Can Icebox be replaced with Refrigerator? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
hi, i have a interested party in my 2,004 13ft scamp thats for sale, but she would like to know if a refrigerator could replace the icebox? i found one on camping world website , it says right size to replace standard ice box in pickups, vans and pop-ups. I thought maybe someone on this site has done this and is it a good idea? Thanks..
bobby & linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
yes the one i put in is 110 volt only bought from walmart an sale for 119.00 fit in great...i use 2 bunge cords to keep door from opening and the fridge itself is screwed in for it wont move..
Attached Thumbnails
MVC_006S.JPG  
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1987
Quote:
hi, i have a interested party in my 2,004 13ft scamp thats for sale, but she would like to know if a refrigerator could replace the icebox? i found one on camping world website , it says right size to replace standard ice box in pickups, vans and pop-ups. I thought maybe someone on this site has done this and is it a good idea? Thanks..
Absolutely. Our Burro Icebox was replaced with a 2-way refrigerator by the previous owners and I've since installed a 3-way unit. The key issue you need to be concerned about is ventilation, with the 2 way needing some minimal internal ventilation and the 3-way needing some type of external ventilation. Doing a 2-way unit would likely be the easier way to go, especially if you plan on predominately (or exclusively) camping where you can get an electrical hookup.

- Michael
MKohlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... The key issue you need to be concerned about is ventilation, with the 2 way needing some minimal internal ventilation and the 3-way needing some type of external ventilation. Doing a 2-way unit would likely be the easier way to go, especially if you plan on predominately (or exclusively) camping where you can get an electrical hookup...
The "two-way" term can be confusing: recent larger RV refrigerators are two-way, running on propane or AC power - they use too much power for 12V DC to be practical. What Michael presumably means by "two-way" is always electrical, but can run on AC or DC power. The requirement for external venting results from the way absorption refrigeration works, which is the operating principle for any propane-powered refrigerator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
The "two-way" term can be confusing: recent larger RV refrigerators are two-way, running on propane or AC power - they use too much power for 12V DC to be practical. What Michael presumably means by "two-way" is always electrical, but can run on AC or DC power. The requirement for external venting results from the way absorption refrigeration works, which is the operating principle for any propane-powered refrigerator.
Well said Brian!

The other factor and the main reason that the compartment of a propane powered refrigerator needs to be vented and completely sealed from the inside of the trailer is that carbon monoxide can be produced as a result of combustion in the refrigerator burner.
Robin Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We replaced our icebox with a standard "dorm" refrigerator that we bought at Wal Mart for $79 a couple of years ago. The brand name is Haier. It fits almost perfectly into the space and we have not had any problems with it moving around.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
We replaced our icebox with a standard "dorm" refrigerator that we bought at Wal Mart for $79 a couple of years ago. The brand name is Haier. It fits almost perfectly into the space and we have not had any problems with it moving around.
Sandra
I have seen a few people do that but there are 2 major disadvantages. Firstly, unless you have a campsite with electric hookup, you can't use the refrigerator; and secondly, you can't even use it as an icebox when you don't have electricity because there is no tray at the bottom to catch the melting ice and let it drain thus causing water to run all over the floor.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:35 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I have seen a few people do that but there are 2 major disadvantages. Firstly, unless you have a campsite with electric hookup, you can't use the refrigerator; and secondly, you can't even use it as an icebox when you don't have electricity because there is no tray at the bottom to catch the melting ice and let it drain thus causing water to run all over the floor.
my 110v runs on battery as well as camp ground power just need to install a inverter while not hooked up to shore power...i plug mine in at home 24 hours before leaveing then load it up when i leave i plug it into the inverter while driveing and if no power that night when i stop i just turn on the gen for awhile to charge battery the i am off again battery usealy lasts 2 days without charging
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My Compact Jr. has a 32" X 18" dorm-style GE frig in the place of its original ice box. For short trips (4 hours or less) we place three 2 liter soda bottles filled with frozen water in the bottom and pack it with our supplies. For longer trips, we carry the cold supplies inside a thermoeletric 'ice chest' in the tow vehicle a plugged into the 12V. system. Usually we camp with 120V. A/C power available. If not, we have to run a generator.

Tom Trostel
Old 05-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
My Compact Jr. has a 32" X 18" dorm-style GE frig in the place of its original ice box. For short trips (4 hours or less) we place three 2 liter soda bottles filled with frozen water in the bottom and pack it with our supplies. For longer trips, we carry the cold supplies inside a thermoeletric 'ice chest' in the tow vehicle a plugged into the 12V. system. Usually we camp with 120V. A/C power available. If not, we have to run a generator.

Tom Trostel
Wow!! this topic is full of debate.
Debate is good isn't it?
So...you buy a "dorm" fridge. Then an inverter, then a generator.
Seems like a lot of trouble in my humble opinion.
Why not buy a proper RV refrigerator that runs on LPG in the 1st place and then you can run the refrigerator for weeks at a time with no worries of running out of battery power.
These units also come equipped with travel latches so there is no need for unsightly tie straps etc. to hold the door closed during travel. Finally, a tiny gas flame seems to me a lot more environmentally friendly than a running generator....and not to mention happier fellow campers that don't have to listen to that noise.
Just my thoughts
Old 05-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
there is no tray at the bottom to catch the melting ice and let it drain
Blue Ice. Or as mentioned earlier.. frozen bottles of water. Old tupperware with frozen water.

I can't remember the last time I bought a bag of frozen water chunks.

Off course, if you like ice in your drinks, then the blue ice may be a bit un tastey.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Our Compact has no 12V D/C system, other than the running lights, and no battery. The lights, exhaust fan, air conditioner, cube heater, microwave, LCD television, and refrigerator are all 120V A/C only. That is the way we purchased the trailer two years ago. So we have adapted our camping to those limitations. A major reason we gave up tent camping was to gain air conditioning. When the overnight low temperature is 83 and it's still 96 at 10PM, it makes for difficult sleeping for these old bones. In Texas that type weather is common from May until September. Solar or 12V will not run an air conditioner for any length of time, so we knew we would need 120V A/C. We have a generator "just in case" but have never camped with it. We figure we have 80+ more Texas state parks to go before we've seen them all ,and they all have 120V hook-ups.

Tom Trostel
Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 AM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Yes, it can be done. No it can't be done easily unless the trailer is already plumbed and wired for LP gas, 110 AC and 12v to the fridge location. Appropriate sized vents will need to be cut into the exterior wall in the appropriate locations per the manufacturer's requirements.

Dometic and Norcold both make "direct replacement" size fridges for iceboxes. They can be had on sale at CW for $399 from time to time. Despite what each claims, the odds of them being a "direct replacement" is pretty slim as various manufacturers of iceboxes have slightly different dimensions depending on year. You may luck out and have it be a direct-fit size, but make sure you measure closely; otherwise in addition to running the utilities to the back of the fridge, you'll be modifying your fridge cabinet opening as well.

Good luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
We just had our ice box replaced with a Dometic frig -- fits in perfectly, but had to be fitted for electric outlet and gas lines and battery as well. Our 13' Casita did not have a battery when we bought it, but now it does. So the frig can work on all 3 which gives us a lot of flexibility as far as camping situations. But it was very expensive. We hope it will be worth it since we didn't pay that much for the egg to begin with.
Louise
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Robin,
You mentioned a downside to having an electric fridge, but, there is also a very big downside to having an ice box. Quite a few years ago we bought a 13 ft Cardinal low liner equipped with a small ice box. Our first venture into a campsite on a three day week end proved most inconvenient. We needed more ice ! Just go to the local store and get some more, right? Nope. They were sold out. Now, had to drive over an hour away for some.

Guess who decided to get rid of the ice box? lol ! Bought an electric/propane fridge and installed it. Worked great on either propane or electric. Of course, I did flub the install slightly - ran a copper line for the propane, put on the most beautiful flare for a flare nut, then discovered I forgot to slip the nut one the line before I did the flare. Par for the course for me. Sure would never knowingly buy a new trailer with and ice box again. Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 AM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
We ripped out the cabinet that had been put in the place of the old ice box, and with the judicious use of a saw and some reinforcing frame work we are installing a small 110 V fridge from Sears that was on sale for $85.

We debated getting a 2 or 3 way fridge but due to Dale's needing a C-Pap machine that uses 110 power, we figured why spend all of the extra money???

The model we chose is not intended for enclosed installation, so we are leaving an airspace all around it and leaving the vent from the heater we removed to allow good air flow all around. Dale has it braced front, back and sideways at the bottom, and I plan to bungie cord the front for travel so we should be good to go!

Turns out one of the salesmen in the department has the same fridge in his Pop-up and claims it is doing fine after a couple of years! Another advantage is that this fridge has a can dispenser in the door, so we'll be able to get a cold one from anywhere in the trailer ...

Pat
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #17

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
I put one like you mentioned in and it works great The cheper ones do not need 12 volts just gas . I bought it rebuilt for $300.00 Wayne
wayne s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator