Burro on flatbed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
I've been talking about it for awhile, but today I actually combined my Burro and flatbed truck. Yesterday I cut the tongue off and welded in a gusseted crossbrace to re-join the 2 frame rails. today I forked the Burro on to the flatbed to see how it fits and to make some measurements for the mounting brackets. Tomorrow I'll make the brackets and lower it into it's resting place.

My idea was/is to have a trailer that can be used as a camper for longer trips and easily converted back to a trailer for shorter trips with my smaller truck. After i return from my trip I'll bolt the tongue back on and can use it with little notice as a trailer.

I'm going to put a bike rack on the roof of the cab for 2-3 bikes or for additional storage. I have enough room under the back of the trailer to build a hitch rack off the truck to have additional storage behind the vehicle. I may build a rack for the front bumper to put my dirtbike on as well. I'll post more details as the mounting is completed.
Attached Thumbnails
on_truck1.jpg   on_truck2.jpg  

tongue__1.jpg  
kyle minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
Question

It's a little strange looking. Do you have a ladder to get in the front door? Hopefully if you have to go outside in the night you'll remember where you are, or that first step out the door could be a looloo.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #3

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
I'll admit that it's a bit odd but it's highly functional for my purposes and ya, duh, it will have a ladder. I'm driving to Alaska, and ferrying back on the Marine Highway. The ferry charges by the foot which would add about $1k to the fee if it were in tow. I also am not a fan of dragging these somewhat delicate creatures over the terrain that my truck can easily handle. If I had a lot more time, I would take the flatbed off and build a custom sub-frame to lower the trailer about a foot. I've spent way more time on the trailer than anticipated so will have to run what I can.

I also like being a little bit higher for a couple of reasons. The view is better, critters are less likely to get in and it's way more Beverley Hill Billies than anything else around.
kyle minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
I'll admit that it's a bit odd but it's highly functional for my purposes and ya, duh, it will have a ladder. I'm driving to Alaska, and ferrying back on the Marine Highway. The ferry charges by the foot which would add about $1k to the fee if it were in tow. I also am not a fan of dragging these somewhat delicate creatures over the terrain that my truck can easily handle. If I had a lot more time, I would take the flatbed off and build a custom sub-frame to lower the trailer about a foot. I've spent way more time on the trailer than anticipated so will have to run what I can.

I also like being a little bit higher for a couple of reasons. The view is better, critters are less likely to get in and it's way more Beverley Hill Billies than anything else around.
Several of us that have similar rigs have used a folding stair setup that we got from JC Whitney. Mine is 5 steps and extends to a vertical height of ~ 5 ft. It can be permanently mounted outside or fold it up and carry it inside like I do. I find it handier than a ladder.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Neat setup, Kyle. Sounds perfect for your planned trip, and I like that you have the flexibility to use it as a tag-along trailer too
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
You got yourself a rolling little penthouse suite up there.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #7

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
When you finish the bolt on touge modification I would like to see detailed pictures of that.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro