frame rails, so I can mount any standard 2" hitch in it. I used my Sawz-All to cut off the tin foil bumper and replaced it with the thick channel tube. I also added additional support brackets between the main frame rails and a section of trailer hitch "receiver tubing" underneath so I can carry my Stow-Away roto-molded storage box on the back of the trailer. Three pieces of metal, a little welding, and done.

And the sewer hose now lives, coiled up, in a round plastic bucket inside the Stow-Away box, along with a lot of other stuff. Not a lot of heavy stuff, but bulky "take-up-space" stuff. BTW, I also stand on the top of the box to wash the rear roof section, and fully loaded with all the gear, (and my 250 Lb. carcass standing on it,) it doesn't even groan.

And, as an aside, if I ever needed to evacuate the trailer in an emergency, (assuming I couldn't take the 3 steps to the door,) I would open the rear window and kick out the screen, (like it wasn't even there,) and use the Stow-Away box as an escape slide, Forget about that stupid Emergency Escape window. I'm not going to ever use that, only to fall out the window, land on my head, and break my neck. I'm going to land on my feet.
Attached Thumbnails
RearBumper.JPG   ReceiverHitch2.JPG  

ReceiverTubeandCrossmember.JPG   IMG_0004_2 (Medium).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:58 AM   #3

Name: Red
Trailer: 1986 Perris Pacer
Idaho
Wow, that looks great Casita Greg! Thanks for the pics. I want to add a hitch to mine which is what drove this idea to add a new bumper so we can toss a small bike rack on the back.
_red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perris pacer