Cabinet hardware - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: Scamp13
Florida
Cabinet hardware

Painting my Scamp 13 cabinets soon and decided to "go all out" and replace the hardware too (hinges, knobs).

Anyone have suggestions where to find the hinges? I'm guessing just the big box hardware store but thought I'd ask to make sure there wasn't any special size consideration or tips someone might have.

All the screws removed fairly easily. My only concern was after removing the cabinet faces, I noticed that a few of the cabinet doors had "swollen" at the edges and the laminate "wood" look facing, though still intact may peel in the future.

I sure want to avoid having to remove that stuff and hoping to just paint right over it. It wasn't noticeable until I removed the doors from the cabinet and with the new paint and hardware will likely remain unnoticed.

Any feedback from someone who's replaced their cabinet hardware? Should I be concerned with some slight swelling of the cabinet particle board if the facing is still intact? The trailer is a 2013 and well cared for so I do not suspect water damage. Just Florida humidity.

Thanks, Karen

KarenN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenN View Post
Painting my Scamp 13 cabinets soon and decided to "go all out" and replace the hardware too (hinges, knobs).

Anyone have suggestions where to find the hinges? I'm guessing just the big box hardware store but thought I'd ask to make sure there wasn't any special size consideration or tips someone might have.

Thanks, Karen
Karen,
I replaced several hinges on my Scamp cabinets and found near perfect matches at Home Depot. Good luck.

WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks!

I appreciate the quick reply, David! That's where I'll go, then.

Karen
Old 01-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
I appreciate the quick reply, David! That's where I'll go, then.

Karen
Let me know if you have trouble finding what you want. It may take me a few days, but I can probably chase down a HD part number.

The replacement have actually worked better for me than the originals. They seem to have a bit more tension in the open position and on the top hinged doors will now hold them open.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #5

Florida
Hinged doors stay open

Oh, that's good to know. That may help other owners as I know that's a Scamp pet-peeve that the top hinged drawers don't stay open and require both hands to access.

What you Indep mentioning, which metal finish did you get? I'm looking for the brushed nickel.

Thanks again, David.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Not sure if you have Menard's in Florida, but they have plenty of choices of exact matches as well. Take one of your old hinges with you to compare. I replaced all of mine and painted all the doors - came out well, but I didn't have any swelling of the doors.

Good luck. This is a nice easy update that makes a big difference. Be sure to prime the doors before painting for the best coverage. Two coats of good primer, then two coats of gloss paint worked very well.

By the way, I also went with brushed nickel on white doors - nice.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #7

Florida
Re: painting cabinets

Thanks, Lyle!
Great advice!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #8

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
HD in Fl. sells the same hinge as Scamp uses in brushed nickel. You can buy them in contractor packs (10 ea.) for about $13. I just bought a pack two weeks ago.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:33 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks, Eddie! The brushed nickel will look best I think. Not sure why Scamp has so many different finishes. Sink faucet is chrome, door handles silver, hinges antique bronze. Looking to achieve one consistent metal finish in my camper so appreciate all the feedback!
Karen
Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Cabinet hardware

Quote:
...Not sure why Scamp has so many different finishes. Sink faucet is chrome, door handles silver, hinges antique bronze...
Low bid, perhaps, and a man in charge?

In any case, updates are easy and relatively inexpensive. Have fun and do post the results! Lots of us looking for ideas...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #11

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Hi Karen,

If the hinges are in good shape and your budget is tight, just spray paint them...

I've done this for many projects and have been happy with the results.

Tondra (Tonnie)
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I don't know if you have them down there, but out west we have ReStore which is Habitat for Humanity's "thrift" store, and they often carry hardware With some of them event stocking, new stock and the profits go to a good cause, but we've had luck finding overuns that contractors had ordered for a project and had to many, but it was the perfect amount for us, decent quality stuff.

squish is offline   Reply With Quote