Campster Pop tops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

Name: Victor
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
Washington
Campster Pop tops

Hi folks, we have a newly acquired '70 Trails West Campster and I need to replace the material on the pop top.

I've read that the Trails West group was also suppling the pop top to the late 60's VDub Camper back in the day. Seeing some side by side images of the two they do look about the same size and style. Just wondering if anyone's tried one of these. Replacement tops go for about $300, not bad considering all the time and hassle you would save. Thank you for any info you can pass along

Happy Camping!

Old 03-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
I hope someone responds with helpful info, our trailswest is in need of a top also. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I'm not sure. Some careful measuring will be required. I was looking to replace the rubber seal on my Campster pop top and found one at a retro VW supply. They actually pulled one out of the package and measured it for me and it came up about 10" short of my measurements. I passed on the project for now.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Campster top

Congrats on your camper.
They are such a nice little camper.
I used the old top as a pattern the best I could.
Made new top out of rip stop material.
Stapled velcro on the wood surround then sewed velcro on the rip stop.
Can remove it whenever I need to.
If I have to sew another one I would use Sunbrella material. Rip stop is hard to handle.
Good luck.
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:22 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I made an accurately measured pattern for the popup top. I can email copies of it if you need it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=painting lower panels.jpg Views: 18 Size: 68.1 KB ID: 128446" style="margin: 2px" />Click image for larger version

Name:	pop top canvas.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	128447

Name:	poptop fabric 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	128448

Name:	pop top interior.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	128449
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #6

Washington
Hello K C

I read your entire rebuild thread in one day and loved it. What beautiful work. I would love to get a pattern from you. Can you PM it to me? or email?
Old 10-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #7

Name: Keith
Trailer: Trailswest Campster
Oregon
I just bought a 71 Trailswest and will need your pattern if you could send me one!! I live in Clackamas Oregon,,, Thanks
KEITHDOG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #8

Washington
I just found this material which is supposed to be the actual fabric that was used on the Campster pop-ups. The color even matches to what I've seen. I think this is what I'm going to go with when I do mine.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/61-We...+%7C+%2414%2E5
Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #9

Oregon
Email is kseecox1960@msn.com !!!
Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
canvas top

K. Corbin I would also love to have an email of your canvas top . Read you whole post some time ago and love the job you did on your Trailswest . Email is footloose.senns@gmail.com . Thanks Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #11

Oregon
sorry I can't get to my files right now. I had a computer failure...bad update from the maker of the computer. So I am using an older computer and it is running an earlier version of my 3D CAD software. I can't open files made on the newer versions I was using on the other machine.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #12

Oregon
No worries!! I am in the process of sandblasting, powder coating frame as well as getting new seals,springs and bearings. Should be done next week and then tackleing the fiberglass body work! I am using your rebuild as a guide and wont be ready for the top for some time yet!!
Old 10-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #13

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic Jeep View Post
I just found this material which is supposed to be the actual fabric that was used on the Campster pop-ups. The color even matches to what I've seen. I think this is what I'm going to go with when I do mine.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/61-We...+%7C+%2414%2E5
That is definetely not the same fabric as the original Campster top was made from. I know that for a fact as mine still had the original popup top fabric. Also because I am just a very short drive away from Seattle Fabrics that is the place I go to in person to shop for my supplies including the fabric I made my popup top with. The fabric they have that does work very well and is the perfect weight for the project as well as being waterproofed with a urethane coating is Sur-Last. Sur-Last is one of the product lines from Sunbrella.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/60-Su...ard_p_117.html
Old 10-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #14

Oregon
It is going to be sunny the next few days. I want to get some better upclose photos of my popup canvas to show you the details of the plackets that go on the outside surface to cover over the zippers. That is an important detail, it is what keeps the water out when the openings are zipped up. The original tops used much the same detailing and it works really well. No use reinventing details that already perform admirably

Tags
campster