Call me crazy... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Name: Natasha
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Call me crazy...

And I know you will! My husband and I had plans to buy an older scamp and fix it up to our specifications. I'm fairly particular about the way my "homes" look. I like things to be my own.

Fast forward to present day, and were being gifted a brand new, from the factory, 2018 16 ft Scamp! I know right?! We're so excited!

My issue is, and call me crazy, but I think the factory interior is very blah. And I want to paint it! I see people doing it all the time.. but also, they're doing it with older models. Is it going to be an issue for me painting it? What is this "rat fur" I keep reading about? Does it cover the entire inside walls or just a portion? Help!
Aperfectsonnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
The older Scamps that are being painted, were built using ensolite (elephant hyde or vinyl) wall covering, and NOT the marine headliner (rat fur). This rat fur is warmer, quieter, made NOT to absorb odors, and it resists stains and mold. You should not try painting it. Marine headliner (rat fur) is made in various colors and textures, so perhaps Scamp would make yours with a different headliner that they do not typicaly use. You can check out West Marine for the various marine headliners made.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
YOUR CRAZY
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
YOUR CRAZY
I knew it! 😉
Old 04-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #5

Minnesota
I haven't ever seen a brand new scamp in person. Only the older ones. Where, exactly, is all this rat fur located? Is it on all of the walls?!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Even though you cannot easily change the wall covering on a fiberglass trailer, doesn't mean you cannot be artistic. The PO of our Casita trailer used upholstery hooks to attach all kinds of things to the wall fabric. You could attach decorative cloth, tapestries or emdroidered artwork to the walls with these hooks. There are also hard surfaces such as cabinets and doors. These are either made of wood or fiberglass. They can be painted.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
By time all the cabinets, windows, curtains and upholstery are in the trailer, there's so little "wall' covering to worry about. Use everything else to personalize and make the trailer uniquely your own. Bright color throw rugs, pillows, curtains, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I wouldn't think about doing it. I cannot see it working!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #9

Minnesota
Deal. But what about the cabinets? I can paint those, right?!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Just get new curtains and cushion covers, then see how you feel about it.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I think that the cabinet doors would be the perfect canvas for your creative talents. They’re pretty cheaply constructed to begin with. I would not paint the fiberglass or do anything to the rat fur. Also, hang your own curtains and stick things to the Velcro-like rat fur, if you like.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Anything is possible with enough time, enough work and enough money . The decision is up to you but for me the project fails all three of the above criteria.
Good Luck with your new Scamp !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It would indeed be a shame- bordering on a crime (you could plead insanity) - to paint the cabinets in a deluxe. On the other hand, painting the fake-woodgrain MDF cabinet doors in a standard could be considered doing the world a favor!

Seriously, if a deluxe turns out to be what you really want- and the larger dinette/bed is one very good reason, you might like the light birch option better than medium oak. If not, and painting is what makes it right for you, Scamp might leave them unfinished to give you a head start. I did see one used deluxe with the cabinets and bulkheads painted all white, and it looked good.

My bigger decor objection to the deluxe right now is the mottled brown laminate they're currently using on the countertops and table(s). I don't know if they would work with you on that or not. Bring back the old clean white!

The "rat fur" (marine-grade headliner) is what it is. At one time Scamp offered a light grey/bluish alternative. It might still be one of their off-the-menu options. Worth asking. It covers all the walls and ceiling, including behind/inside cabinets.

Get thee to the factory and see some in person! Find out what Scamp might do to accommodate your insanity...err... preferences.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Who is your benefactor, and how can some of us get friendly with him (or her)?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #15

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Scamp interior

CRAZY, you sound like you have not seen a new Scamp. Go to the website and look at the pics of interiors. Ask Scamp for a list of new owners that live near you and ask them to see their Scamp. Go to a rally. I assume you have not ordered yet, but even if you did order, do your best to see all the Scamps you can, NOW. Orders can be cancelled if you find you would prefer another FT.
Mark
Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #16

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Who is your benefactor, and how can some of us get friendly with him (or her)?
I'll never tell my secrets!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #17

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
CRAZY, you sound like you have not seen a new Scamp. Go to the website and look at the pics of interiors. Ask Scamp for a list of new owners that live near you and ask them to see their Scamp. Go to a rally. I assume you have not ordered yet, but even if you did order, do your best to see all the Scamps you can, NOW. Orders can be cancelled if you find you would prefer another FT.
Mark
As stated, I definitely have not seen a new one. Plenty of old ones, which I love. But it's the personalization that I love. I, do, infact, think the interior of the newer ones isn't that pretty. Hence my subject title, call me crazy!

I like my stuff to be one of a kind. But here's the kicker. This is a gift. It would be dumb not to accept it, when it could last us upwards of 20 years. Am I wrong?!
Old 04-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #18

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It would indeed be a shame- bordering on a crime (you could plead insanity) - to paint the cabinets in a deluxe. On the other hand, painting the fake-woodgrain MDF cabinet doors in a standard could be considered doing the world a favor!

Seriously, if a deluxe turns out to be what you really want- and the larger dinette/bed is one very good reason, you might like the light birch option better than medium oak. If not, and painting is what makes it right for you, Scamp might leave them unfinished to give you a head start. I did see one used deluxe with the cabinets and bulkheads painted all white, and it looked good.

My bigger decor objection to the deluxe right now is the mottled brown laminate they're currently using on the countertops and table(s). I don't know if they would work with you on that or not. Bring back the old clean white!

The "rat fur" (marine-grade headliner) is what it is. At one time Scamp offered a light grey/bluish alternative. It might still be one of their off-the-menu options. Worth asking. It covers all the walls and ceiling, including behind/inside cabinets.

Get thee to the factory and see some in person! Find out what Scamp might do to accommodate your insanity...err... preferences.
Looks like someone has their funny pants on! 😉. I didn't know there were "off menu" options so I'm glad you said that! Our appointment to go to the factory and make any changes is the last Saturday in April. I CAN'T WAIT!! I would love it if Scamp would accommodate my insanity! I'll (cough cough, my gifter) will pay top dollar to have something a little more unique and maybe I can save money in other ways! I've seen pictures of a deluxe with painted cabinets and it looked tight! I'm with you on the clean white laminate!
Old 04-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #19

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, there, yes, you'd be CRAZY not to accept such a gift--unless by doing so you're obligated to have some kind of unsavory (unwanted to you) sex or perform illegal acts.

As for decorating--once you've checked and selected all the possible options--or even before, look up DECOR and decorating and interiors designs on this forum, in the search engine (bottom fill-in space, not the top) and you'll find some great ideas...some of which might actually work for YOU. You'd be crazy not to!

What an amazing GIFT!

My very best to you!

Kai
(Paul, and the pug girls)

PS: this is what WE started out with--see if you don't like that rat fur better after seeing it!
Attached Thumbnails
1A 12 Rot washed with bleach, hose-rinsed, and drying in the days before lift-off.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 020.jpg  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 021.jpg   1A 9 More floor rot; water tank had cracked long ago.jpg  

Old 04-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A good part of the interior is windows and upholstery.
Custom curtains, bedding, throw pillows, etc., will do a LOT to personalize your trailer without doing anything you might regret.
Another would be painted or custom cabinet doors, (you could save the originals) even custom hardware would add a personal touch!
Of course a nice custom floor or throw rug would be nice.
Mirrors or custom lighting could help as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote