Camp stove recommendations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
I was looking for a high output stove that didn't require half an hour to boil two cups of water when it'w windy.

This butane burner is much faster than propane. It's used in restaurant industry. Expensive compared to the $26 burners, but worth it, in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Iwatani info.jpg  
Old 12-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #22

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
How long have you been married?
Man if I gave my wife a camp stove as a Chrismas gift she would be hitching up the trillium and leaving!......without me.
Ha
2008 Casita f/d-----1988 Bigfoot 5er---1987 Boler
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #23

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
It is hard to beat those cheap butane stoves. Our Coleman stays at home now. To bulky and hard to clean.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Problem with the butane burners is lack of wind protection. Absolutely essential for outdoor use, in my experience. Guess you could build something, but then it's another piece you have to pack and set up.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #25

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
I ended up going with the Camp chef everrest. I like the fact that each burner is 20,000 BTU

https://www.campchef.com/two-burner-stove-everest.html

NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Problem with the butane burners is lack of wind protection.

Mine has built in wind screen. Burner is sunk down with perforated surround. Seems to work well. I have a cheap butane burner as well. Live in fear of it blowing up, like another I had. Do follow instructions for the size of pan you can use.
Attached Thumbnails
Iwatani clos.png  
Old 12-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
As you've seen from the replies, lots of things to consider here. Partner Stoves seem to be the gold standard for propane stoves in the overlanding community https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner I've yet to run across anyone who has worn one of these out but they're definitely spendy.

A few suggestions - Wind wings and/or lid protection on three sides. No protruding knobs or hoses when packed for travel. Burners far enough apart to handle the two largest pots/pans/??? you'll be cooking with at the same time. High enough BTU to boil quickly while adjustable enough to simmer lightly. Easy to clean up after use. Readily available fuel type.

We use an early sixties vintage Coleman two burner (413F) bought at a yard sale when I was in college (67) and a more recent (90's???) 533 Coleman single burner. Both are liquid fuel which I'm comfortable with.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6573.jpg  
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
This is great information. Thank you. I didn't realize that there were pressure differences. My Scamp has dual 20lb tanks so my plan would be to use the bulk tank with a hose and regulator. I have a brand new hose that came with the scamp, but I'll have to take a closer look at the regulator to see the pressure. But it would be nice to have the option to use the 1 lb cylinders as well I guess.

At this moment, the Camp Chef Everest looks like a strong contender. Its $140 at LL Bean, but should be $112 with the 20% off deal they have going. Lots of time till camping season so more time to change my mind.
We have an adaptor hose that connects our 11 and 20 lb tanks to LP appliances; stove, lantern, fireplace. The hose connects to the appliance with a thread matching the 1-lb bottles, so the device's regulator is always part of the equation.

We bought a Coleman Gladiator five years ago. It's a bit heavier and bulkier than some of the cheaper stoves, and will handle a bit larger pan. However, I have to use wood shims behind the control knobs in order to get it to maintain a simmer. Otherwise the knob creeps open and quickly increases the heat. I even disassembled the controls and lubricated the O-rings in an effort to cure this, all to no avail. In the end, I don't care for the stove as I really like to be able to simmer on a low heat.

I like the reviews on this site. They are generally well-written and organized. And they never reviewed the Suzuki Samurai.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...-camping-stove

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #29

You can always make a simmer plate out of one of those "camp" toasters that don't work worth a damn. Just remove the wires.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #30

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I think you need to consult with the cook(s) and figure out what it is you want to use it for. There is more than one variety of portable outdoor cooking unit. The majority of the newer camp stoves use piezio electric starters to light the burners. Those electric starters will get worn out after a great many uses but the good companies sell replacement parts for this item. You could even buy a replacement piezio starter part when you purchase the stove and then store it away for a possible future repair part. That is the one part that is most likely to eventually need replacing.

For a single burner stove I have tried several. The hands down winner for quality and safety are the Dual Fuel cooktops by Gas One. For my daily use as a solo traveler I have the mini sized version. For a family you would want the larger size as you can put larger pots on top of it. You can use it with the cans of butane or you can use the included hose and hook it up to green bottle propane cylinders. With an additional adapter you can hook it up to a bulk tank. For portability such as taking it over to a picnic table the green cylinders are terrific. For use inside on the dinette table or countertop I like the butane cylinder as it is compact with the fuel inside of the stove housing. A downside to them is they don't have tall built in sides to block strong winds so you might want to purchase or make an optional surround or use out of doors. This is a link to the larger Gas One portable dual fuel stove. https://gasone.com/collections/just-...ducts/gs-4000p

If I wanted to do grilling as well as having a pot on the stove then I would get a combo unit that has a grill burner as well as a small burner for a pot. I would also want to be sure to have a griddle accessory that fits over the grilling side. That is very useful for cooking pancakes, bacon and eggs for a hearty breakfast (or dinner) or for making grilled cheese sandwiches and such. This one is made by campchef, it is on my own personal list for a potential future purchase but for now I have a charcoal grill with a griddle and a propane/butane cooktop. So no hurry to buy it. https://www.campchef.com/rainier-campers-combo.html
A similar unit is made by Coleman. I have not tried either and there are mixed reviews for both of these.

For a super good 2 burner camp stove that can do nicely controlled slow simmer as well as a high output BTU dual burner cook stove the new GSI Selkirk is a great option. Not too bulky for storing, it is a much thinner profile that older camp stoves of years past. GSI has been in the camping gear business for some time and has a nice variety of products with good features. REI is one of the distributors of their products, it is price though. https://gsioutdoors.com/selkirk-540-camp-stove.html

Of course one high priority for me is that the stove is easy to clean up after use. A second priority is a good support surface for the pots. A badly designed unit has neither of those features but it is a kindness to the person who does the cleanup in a campsite to pay a little extra to have an easy to clean stove. I don't like washing up chores so for me it is a deal breaker if the stove is difficult to clean, low cost is not a bargain price if I have to spend extra time on that chore.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Love my Coleman butane stove, bought at WalMart for twenty bucks.
I did have to buy a case of fuel off the internet though, 'cause WalMart did not seem to reliably stock the fuel.
This thing is hotter than propane which is hotter them natural gas, so it heats up fast and I get several meals from a single can of fuel...
I bought a case of fuel which was not Coleman Brand but which was identical except for the label.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You can always make a simmer plate out of one of those "camp" toasters that don't work worth a damn. Just remove the wires.
We've done that and it did help somewhat.

However, then you are just burning extra fuel to heat the great outdoors.

Hmmm, sounds like something my Dad would say when we held the door to the house open for just a bit too long...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #33

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
My experience with butane stoves of any kind is they burn too much fuel and do not work well in the cold or at high altitudes.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
My experience with butane stoves of any kind is they burn too much fuel and do not work well in the cold or at high altitudes.

How is that different than propane?
Old 12-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #35

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
This article from MSR research, a camping gear supply company explains the differences in fuels that are used for camping stoves. Of course some of the fuels they are talking about are more typical for use in stoves meant for backpackers who go up into the mountains or out on ski adventures in cold climate conditions. The canister they are using are different than the ones for the typical camping stoves used such as the green bottles or butane cannisters for common single burner stoves that get used for camping and by restaurants. But the discussion regarding the fuel types and their performance under various extremes of conditions is relative information.

Bob and Jackie are correct about their opinion regarding using butane stoves for cold and high altitudes. But of course gas stoves do go through small canisters of fuel much too soon be it propane or butane

https://www.msrgear.com/blog/ins-outs-canister-fuels/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Coleman for sure!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Since I usually like to grill some sort of meat and also heat up a side dish at the same time, the Coleman combo grill/stove works well for me.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #38

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1RO9WG...-X92-LO-T1R3AT
Here is an add that just popped up from Amazon about a propane/butane camp stove. I don't know anything about it but somebody might be interested.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #39

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Thanks all for the replies! So many great suggestions. I've never heard of the butane burners before. They are very affordable, but I don't like the idea of having to deal with more canisters. Just one more thing to remember (or forget) and more waste created from the empty canisters. Plus the added cost.

Since our scamp has dual LP tanks, I want something that will work with a bulk tank and an adapter. Might as well use all that fuel that we're towing around. The Camp Chef Everest looks like a good option and its only $95 on Amazon so quite affordable. I'm actually concerned that the 20k burners may be a bit much but hopefully they have decent turndown. I think that on our home range the "fast boil" burner is 20k and I find that it can be a bit much for cooking things like grilled cheese or quesadillas.

The Camp Chef Rainer with the grille seemed nice, but I don't like the aluminum grates. We will probably try to satisfy any grilling needs over the camp fire with a grate that we bring.

By the way, I love the look of that charcoal grille/smoker that was posted. When our webber kettle grille eventually rusts out I'll have to consider one.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #40

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I checked out the Partnersteel stoves; The website does not detail the BTU output of the stoves. I then went on Amazon and found this: Camp Chef Mountaineer Aluminum 2 Burner Camp Stove. This looks like a copycat of the Partnersteel. However, one issue is the special type of hose fitting needed, which Amy also be the issue with the Partnersteel.

One issue I have with stoves like the GSI Selkirk type of design is the restriction to a smaller size pan; with the windscreen in place two pans on the stove is very cramped.

The Ranger Blind II needs a separate wind screen, of which there are many on the market and since the screen is separate it can be moved close it or farther away as needed.

I do like my Coleman Dual Gas stove for cooking at altitudes above 9K feet however.

I won't use the canister butane and small propane bottles because I want to minimize waste.

This coming season I will take the Ranger Blind II, The Coleman gas, and the Weber Go Anywhere charcoal grill.

Also, for when I am hooked up to electricity in a campground I take a 3Q Instant Pot and a small electric griddle. Although I may purchase one of those single burner induction table top to replace the electric griddle. I use Carbon Steel and Cast Iron pans.

It occurs to me I take way too many cooking related implements. Maybe I need to rethink this whole mess. But then I do like to cook...but the real reason is I use cooking as an excuse to limit the distance my wife takes me on hikes to less than 10 mile or so.

Update: The Partnersteel stoves seem to be 10k btu each burner, with good simmer control. The only place to buy are specialty stores.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco