Camp stove recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Camp stove recommendations

I'm thinking about a last minute gift for my wife. We are new to Scamping and when we tent camp we always have gone in groups and someone else has brought the stove. So I think we need a new propane camp stove to use outside. I suspect we'll do all of our cooking outside when the weather is nice. I'm thinking a basic 2 burner setup but open to suggestions.

There appear to be tons of options available. The only one I'm familiar with is a basic green Colman unit that we've used that is difficult to light and has very little burner modulation. It basically on "high" or "super high" all the time. When you try to turn it down a little bit it goes out.

Its very difficult to see the difference between 2 units online. For example, LL Bean has a "Camp Chef Everest" and "Camp Chef Teton" and they look very similar but one costs twice as much as the other!

I don't mind spending a lot of money on something high quality that will last. I'd rather buy once cry once, but also don't need to go crazy with features. I just want something high quality that works well and will last a long time. Any tips on models that can stow easily in a Scamp 16 would also help, or do most people carry them in their TV?

So what stoves do people like?
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I love my Coleman and have had it 30+ years. It was one of the first with piezoelectric ignition, which I find very convenient. The ignitor recently stopped working on one burner, but has otherwise worked flawlessly for three decades.

I do agree that low simmer is hard on a Coleman, but our style of camp cooking does not require much long simmering on low.

I like that I can use the 1# cylinders for portable convenience, or connect to a bulk tank for economy when we’re camping in one spot for a while.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Camp Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I love my Coleman and have had it 30+ years. It has electronic ignition, which I find very convenient. The electronic ignition recently stopped working on one burner, but worked flawlessly for most of the 30 years.

I do agree that low simmer is hard on a Coleman, but our style of camp cooking does not require much long simmering on low.

I like that I can use the 1# cylinders for portable convenience, or connect to a bulk tank for economy when we’re camping in one spot for a while.
Yes, Coleman all the way, easy to use and lots of parts available. Been using our's for years with little problems.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
I highly recommend this stove from Stansport. https://www.stansport.com/outfitter-...ve-blue-212-50
I researched for a stove that could provide low simmering heat. It works well.
nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I'll take a Camp Chef stove over any Coleman ever made. I have a single, double, and I had a triple burner one also, but my youngest son now has that one as it is now too big for just the two of us. I have one of these (below) that I mainly use, and I also have the optional Barbeque Box and Flat top Griddle. Best stove out there for the money IMO.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7038_200317038
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I love my Coleman and have had it 30+ years. It has electronic ignition, which I find very convenient. The electronic ignition recently stopped working on one burner, but worked flawlessly for most of the 30 years.

I bought my Coleman Propane Stove in 1977 for tent camping and I am using it when camping in my Scamp. I don't know much about the new ones but my old one has lasted a long time.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
BTUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post

Its very difficult to see the difference between 2 units online. For example, LL Bean has a "Camp Chef Everest" and "Camp Chef Teton" and they look very similar but one costs twice as much as the other!
Camp Chef Teton stove is powered by two 10,000 BTU burners while the Everest stove can crank out 20,000 BTUs from each of its burners.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #8

New Hampshire
Lots of love for the Coleman and it is certainly the standard bearer. Auto ignition would certainly improve it, but I think I'll be looking for something else. Also, my guess is that the Coleman stove of today is probably lesser quality than what was sold in 1977.

That Camp Chef stove that Casita Greg listed looks great and seems like a nice option, but I'm worried that its too big and heavy to cart around and will take up too much room. I think that I'll probably stick with the suitcase style units. The Champ Chefs seem to score well in a couple review roundups that I just read though.

This Jetboil unit is cool and compact and it would be easy to store. But its very expensive and it doesn't appear to have any wind protection.

https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
We us a Camp Chef Summit, a two burner stove. It works great.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
For what it is worth, I now carry a Weber Q 1000 grill & an inexpensive single burner butane stove. Previously, I carried a Coleman Stove/Grill, and while it worked, the grill was no where near as nice as the Weber.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
While I am sure there are better stoves out there, I have found the Coleman propane stove to perform admirably for years. It is small and compact and very easy to set up.

The propane cartridges can get expensive and are, I hear, not supposed to be put into the waste stream. So, I recommend a 1 gallon propane tank; mine is small and has two hoses so I can also run a weber propane barbecue off of it as well. The combination has worked great for me for years. Sometimes, though, propane suppliers are not all that happy to refill the small tank.

This is equal to 8 of the green propane cannisters and costs about $3 each time it is refilled.

https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2...764&sr=8-3This
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #12

Registry
What do I use for cooking outside? At times I will carry my Coleman Fold-N-Go two burner propane stove. Most of the time I carry my MRS Dragon fly single burner white gas stove. Since most of my early days of camping wer out of a backpack The MSR is quite adequate.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I use a bulk 10 lb tank and a Camp Chef Ranger II Blind Stove. Before you buy anything check it out. It simmers very nicely. It is built like a tank.

Also check out the Cobb charcoal grill, I may get it one of these days. Not soon unfortunately, wife thinks I buy too many camp stoves...

I have had many stoves: Stansport propane (terrible quality), Coleman gasoline (like it), Blackstone Griddle (so so, warped very quickly), Volcano III (marginal but OK), Weber Go Anywhere propane (does not get hot enough especially in the cold and at altitude), Weber 1200 Q (like it, but large and bulky), CADAC (like it but did not last long), and Lodge cast iron charcoal. Think I have forgotten something...

Thinking about getting a PK portable charcoal grill for on the road. Currently use a Weber Go anywhere charcoal. Have a PK 99740 charcoal non portable at home and REALLY like it.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #14

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Camp Chef Teton stove is powered by two 10,000 BTU burners while the Everest stove can crank out 20,000 BTUs from each of its burners.
And the Camp Chef Explorer, like the one I have referenced above, has two 30,000 BTU (each) burners. Not always a need but when you really want the heat, you really got it with this one.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Just remember there are two broad categories of propane camp stoves. One type is designed to run on higher pressure from the 1# cylinders or from a bulk tank using a specialized hose with built-in regulation. The Coleman fits this category, which tends to be lighter and more compact.

The other type runs on lower pressure through a traditional regulator from a bulk tank only. The Camp Chef units are this type. Thanks to lower pressure and larger burners, they have a greater range of adjustability, but they tend to be bulkier.

I have both. We use the Camp Chef when group camping with lots of people sharing the kitchen. We use the Coleman for family trips.

Backpacking stoves are another category. In my opinion white gas makes a lot more sense than propane in that application. It can stand cold temperatures and high altitudes and packs a lot more BTU's in a small space. Have one of those too, but haven't used it for years.

First decision is which type suits your needs. Next decision is budget.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #16

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thinking about getting a PK portable charcoal grill for on the road. Currently use a Weber Go anywhere charcoal. Have a PK 99740 charcoal non portable at home and REALLY like it.

I have a PK that I use at home, along side my 4 Burner Weber Genesis propane grill. The PK is a really nice grill, (made for use with charcoal, and is not propane compatible,) but sometimes you just can't beat that char broiled steak or those burgers or chicken cooked over charcoal, rather than propane. A charcoal fire will always win that battle for flavor. That said, it's made from cast aluminum, and it's a very thick casting. Being aluminum, it will never rust or corrode, and is truly one of those few things that seem to be made anymore that can actually be handed down to your children and grandchildren. Kind of a future heirloom.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #17

New Hampshire
Quote:
Just remember there are two broad categories of propane stoves. One type is designed to run on higher pressure from the 1# cylinders or from a bulk tank using a specialized hose with built-in regulation. The Coleman fits this category, which tends to be lighter and more compact.

The other type runs on lower pressure through a traditional regulator from a bulk tank only. The Camp Chef units are this type. Thanks to lower pressure and larger burners, they have a greater range of adjustability, but they tend to be bulkier.

This is great information. Thank you. I didn't realize that there were pressure differences. My Scamp has dual 20lb tanks so my plan would be to use the bulk tank with a hose and regulator. I have a brand new hose that came with the scamp, but I'll have to take a closer look at the regulator to see the pressure. But it would be nice to have the option to use the 1 lb cylinders as well I guess.

At this moment, the Camp Chef Everest looks like a strong contender. Its $140 at LL Bean, but should be $112 with the 20% off deal they have going. Lots of time till camping season so more time to change my mind.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
But it would be nice to have the option to use the 1 lb cylinders as well I guess.
Our Coleman has a carry case with room for 2 cylinders (case is thirty years old, too!). When we’re just going out for the day, it’s very convenient to toss the case in the car without having to carry a bulk tank.

I also like the cylinders for emergency lighting at home with our Coleman propane lantern when the power goes out.

I know they’re an environmental disaster, and we use bulk tanks most of the time, but I sure like having the option.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #19

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I've gone through a lot of stoves in my 55+ years of camping. The Camp Chef brand is a clear winner. They are work horses! Purchase a "Y" splitter and a 10-15' hose so you can run it directly off your Scamp propane tank.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was looking for a high output stove that didn't require half an hour to boil two cups of water when it's windy.
I went with the Stansport Outfitter, it's got two 25K BTU burners. This thing puts out a LOT of heat. Rather flimsy construction but never had any issue so far after 2 seasons of use, easy to clean, piezo lightning. I LOVE it!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco