Camco Wave Catalytic Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2024, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Camco Wave Catalytic Heater

Is anyone here using a Camco Wave Catalytic Heater in your trailer?

I know catalytic heaters can be a touchy subject, so PM me if you don't want to post here.

We've been using a small portable Martin catalytic heater for the past four years with no problems of humidity buildup or CO. I understand how to vent adequately, but have a second CO detector that's never gone off with the Martin. However, that CO detector has gone off when cooking on the stove or running our Mr Buddy heater with no windows/vent cracked open.

Again I'm looking for someone who is actually using a Wave heater. Mr Buddy now makes a catalytic heater, so I'd be interested in hearing about the Buddy catalytic heater too.

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:30 AM   #2

Name: Chris
Trailer: Casita
TX
When I purchased my 2010 Casita (17') five years ago, it came with a Wave 3 mounted on a wall but no furnace. The Wave was fine for mild weather, but under 50 F OAT it was quite inadequate. Finally took my trailer to Casita factory just a few months ago and had a Suburban heater installed. Now I can be comfortable in any weather.

The Wave worked just fine, and perhaps a larger model would have been worth trying. But I camp off grid A LOT, and was tired of shivering through chilly mornings and evenings. I won't be without a furnace in the future, no matter the rig I'm using. I will say, though, that I'm finding the Wave to be a nice compliment to the Suburban furnace, providing a steady source of warmth that enables the furnace to cycle on less often.
Chris Delker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:12 PM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Of all trailers, it's weird to think of a Bigfoot w/o a proper furnace.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Of all trailers, it's weird to think of a Bigfoot w/o a proper furnace.
We're not replacing the furnace. It will be fully functional. We're just installing a Wave 3 or Wave 6 to save money on gas, have a silent heat, reduce amp use every night, and have a backup for the stock Dometic furnace. We've already had to add a Dinosaur board to the Dometic. We camp quite often in cold conditions.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 04-01-2024, 11:24 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: 13' Scamp 2003
California
Wave 3

I installed a Wave 3 in my 13’ scamp about five years ago. It works great and I have camp in the snow down to temps in the high teens. Much colder might be a problem. Condensation is an issue but not too bad. I mounted it below the door on the closet cabinet. I keep the stove vent window open and figure that the intake air is coming from the fact that the door doesn’t seal that well even with the new weather strip I installed. One worry I have is that the bedding will droop down and make contact. I have used a piece of plywood wedge between the cushions and the closet to hold the bedding in. I will make a wire cage for a permanent fix. I often just turn it off during sleep time. Heeding the safety precautions and the suggested maintenance is mandatory.

I have two C O detectors and never had any issue.
tweistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:35 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
We have a wave 3 in our 21 ft escape.

It performs very well, though we don't run it through the night.
When the temps get to about 10F it is not big enough even on high to make the whole trailer comfortable, even when using the caframo fan to circulate the air.

If it is positioned in front of the dinet area we stay toasty warm though.
Both the Wave 3 and the furnace running will warm the place very fast

As a stand alone heater I would say the Wave 6 would be a very good choice
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweistar View Post
I installed a Wave 3 in my 13’ scamp about five years ago. It works great and I have camp in the snow down to temps in the high teens. Much colder might be a problem.
I have two C O detectors and never had any issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
We have a wave 3 in our 21 ft escape.

It performs very well, though we don't run it through the night.
When the temps get to about 10F it is not big enough even on high to make the whole trailer comfortable, even when using the caframo fan to circulate the air.
On the negative side, our 25' Bigfoot has quite a bit of cubic feet to heat, but on the positive side with the >1" of closed foam insulation and true double pane windows is much, much warmer than our Escape 5.0, our 17' Casita, or our 16' Scamp.

The idea is to use the Wave as the main heater, but the furnace would kick in when the Wave couldn't keep up. On <20 F nights our amperage use can easily exceed >80 amps a night using the furnace and Terry's CPAP. Despite our 600 watts on the roof and a 100 watt portable we have run out of juice at night twice since we bought the Bigfoot 15 months ago. I don't like our F150's 400 watt inverter to charge our batteries with the Victron IP22 thirty amp charger, idling for 4-8 hours a day. Both times we killed the batteries (two 200 amp SOK LiFePO4's) we were camping in heavy shade where the panels put out around 80-120 peak watts during the day. We also liked the silence of our Martin portable catalytic heater, but it runs out of LP at 5-6 am, and is always in the way, so we desire a more permanent solution.

Since we've been using a Martin catalytic heater for the previous 4 winters with our Escape, we have two CO detectors, with the second for additional safety. We cracked the one window by the awning arm about 3/8", with the ceiling fan open around 1/2-3/4 inch, so the air comes in the window and goes out the vent. One detector has a readout for the current CO level. Only when cooking with the stovetop or using our Mr Buddy heater (that no longer comes with camping) has the one detector ever shown any excess CO in the air. It's actually gone off a couple of times when we weren't using the Martin, but failed to open any vents/windows when Terry was cooking.

The more I hear people talk about their Wave 6 the more it looks like a Wave 3 will heat like we want. On other forums the Wave 6 owners said it was too hot on nights where the temps were above 40 F and would be more so with the super insulation of our Bigfoot.

Thanks for your input!

Perry