Campster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We continue to add to our knowledge base. I didn't know they were made in Oregon.

The serial numbers seem to be inconsistent. Two I've seen, Bobbie"s and mine, have serial number plates next to the back door. Bobbie"s was 149 and mine is 199, but hers had an Idaho plate and mine Washington. I talked to someone who had a California serial number plate, so perhaps in the 1970 vintage, each state affixed their own serial number.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
We continue to add to our knowledge base. I didn't know they were made in Oregon.

The serial numbers seem to be inconsistent. Two I've seen, Bobbie"s and mine, have serial number plates next to the back door. Bobbie"s was 149 and mine is 199, but hers had an Idaho plate and mine Washington. I talked to someone who had a California serial number plate, so perhaps in the 1970 vintage, each state affixed their own serial number.
Of course all I am doing is trying to solve a puzzle without enough factual information. What we need to find is someone in the over 75 age range who used to be a travel trailer dealer or maker in the USA.

Remember this is the era before the RVIA national standards were adopted nation wide. So where it was being sold did matter because each state had their own regulations to be complied with. So therefore you will see different state plates on them. I do not know if the identification plates were attached at the factory or if the dealers put them on. I suspect it was ordered by the factory when the order from the dealer came in. The factory would have had to sent paperwork to the various state licensing agencies to obtain the plates. I was not involved in vehicle sales in the late 1960 and early 1970s so all I am doing is speculating about how it might have been done.

As to what is on my Oregon issued plate it has an ID number in the first box and that is C-16. Perhaps that indicates the model or maybe it indicates the registration designation for the maker of the trailer. Then there is a serial number, mine is 0012. The next line down in the first box has the numbers 1781. I have no idea what that designates as my plate has some corrosion on it and I can't read the stamped prefix that says what it is for.

The last number at the bottom is 13158, the older VIN numbers were 5 digits long. So perhaps it actually did have a VIN number. No one at the DMV would question me if I showed them the ID plate and said that was my VIN. The number 13 at the beginning of the string might be related to the length which is 13 feet. The next number 1 might indicate it only has 1 axle, the number 58 is obviously not the year.

It would be interesting to see images of these ID plates and compare what is stamped into them. By doing so it might give enough information to decode them.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #23

My contribution. I see that this is a Labor and Industries tag, so definitely specific to Washington State (and their property). The title serial number is S0199H. I'm not sure the meaning of the other fields.

It's doubtful that I would find a serial number on the frame since it was either replaced significantly modified.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180509_135204.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	118924
Old 05-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #24

Name: Jeanette
Trailer: Trailswest Campster
California
Campster

Here’s what I got. Taking a picture Really helps to read faint print.
Also found welded plate on tongue, the numbers don’t match any on metal emblem. It was very frustrating at DMV. Welded plate top line reads Consolidated Metals, line 2 McMinville Oregon, line 3 cam 0175
Green plate S 0487, DA 291393
Attached Thumbnails
5AC78478-1BA7-478F-8F2E-E3D01B1D2A70.jpg   88FB7AAF-C804-4FB4-9500-2F329B484399.jpg  

Jeanette P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #25

California
Campster

Have disassembled one window entirely, have plastic trims slathered in Mother’s back to black. I have noticed improvement in flexibility after 12 hours. Purchased products for polishing frame. I will post as I go.
Picked up repaired pop top canvas, very pleased. Rays automobile upholstery, San Diego. $225.00. They demonstrated how they clean and treat. Apply saddle soap wth Old T-shirt, wipe well then apply leather conditioner. I was cautioned that saddle soap comes colored only use white, yellow may discolor. And do not use products that contain alcohol. Amazing results. Will post photos. Can hardly wait to finish and install.
Lots to do but can see progress! Very Thankful to the contributors to the forums, I am confident about this project, motivated by support and encouraged to share my progress and experience.
Attached Thumbnails
8A35B6C4-7675-474E-980B-249D956B4F02.jpg  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #26

Name: Cathy
Texas
Let the adventure begin!

