Cadet pop top sky light - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 05:57 AM   #1

Name: Meg
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Cadet pop top sky light

Hi everyone!

I would like to switch out my cadet pop top for a clear skylight. It is about 3feet square. I was wondering if anyone has done it. I feel like I should be able to make a replacement top out of clear clastic or something?

Also wondering if there is an easy way to get more height by replacing the metal pieces?

Thanks for your insight!

Megan
Attached Thumbnails
34958CB7-5C2D-4368-BA20-3CFC7FD75970.jpeg  
Cadet1986-MEg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #2

Name: PCO6
Ontario
Megan;

That's an interesting idea and I don't see why you couldn't. I'm sure you could build a frame (wood properly sealed?) to match the contours of the original top and make the top of it out of Lexan, plexiglass or something similar.

As for getting additional height, I have an '86 Cadet too. It's currently a "project". I have all of the original top parts except for the mesh but I plan to secure the font leading edge of the top to the trailer with a hurricane hinge or something similar so that I can lift the rear of the top up to about 12". So rather than going straight up 4" or so only the back will lift but much higher. I'll have to make my own mesh (don't have one any way) and gas struts will help to lift it and also keep it up. This will allow in a lot more light and air. I have a tear drop trailer and the lid (much bigger!) lifts this way.

I like how you've done your front window. Do you have pics of it?

Stew
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #3

Name: Meg
Ontario
Thanks Stew. I’ll look into those materials.

The hurricane hinge is a great idea. I’d love to see pucks of your Reno if you are sharing.

Meg
Cadet1986-MEg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
I looked at doing something similar with your Trails West Campster when we were refurbing, if you look around their are a lot of commercially made acrylic skylights you could possible use.

In the end I didnt go that directly as I was worried about how to block early morning light and avoid the trailer becoming a greenhouse (California camping).
pvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #5

Name: PCO6
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet1986-MEg View Post
Thanks Stew. I’ll look into those materials.

The hurricane hinge is a great idea. I’d love to see pucks of your Reno if you are sharing.

Meg
I'm afraid mine's a slow moving project at this time as I'm finishing off 2 other trailer builds. The Jeep in this pic is also about to come apart. I'll be painting it and making it more overlanding friendly. I have lots to do and the Cadet is on the list!

PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #6

Name: Norm
Trailer: 1987 Cadet
Ontario
I raised my Cadet top. I used the same hinges, but put in longer bolts so that it goes up higher. I built my own sliding window inserts, and squared off the edges of the top and bottom so the windows would fit. Now if the rain is coming in, I can slide the windows shut.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200818_122738.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	136859Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200818_122759.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	136860
Sennema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadet, light