Camp stove recommendations - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
Thanks all for the replies! So many great suggestions. I've never heard of the butane burners before. They are very affordable, but I don't like the idea of having to deal with more canisters. Just one more thing to remember (or forget) and more waste created from the empty canisters. Plus the added cost.
I agree about the cannisters. Another peeve for me is that I never really use the end of the bottle because of the fact that it will likely run out of duel while cooking whenever I used to the end. I end up wasting the bottom 25% of the canisters out of fear of cold half cooked scrambled eggs LOL. Instead I purchased an adapter hose that allows me to hook up my Coleman stove directly to a conventional propane tank. That 6 gal tank will run my camp stove and Bbq for over a year.

On the topic of the better of the brands, I prefer my friend's Camp Chef over our Coleman due to it's polished stainless cook top over the Coleman's painted top.The stainless top is totally cleanable vs the burned on stains on the painted surface of my 10 year old Colman. I am not sure if Coleman has switched over to stainless in modern times too. If they have, bravo to them.
__________________

Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,473
Registry
It takes literally seconds to switch butane canisters. A full one can be stored in the stove itself. A spare canister takes up less space in storage than an adapter hose for the large propane, and allows the the stove to be placed anywhere that is convenient without a tether.
If I had known about this stove when I ordered my Scamp, I would have likely ordered it without the onboard stove.
__________________

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: R-Vision & In the market
Massachusetts
Posts: 163
I have been following this thread and find it very interesting. I am new to RVing and a solo act so maybe I just don't get it. If I need to do something in a pot I will do it in the camper. I do the same thing when barbequing at home. When I think of outside cooking I think of BBQ. I thought I was going to see portable BBQs when this thread started.

When I BBQ at home I have been finding myself putting a cast iron griddle on the Weber all of time. So I have decided to try one of these for a portable grill.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Ta...s%2C209&sr=8-3

Now I will be all set for burgers hotdogs plus breakfast on the griddle. If you are carrying propane around with you why would you use some other fuel?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #44
Junior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Posts: 13
One important feature sometimes overlooked, is a plate around the burners, that covers the inside of the stove. I have a Coleman that has it, and another brand that doesn't. I can promise you that the other brand's base gets far hotter than the Coleman. While you always need to be careful of what's under/around a stove, the difference made by that plate is striking.
DaveMinBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Posts: 1,032
Tom, I have the Blackstone Griddle. It is very heavy. Although I took great care in seasoning it and using the griddle, it still warped. I seldom use it anymore.

"The plate around the burners comment" is very insightful and spot on.

The best stove I ever had was a 3 burner Optimus made in Germany, bought in the US in Washington DC about 1975. I got careless and messed it up, thinking I would just buy a new one. No such luck, they are no longer made. Cream green bottom, sort of a cream mustard top, burner plate perfect burners....sigh...

The Blind II has a diffuser plate under the burners by the way to both deflect the heat and to catch spills.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #46
Member
 
Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
Thanks all for the replies! So many great suggestions. I've never heard of the butane burners before. They are very affordable, but I don't like the idea of having to deal with more canisters. Just one more thing to remember (or forget) and more waste created from the empty canisters. Plus the added cost.

Since our scamp has dual LP tanks, I want something that will work with a bulk tank and an adapter. Might as well use all that fuel that we're towing around. The Camp Chef Everest looks like a good option and its only $95 on Amazon so quite affordable. I'm actually concerned that the 20k burners may be a bit much but hopefully they have decent turndown. I think that on our home range the "fast boil" burner is 20k and I find that it can be a bit much for cooking things like grilled cheese or quesadillas.

The Camp Chef Rainer with the grille seemed nice, but I don't like the aluminum grates. We will probably try to satisfy any grilling needs over the camp fire with a grate that we bring.

By the way, I love the look of that charcoal grille/smoker that was posted. When our webber kettle grille eventually rusts out I'll have to consider one.
Dont worry about the 20k burners they will adjust way down for simmering . whats the best way to attach this stove to the bulk tank?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,473
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I have been following this thread and find it very interesting. I am new to RVing and a solo act so maybe I just don't get it. If I need to do something in a pot I will do it in the camper. I do the same thing when barbequing at home. When I think of outside cooking I think of BBQ. I thought I was going to see portable BBQs when this thread started.

When I BBQ at home I have been finding myself putting a cast iron griddle on the Weber all of time. So I have decided to try one of these for a portable grill.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Ta...s%2C209&sr=8-3

Now I will be all set for burgers hotdogs plus breakfast on the griddle. If you are carrying propane around with you why would you use some other fuel?
You make a good point.
Cooking style or what you cook makes a big difference in what stove is best.
My favorite meal to cook with my portable stove is Breakfast, cooked in a single skillet outside at the table on a nice morning.
The Coleman is pretty much ideal for that purpose, but not so great for long cooking times at lower heat, such as making Chilli or pasta.


If shorepower is available, an induction cook plate such as the "NuWave" is great and gaining popularity, it cooks well at all temps and time is no factor. Also it stays cold and can be put away immediately after use and it is smooth for easy cleanup.
I have one but have not taken it on trips yet. I may just take it this year since I have more room but I hope not to completely fill the extra space provided by my new truck.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: R-Vision & In the market
Massachusetts
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Tom, I have the Blackstone Griddle. It is very heavy. Although I took great care in seasoning it and using the griddle, it still warped. I seldom use it anymore.

"The plate around the burners comment" is very insightful and spot on.

The best stove I ever had was a 3 burner Optimus made in Germany, bought in the US in Washington DC about 1975. I got careless and messed it up, thinking I would just buy a new one. No such luck, they are no longer made. Cream green bottom, sort of a cream mustard top, burner plate perfect burners....sigh...

The Blind II has a diffuser plate under the burners by the way to both deflect the heat and to catch spills.

Well I will have to see what happens. If mine warps I will be out eighty bucks. Meanwhile they are getting crazy money for anything Optimus over on eBay so I understand your dismay. Just to drive you crazy there is probably one in a yard sale somewhere for 5 bucks......Tom

PS since you have a 25RQ I appreciate all of your posts.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Posts: 1,032
Thank you so much for the eBay tip Tom. I went over and enjoyed looking at the Primus stoves for sale. A couple came close to what I had, but no cigar.

Turns out the Primus Ultima 2399 is the one that I had, or close to it. I still think it was marketed a Optimus Primus but maybe I am wrong about that.

I just saw the exact one on eBay but it sold on Nov 9, 2019. Had I known I would have bought it.

I have a Svea 123R that is cherished. It is now called an Optimus Svea.

I also have a Coleman 533 which I have used while camping in the Casita.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,475
Registry
I'm sure that they have a following of folks who like them, but IMO, they look like just any other stamped sheet metal run-of-the-mill camp stove. My Camp Chef is built like a tank. Just me...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
charlsara's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Posts: 644
Registry
Do any of you have a stove that has leveling feet. That is the only problem I have had with either the Coleman propane or the butane burner we use now. I end up sticking spoons or something under it as very few outside tables are level.
charlsara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #52
Junior Member
 
Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
One issue I have with stoves like the GSI Selkirk type of design is the restriction to a smaller size pan; with the windscreen in place two pans on the stove is very cramped.

The Ranger Blind II needs a separate wind screen, of which there are many on the market and since the screen is separate it can be moved close it or farther away as needed.
This is a good point about the windscreen being in the way. The Camp Chef stoves seem to have a good following here and are pretty affordable. But I'm torn between the Ranger Blind II and the Everest. Same price at $95 each. The Everest seems more like a classic car camping stove and a bit easier to stow. It looks a bit lighter and more compact as well. So that is the way that I'm leaning right now. I may put this off a couple weeks for a birthday gift so I have time to consider it more.

This is a great forum. I'm impressed to have so many helpful comments and suggestions in only one day. Thank you.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,163
Registry
These will level the stove, and can also help adjust the simmer on a Coleman Gladiator!

Or, you could just buy a stove that does a better job of simmering.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Shims.jpg  
__________________
~ "Discussions should be conducted without fondness for dispute or desire for victory." - Benjamin Franklin ~
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Do any of you have a stove that has leveling feet.

Crumple balls of aluminum foil. Use as much as is necessary.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,937
Registry
At Quartzsite, I just reach down and pick out the right sized rock!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #56
Member
 
Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
This is a good point about the windscreen being in the way. The Camp Chef stoves seem to have a good following here and are pretty affordable. But I'm torn between the Ranger Blind II and the Everest. Same price at $95 each. The Everest seems more like a classic car camping stove and a bit easier to stow. It looks a bit lighter and more compact as well. So that is the way that I'm leaning right now. I may put this off a couple weeks for a birthday gift so I have time to consider it more.

This is a great forum. I'm impressed to have so many helpful comments and suggestions in only one day. Thank you.

The Everest is a high pressure stove runs at 10 PSI
the Ranger Blind II is a low pressure and could be hooked up to the RV lines after the regulator.


I have the Everest. Its great stove even in high wind But i would like to get something That could hook to the low pressure rv quick connect. I wonder how the ranger II would be in the wind?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,163
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The Everest is a high pressure stove runs at 10 PSI
the Ranger Blind II is a low pressure and could be hooked up to the RV lines after the regulator.


I have the Everest. Its great stove even in high wind But i would like to get something That could hook to the low pressure rv quick connect. I wonder how the ranger II would be in the wind?
I don't understand the mentions of high pressure propane sources in this thread. From the Camp Chef website writeup on the Everest:
"FEATURES
Includes regulator adaptor for a 1 lb. propane cylinder (can be adapted for use with standard bulk tanks"
Consistent with my experience, they are saying my 11 and 20 lb propane cylinders can connect directly to their stove's regulator with an adaptor hose.

Does the trailer regulator (two-stage resulting in some 11 inches of regulated water column pressure) provide too little pressure?
__________________
~ "Discussions should be conducted without fondness for dispute or desire for victory." - Benjamin Franklin ~
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #58
Member
 
Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I don't understand the mentions of high pressure propane sources in this thread. From the Camp Chef website writeup on the Everest:
"FEATURES
Includes regulator adaptor for a 1 lb. propane cylinder (can be adapted for use with standard bulk tanks"
Consistent with my experience, they are saying my 11 and 20 lb propane cylinders can connect directly to their stove's regulator with an adaptor hose.

Does the trailer regulator (two-stage resulting in some 11 inches of regulated water column pressure) provide too little pressure?

Yes they sell a adapter hose with a regulator on one end and other hooks to stove, They sell 2 different hose and regulates. All there mountain series stoves run at 10 PsI . So if you want to hook one of these up you need there regulator ans a bulk tank. The ranger II is low presure running at about .5Psi the same as a rv system. So it can be hooked with a quick connect coupler installed in to Rv propane lines. This way you don't have to carry extra tank. some people prefer carrying a extra tank. I would prefer not to.


so yes the rv system after regualer provides to little of pressure for the everest stove but not the ranger


so this hookup could be used with the ranger

https://www.campchef.com/rv-connection-hose.html




and this one for everest Notice reg at bulk tank

https://www.campchef.com/mountain-se...regulator.html
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #59
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,342
Never liked propane camp stoves, too hot very compact means burner is too close to the pot but... I did find a really nice one burner butane/propane stove to supplement my Coleman white gas two burner.

I think some of it depends on how much room/gear you are willing to devote to cooking, how involved your cooking is. I mostly heat stuff up and make coffee. Real cooking is done on a fire. But I live in a state that seldom has fire restrictions on campfires or charcoal cooking.

Recently bought a tailgate sized table top propane grill for a trip out west where fire restrictions are common. I like it but am sort of starting to feel like fuel and equipment is crowding things a bit on longer trips. Having added an electric skillet and single burner electric hot plate in recent years. Still is nice to have options.

Coleman gets my vote if it is sufficient for ones needs. Parts availability is a plus. I can still get parts of my 1987 stove. You can buy better quality at higher price if one thinks usage and what one needs the stove to do will warrant the weight/space/cost.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 8,641
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I don't understand the mentions of high pressure propane sources in this thread. From the Camp Chef website writeup on the Everest:
"FEATURES
Includes regulator adaptor for a 1 lb. propane cylinder (can be adapted for use with standard bulk tanks"
Consistent with my experience, they are saying my 11 and 20 lb propane cylinders can connect directly to their stove's regulator with an adaptor hose.

Does the trailer regulator (two-stage resulting in some 11 inches of regulated water column pressure) provide too little pressure?
I believe the stoves that run on the 1# cylinders require 14" WC to operate correctly, so yes, if you connect one downstream of the trailer regulator it will produce an unacceptably weak flame.

I believe the devices referenced by others are a splitter right at the tank. One side goes to the high pressure (14" WC) appliances and the other goes to the trailer regulator and then to the low pressure (11" WC) appliances. The two different systems have different fittings to make them user-friendly for consumer use.

The "regulator adaptor" in the product description is the in-line regulator for the high pressure device, not an adaptor to connect to the trailer regulator.

My Camp Chef is the low pressure Explorer in your link. I assumed in an earlier post that that's all they make, but I now see they also make portable units designed for the 1# cylinders.

Hope I didn't misunderstand your question...
__________________

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eco


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trip to Nashville in April - recommendations on places to camp AndyF Camping, Campout Reports 13 12-19-2019 04:19 PM
seeking recommendations to camp half way between Philadelphia, PA and Nashville, TN rockey Camping, Campout Reports 5 05-28-2018 11:30 AM
Stove recommendations? TetonTele General Chat 2 03-15-2015 02:18 PM
Camp Chef Portable Camp Oven ShawnKK General Chat 13 06-29-2013 04:25 PM
Scamp camp-Camp Nauvoo, Nauvoo, IL. Pat G Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 13 05-23-2007 08:46 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×