Camp stove recommendations - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2019, 09:29 PM   #81

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Conversion

And another thing depending upon how deep your love affair with those great old Coleman white gas stoves goes. The white gas today is ridiculously expensive and the old stoves can’t burn just unleaded gas. About 25 years ago when I was in scouting we purchased from Campmor, converter feed tubes for the three burner Colemans we had and began to feed them off of the 20lb propane tanks with a ten foot hose and a fitting that would screw to the adapter.
Worked well. I checked tonight and couldn’t find any on the Campmor site but found some made by Mr Heater that looked ok. They were like $23 but in time would pay for themselves and would allow you to date your old cooking friend again. Just a thought.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #82

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Though I don’t haul them camping because of the size and weight I have a couple Rocky Mountain Range stoves which were originally built in the USA. I think Salt Lake City. The later ones were built in the Far East and were not so good. Point is that if you ever get a chance to buy one and it’s the old style from about 20 years ago they were very good. The gas valve was as good or better than about any stove I’ve ever cooked on in a house. Very smooth and meters down so low it’s hard to see the flame if it’s not dark. The old green Coleman’s with white gas served me for many years. ............removed regulator from the Campfire in a can hose and replacing it with the male quick connect fitting. A nice fire that goes for 2-3 hours uses 1/4 of a small 11lb tank.
Iowa Dave
Great recommendation on the Rocky Mountain Range stoves Dave. We have two as well - a Cimmaron (one of the early models and rock solid) and a Sea of Cortez purchased when they were closing everything out. The newer version has also been good after I replaced all the poorly done pop rivets. Both simmer well and turn out a great pork loin with their barbecue accessory. Agree about the weight.

As noted earlier, we've gone back to my old Coleman liquid fuel stoves and lanterns. They work and they bring back a lot of old memories, sounds and smells. The Crown fuel brand is usually much cheaper than the Coleman and works just as well.

We also have a Campfire in a Can and love it. With all this common gear, you think we might be related somewhere along the line?

On the leveling shim solution, we use the house siding samples often available in the big box stores. I stacked several of these up, drilled a hole through them at one end with a bolt and wing nut to keep them together and store them in the stove. When leveling is needed, just remove the wing nut and use ever how many may be necessary to even things out. They're plastic so no problems with moisture or grease.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6843.jpg  
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #83

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Al thanks for the house siding samples tip, yet another idea that never occurred to me. Between the these and the previous wooden shim things, I think I can improve my stove leveling technique.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #84

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Shims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Al thanks for the house siding samples tip, yet another idea that never occurred to me. Between the these and the previous wooden shim things, I think I can improve my stove leveling technique.
You can also use Formica samples available at Big box stores. They are a pretty durable shim and can be drilled.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape
Camp Chef Ranger ll

Works nicely, has a good simmer setting and connects to my quick connect on my trailer. Two things my Coleman could’nt do. Works good in the wind too. Bought a plastic container it fits in perfect.
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #86

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
Works nicely, has a good simmer setting and connects to my quick connect on my trailer. Two things my Coleman could’nt do. Works good in the wind too. Bought a plastic container it fits in perfect.
Grant, I also have the Camp Chef Ranger II Blind stove. I have a plastic container but it does not fit all that well. Would you please post the specific container you have and perhaps from where you bought it?
Old 12-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #87

Name: Robert
Trailer: researching
Alabama
Does anyone use an portable induction cooktop?
Tideline77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #88

Tennessee
Just got one today as a xmas present. I intend on using it camping when we stay at a campsite with electricity. In the meantime I will use it at home to get comfortable with it.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #89

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Not propane, but...

My Svea 123 that I purchased back in the 70's still works great when I want to cook outside of the trailer. Takes about the same storage space as a can of beans. Burns Coleman fuel and a single filling will last me a week of daily use. They have gone up in price, but after over 40 years the darn thing still works like new.
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #90

Tennessee
Jim, I have had my Svea 123R for a bit also and it continues to work well. I also like the sound it makes. I also have a Coleman Feather 442 gas stove, but I find I use the Coleman 533 dual fuel stove more than any of them, and take it when we are on the RV trail.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #91

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ivy View Post
My Svea 123 that I purchased back in the 70's still works great when I want to cook outside of the trailer. Takes about the same storage space as a can of beans. Burns Coleman fuel and a single filling will last me a week of daily use. They have gone up in price, but after over 40 years the darn thing still works like new.
I was cleaning out the barn a few months ago and I found my coleman single burner stove that fits inside two square pans with a detachable handle. This is a photo from the internet. Mine is green and I must say it is perfect. I think I only used it once.
Attached Thumbnails
thQE27IVZP.jpg  
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #92

Tennessee
Tom, first time I have seen that Coleman in red. Nice.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #93

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I used a Svea 123R in the early 70s.... Dug it out a few years ago, the MSR whitegas stove I'd been using put out like 2-3X more BTUs of heat.

nowdays, we do most of our camp cooking in the trailer's oven, and I use a jetboil sumo to boil water for coffee.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #94

Trailer: Boler
Partner Steel stove is what I use - its built like a tank and has great simmer control. I use a 6 pound propane tank which can be refilled at any propane outlet for under $3.00.

The Partner Steel stove is the stove to have in the overlanding crowd. They were developed for white water rafting expeditions and are pretty much indestructible. They have a variety of sizes - they aren't cheap but they will be the last stove you ever have to buy.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #95

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Camp Chef gets my vote.
We have all the brands mentioned above but now only use the Camp Chef Everest. Got ours at REI.
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #96

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
These will level the stove, and can also help adjust the simmer on a Coleman Gladiator!

Or, you could just buy a stove that does a better job of simmering.
I bring a collection of rubber doorstop wedges from the dollar store. They usually have several in a package, and usually two sizes. I always need to level a camp table or two, and these are perfect for that. Yes, I also bring a little level
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #97

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Hello, I figured I should update this with what I bought....
It was a tough decision but I ended up going with the Campfire Everest. That brand and that model seemed to be well regarded on this forum and had good reviews elsewhere. I liked that it folded together and was "self contained". I was tempted by the more substantial looking Ranger II, but didn't want to deal with a separate storage container and it looked a bit heavier and bulkier.

I wanted to get the Partner steel stove, but just couldn't justify the higher cost even though I like that it is built in the USA to last a lifetime. If we end up using this stove a lot that could be the eventual upgrade.

I loved the look of the Pro60 and the Explorer with legs attached but they just seemed to big and they were quite heavy. They looked nice to cook on but like overkill.

Camp chef should work on their website. It is difficult to navigate because its confusing how they catagorize the various stoves. They also have too many products. I can't tell what is different about the Camp Chef Summit vs. the Everest. And now they appear have an "Everest 2x". They all look very similar.

Hopefully the Everest will have good turndown on the burners like the reviews said.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #98

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Campchef Everest and Buffalo Plaid for the win!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Campchef Everest Stove.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	132839

Outdoor gear lab seems to really like them, I expect it will serve you well.

Sometimes I wish I only had a choice between three brands, like Penneys, Sears and Montgomery Wards. Maybe none of the choices would be truly excellent, but I could make a decision and move on with my life.

Nowadays with all the brands and models and reviews available on the Internet, there's a constant risk of feeling that you aren't making the absolutely best choice, which can in turn feel depressing.

We recently bought one of the least expensive headlamps. We didn't want something suited to trail-finding. In fact, we primarily just wanted to be good neighbors in the public campgrounds so picked the Petzl Tikkina, an inexpensive unit with rather low lumens.

Sometimes it's hard not to go all-in for the most highly-rated thing out there. In this case, it would not have suited our needs, and would likely have served as a source of annoyance to others.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #99

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Campchef Everest and Buffalo Plaid for the win!

Attachment 132839

Outdoor gear lab seems to really like them, I expect it will serve you well.

Sometimes I wish I only had a choice between three brands, like Penneys, Sears and Montgomery Wards. Maybe none of the choices would be truly excellent, but I could make a decision and move on with my life.

Nowadays with all the brands and models and reviews available on the Internet, there's a constant risk of feeling that you aren't making the absolutely best choice, which can in turn feel depressing.

We recently bought one of the least expensive headlamps. We didn't want something suited to trail-finding. In fact, we primarily just wanted to be good neighbors in the public campgrounds so picked the Petzl Tikkina, an inexpensive unit with rather low lumens.

Sometimes it's hard not to go all-in for the most highly-rated thing out there. In this case, it would not have suited our needs, and would likely have served as a source of annoyance to others.
Not meaning to hijack this thread but lights drive me nuts. I use a cheap headlamp because it turns on an off. It does not strobe, it does not have a super bright setting or ten other light levels, it does not have a red light...I just want a flashlight and headlamp that with one click it goes on. And one click it goes off...
Old 01-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #100

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I really like that round wind breaker on that stove in the photo......

Tags
eco