Congrats on your maiden voyage! We've been over the Rockies and back 3X now (after lots of reno.) Love The Campster!
Cathy in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #27

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
To be accurate, mine said S 149 on the plate and just 149 on the title, which in itself created enough problems.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:20 AM   #28

California
Campster progress

Well after weeks of continually removing and taking apart components, I was finally able to install one window. I removed rivets and hinges, polished frames and flipped fiberglass panels on rock guard. Purchase new arms from Vintage trailer supply, had to modify for installation. Turned out great. New rooster catch, same as original. Cleaned up hinges and reassembled. Applied butyl tape and had husband hold in place while I screwed the interior ring to window frame. Had to keep an eye on plastic trim that is between frame and clamp ring to ensured it remained in place. Once I got a few screws placed it went well.
Will test for leaks tomorrow.

Washed exterior and scrubbed with bar keepers friend, and decided to try fix a small repair then color matched with a gel coat kit. Very pleased with results, so no need to paint.

Working on such a small project I find I’m jumping from one thing to the next and my workplace keeps expanding, looking like a complete disaster. Terrified of losing any parts or procrastinating.
Will continue working on remaining windows and photos tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:15 AM   #29

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette P. View Post
Here’s what I got. Taking a picture Really helps to read faint print.
Also found welded plate on tongue, the numbers don’t match any on metal emblem. It was very frustrating at DMV. Welded plate top line reads Consolidated Metals, line 2 McMinville Oregon, line 3 cam 0175
Green plate S 0487, DA 291393
Driving on the highway along the route with McMinville to pick up my Campster from the PO I noticed that even today there are still companies making steel trailer frames in that area. I was scoping that out in case I needed to have repairs done.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #30

Name: Peter
Trailer: Campster Trails West
Ontario
Hey Dave. I bought a campster earlier this year a 1970. I have no documentation about the camper it self. Although I do have the ownership. Wondering if you may be able to send that to me or let me know where I would be able to look at it.
Clemintine70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemintine70 View Post
Hey Dave. I bought a campster earlier this year a 1970. I have no documentation about the camper it self. Although I do have the ownership. Wondering if you may be able to send that to me or let me know where I would be able to look at it.
Documentation on these Campsters is elusive. Look in the documents section of this site. I believe that there is a copy of a sales brochure, of which I have a hard copy provided by the guy that sold me mine. There is also a newspaper article that was posted in another thread recently - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...cture9441.html

As I play with mine, I realize that the only parts that are probably original are the shell and top, and possibly the sink and water tank. The frame appears to be from a 15' sticky, and I know that the interior has been completely redone.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #32

California
Campster Progress

In the last 3 months we have installed the side windows, they went in easy and operate well. Painted interior shell.

Last week I applied 1/8 plywood to the interior of pop top, replaced handles, bolts and nuts for hold down latches. We rebuilt bottom frame, attached original lift mechanism.

This weekend we Stapled repaired canvas to frames top and bottom. Applied VHB tape to bottom edge of frame before setting in place. It was a snug fit.
Looks fantastic up top!

Today we reassembled window into door, rebuilt bottom wood frame and replaced bottom edge trim I found that a previous owner had thankfully tossed it in a cabinet long ago. I will leave door off until the inside cabinets are rebuilt.

It feels great putting things together, instead of taking apart.

The weather is in the low 80’s in the late afternoon and we have been able to get a lot done. Too dark for pictures today.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #33

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemintine70 View Post
I think the brochure is under documents on this site, but that's about it. Very little available.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #34

California
Campster

The heat has begun to subside, mid 80 degrees, and we have been able to put in a few hours on the Campster.
We rebuilt bench cabinet supports, cut new plywood bench tops, hinges and new bolts through fiberglass. Refaced bench with 1/4 inch bead board.
Reinforced right side for support for Lagun table mount.Turned dinette into a U configuration adding storage for battery at front and additional bench seating. Very easy mod and much more suitable with the Lagun system. Installed new table mount, love it.
Ran out of daylight again, no photos today.

Will measure for bench cushions and order tomorrow. Starting from scratch new foam and covers around $900.00. I am providing the fabric. By far the most exspense so far. This free trailer sure adds up.

It’s great to get to the fun stuff and I feel like I may actually finish someday!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #35

California
Campster

Making great progress, but not enough hours in the day.
As the temperature cools down to work in the afternoons my work time is shortened by the time change. I have been resorting to a shop light to extend my work hours.
Months ago I remove rot in floor at entry, made a plywood patch as Karin described in her floor repair. Cut a piece of thin plywood to cover entire floor using a floor adhesive and weighted it down for 24 hours with masonry blocks and weights.

Had selected a home decorators click flooring and quickly realized it wasn’t going to work. Wouldn’t stay snapped together and tough to score and cut. Edges easily chipped. Tossed it in the garbage.

At H.D. I found Trafficmaster peel and stick planks in a taupe oak. Easy to cut, fit well together good adhesion. Used my rolling pin to insure good contact. Most work it’s done in a while.
While I was there I found a matching trim in from laminate floor department I used as baseboard.
Very pleased it looks great. No picture of floor completed at this time.

Will be picking up cushions tomorrow, can hardly wait.
Attached Thumbnails
F3DB05C5-0465-485D-AAA9-DEE648322F81.jpg   BCE48C33-CF3C-449D-B8E9-E375D5CC5EB5.jpg  

A2FD2D9E-CABB-4A3E-A88E-6B044DE2B7F9.jpg  
Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Nice find, a good looking trailer. Add to your list (often overlooked), check and replace if needed the spring/shackle bushings and bolts. On these and Compact trailers I find the bushings are usually worn out and you should replace the bolts when replacing the bushings.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #37

California
Campster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Nice find, a good looking trailer. Add to your list (often overlooked), check and replace if needed the spring/shackle bushings and bolts. On these and Compact trailers I find the bushings are usually worn out and you should replace the bolts when replacing the bushings.
Eddie
Thanks! I will have frame looked over by local trailer shop. They have been very patient and helpful.
Need chains longer on tongue. Will have them addressed at that time. Not knowledgeable to access axle,frame and spring assembly.
I realize I may possibly have to replace trailer.
I replaced hubs and tires just to get it to DMV
Old 11-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #38

California
Campster

It’s raining here in So. Cal. So I am able to catch up on post. Lots of progress,
Decided to go with icebox instead of the original. I reinstalled venting and retained propane lines if in the future I wanted to upgrade. I purchased icebox from Vintage Trailer Supply. It arrived in four days and in good condition. I added 2-4 inches insulation by creating a box from a sheet of insulation and used fiberglass insulation in remaining voids. It was a fun project.

I rebuilt access vent, painted, added insect wire mesh and lock. Did the same to vent up top and put in a piece of insulation. Used butyl Tape and rivets to installup top. USB tape and rivets for access panel.
Those two openings were how the rats entered when trailer was used for storage.

Connected water tank to hand pump, the new pump was faulty, not a huge issue, but frustrating.
City water connect with back flow went in quick no leaks. Stainless sink cleaned up nice and only made two trips for new drain trap connections. Had great help at Dixieline.

Tabletop for Lagun mount from Costco. I had used it for my sewing machine, perfect size and cheap around $20.00. Cut 3/8 plywood to fit under top to screw mounting bracket to.
Almost finished.
Attached Thumbnails
2BF05D2B-9A5D-4B7E-99A4-7BE5FED822F9.jpg   8C908097-F0A2-4ADB-8A11-A87C4A552A63.jpg  

25AF47C8-3DB3-4A52-9DA7-C82C066DDF90.jpg   231528E1-FC50-46E8-8751-2077473E2021.jpg  

Old 11-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #39

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Looking very good...nice work.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #40

Oregon
If you ever decide you want to have a refrigerator instead of a cooler

There are kits around for changing an icebox into a compressor run 12v/110v refrigerator/freezer. The compressor is a remote mount with tubing to a plate or even a freezer compartment that you put into the cooler. You will also have a temperature controller unit with the kit.

Various companies make these kits. Often on boats people build their own top opening refrigerators because they require a custom size to fit into tight spaces. Keywords: Icebox conversion kit compressor

Engel makes one although they might need to be special ordered. Here is the model # to keep in your files: Engel SCOT 4408F-U1-I

Dometic, Isotherm and Norcold also make these units.

The conversion kits cost much the same as buying a new fridge/freezer as it is the compressor and cooling plate and control unit that are the most expensive parts of any fridge/freezer. But at least you won't have to try and shop for a unit that is an exact fit for the existing space. Plus remote mounting a compressor can be handy in an small space and you can get the compressor further away from where you sleep to help reduce the noise.

Someday I might even end up buying one of these kits to build my own custom top opening fridge/freezer to fit in a pullout drawer. But for now I will be testing out a used portable fridge/freezer that I was given as a gift.

Tags
campster, trails west