Camp stove recommendations - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #101

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread but lights drive me nuts. I use a cheap headlamp because it turns on an off. It does not strobe, it does not have a super bright setting or ten other light levels, it does not have a red light...I just want a flashlight and headlamp that with one click it goes on. And one click it goes off...
Yeah, I hate the sequential click through modes where you have to turn something off and on repeatedly to get something.

my current favorite headlight for walking around and doing stuff at night is the diminutive Black Diamond Iota. This is a tiny rechargeable light that has a soft very wide field white light. normally its just off/on when you click it, but if you turn it on, then hold the button in, it gradually dims and gets brighter again, when you let go it stays that bright. uses a USB micro charging cable, but lasts for months of casual use on a single charge.

its NOT, however, quite bright enough to use as a bicycle lamp in the dark, for that I need something with a brighter beam so I can see the road 30 or 50 feet in front of me.

strobe modes are good for bicycle riding when you're wanting to be seen by traffic but otherwise generally pretty annoying.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #102

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread but lights drive me nuts. I use a cheap headlamp ....
I remember waking up in my camper from a dream that I was parked on the taxi way at a busy airport. The first thing I saw seemed to confirm that my dream was in fact not a dream at all. Turns out it was some kids going to the outhouse with headlights scanning 360 degrees in three dimensions.

What does this have to do with camp stoves? Nothing.. Sorry.

But I will add that I bought not one, but two stoves based on recommendations posted on this forum. I was not happy with either. Maybe they were good for the people who posted that they liked them but they were not suited to the cooking I was doing. YMMV.. Good luck.

gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #103

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Check out Craigslist and find a used Coleman propane stove then smile on the $ you saved. Then take that money and buy a Bemco Backpackers Oven to go with it and you will be setup. The coleman we are using now was found by the garbage bin while we were out walking. and I have some coleman white gas that go back to 1960 with the old gold tanks and I have never paid more than $15 for one at garage sales. About the only thing that goes wrong with them is they need the pump oiled!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0788 (Medium).JPG   IMG_0791 (Medium).JPG  

Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #104

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Thanks for the BEMCO oven recommendatioon

Dudley, thanks for that comment on the BEMCO oven. Had seen that one years ago while on the App Trail (folks were baking morning biscuits, swapped a bit of bacon for two...yum!). Always liked the ability to bake (I fish), but could not remember the name of it. VERY lightweight! I have a little dual burner propane stove I pack in my "travel" emergency case (Water, food, stove, flares and emerg. medical kit. I drive a lot, but now the Scamp comes with me). Won't work with the oven, but my old Coleman white gas single burner will. The two burner does great with a griddle on top, breakfast pancakes, bacon, and will cook a steak for dinner. Have one of the ovens on order now...$55 or so new.

Baked Trout to me is a treat. I have land on the New River, so trout are just a line toss away.

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #105

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
When you get your oven, there are a couple of mods that work well. There are 2 aluminum studs that hold the front on, I threaded them for 6-32 nuts to hold the front better. I just screwed the nuts on and they cut the threads just fine. The other mod I did was to file notches on the bottom to match the grill rods. I also added a small wooden tab to the latch. They come with 2 cooking trays and found a couple of extra 7" pizza trays at a restaurant supply store for $2 each. It does take a bit of fiddling to get the temp right but its not bad. We have had ours for about 4 years and its always in the casita and we love having fresh biscuits, cinnamon buns, pizza and of course fresh baked cookies (Pilsbury Ready to make chocolate chip are the fav) BTW we use some parchment paper when cooking and reuse it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG174.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #106

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have not seen a Bemco used, but a friend uses the Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven a lot. The Coleman Camp Oven Silver 2000016462 was used by the a number of Scoutmasters when my boys and I were in the Scouts, all worked well. I have a Volcano II in which I have done some baking.

Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco