cabinet reinforcement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13' front bath
California
cabinet reinforcement

I plan to mount a 19" TV to the side of the pantry cabinet. The TV plus the mounting bracket will weigh 10 lbs. What type of material can I use to strengthen the fiber glass so it won't fracture? Has anyone had experience attaching something of this weight to a cabinet? The TV bracket will be extended when viewing, but collapsed when traveling so that the TV will be flush against the cabinet.
robt-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Put a piece of wood on the inside of the cabinet. Bolt through the cabinet into the wood. If possible have that piece of wood big enough so it fits flush with the floor of the cabinet. This will add strength to the TV bracket. Make certain you have some method to secure the TV so it doesn't move around while under tow.

Post pictures when you're done
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
pics....

pictures would be nice....but in most cases the easiest way to do what you propose is the use of plywood backing....drill a few holes in the fiberglass to allow your mounting screws to attach to it...not the FG...the ply (inside the cabinet and thus unseen) with distribute the load/stress over a much larger area...hope this helps
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #4

California
cabinet reinforcement

Thanks for the suggestions. The cabinet I'm working with is very small since this Scamp 13 has the large bed. The fiberglass side which I'll be mounting the TV seems to be 1/4" thick and has little give. I'll back it with a piece of 5/16" ply which I have in the shop. The cabinet has 2 factory installed shelves which add strengthening. I'll be hanging the TV bracket between them. Still in the planning stage, installation is some time down the road. I'll post pictures when complete.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
All good ideas....that 10 lb tv will weigh a lot more first bump you hit. We used to lay our tv face down on the mattress while traveling so as not to rest my mounting skills.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
+1 on the wood reinforcement and a detachable mounting bracket. Last thing you need is a tv bouncing around.

Through the valley of death.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought two of these. $10 each, Prime shipping. One piece screws to the bracket, the other to the television. Slide the two pieces together when wanting to view the television. Slide apart to take the television down.

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Mon...=1&*entries*=0
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
One night when we stopped to camp we opened our trailer door and discovered our TV and half the mounting bracket lying on the bed . I put 8x32 stud on the back of the TV and when we get to our destination I mount the TV to the bracket using washers and wing nuts. Ten lbs hanging out in the middle of nowhere while bouncing down the road is a recipe for disaster .As Donna D suggested you should install a wood backer for the TV mount ( plywood because it does not split or crack.) and a means of additional support for travel.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #9

California
cabinet reinforcement

I want to thank everybody for their helpful suggestions. I want to clarify the weight distribution a little bit. The bracket weighs 3 1/2 lbs and will extend 17", the TV weighs 5 1/2 lbs. It's a Samsung 19". The stress on the cabinet siding will be maximum when viewing the TV. When traveling the bracket will be collapsed and the TV will extend about 6" from the cabinet side and will be strapped down. I have yet to decide how I'm going to do this. I'm going to brace the inside of the cabinet with a piece of 5/16" plywood. Unfortunately the TV is not easily removed from the bracket otherwise I would place it on the bed while traveling. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt-the-red View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The cabinet I'm working with is very small since this Scamp 13 has the large bed. The fiberglass side which I'll be mounting the TV seems to be 1/4" thick and has little give. I'll back it with a piece of 5/16" ply which I have in the shop. The cabinet has 2 factory installed shelves which add strengthening. I'll be hanging the TV bracket between them. Still in the planning stage, installation is some time down the road. I'll post pictures when complete.
Sounds like a plan... my television has been mounted on the side of the cabinet for twelve years. The bracket is bolted through a piece of plywood placed inside the cabinet for reinforcement .
I have used this same method on both my deluxe and my sister's Standard front bath.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0104.JPG   DSCF0103.JPG  

DSCF0102.JPG  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
The ply is the only way to go for the mount. Not sure if I would use a bungie type strap....to much give for my liking. A Velcro strap is very adjustable and secure.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
If yo are really worried about this just use a plywood/fiberglass/plywood "Sandwich" instead of just a piece on the inside of the cabinet.

Then use wide headed bolts outside and T-Nuts on the inside and this will not budge at all.

I did this on 2 Trillium that I have had and it worked out great on both.
I use mainly Baltic Birch and I think 1/2" but don't remember that detail well either?
Ease the edges and poly or stain to match the rest of the rig and then bolt thru both pieces and you wall can not flex as the wood will make the wall rigid where it is.
I made mine a lot bigger than it needed to be but back then TVs were a lot heftier than they are now too!

Also just so you know,I hang TVs for a living every single day and am obsessed with worry free mounting on every install,EVERY INSTALL!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0522.jpg   IMG_0535.jpg  

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
The ply is the only way to go for the mount. Not sure if I would use a bungie type strap....to much give for my liking. A Velcro strap is very adjustable and secure.
If you are referring to the elastic cord , it came from the waistband of a sweatshirt and provides an adjustment to lightly hold the television at the right viewing angle when not using the stabilizers on the trailer.
When in transit the television is locked securely flat against the wall with a 1/4" steel rod passed through the square tubing and locked in place by a bracket at the bottom.
BTW... the tv shown in my pics is a 13 Sharp, not even digital, $540 in 2004, it has been recently replaced by a 19" Element digital for $119.

In my sister's trailer, I installed a 19" digital 12V tv with a DVD player built in for only $135. It was mounted on a factory swing arm (like the one in Ed's photos) and held in place by a nylon strap when in transit.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nope Floyd, wasn't refering to your install at all. Just an overall comment for a better travel tie down than a bungie. Your travel strap is great.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #15

California
Ed, I like your idea of sandwiching, but I think 1/2" ply is over kill. I was planning to use t-nuts on the inside. I have a bracket for the TV similar to yours. I really like your set-up. Thanks.