Canopy/EZ-up other than Clam? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 04:53 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
New York
Registry
Canopy/EZ-up other than Clam?

Hi everyone- as new owners of a 13' Scamp as of Oct 16 we opted against the factory awning and used a Quest 10'x10' straight leg canopy which worked great. Unfortunately I left it up in the back yard and it broke. I want to replace it but am considering options. I'm not looking to install an awning. I see many suggestions for a clam but a clam wouldn't work directly outside the door. I have been looking at the Core 10x10 because it has a lot of positive ratings. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Hello Aaron,
I bought last year, the model Clam Quick-set Escape and we are very satisfied.

It's quick to install, as shown in the video, easily mounted in about 60 seconds, without being in competition.

This model is good for two people, to eat, sit in the shelter of mosquitoes, my wife loves.
Can accomodate 4, maybe 6 people with straight chairs ...

Another advantage with Clam is that you can decide to move it easily and quickly, our model weighs only 35 pounds.

We can add individual panels to stop the wind, what we want to get for the next season, we like to go near the sea and it will certainly give us more comfort when selling, especially for the cool days of spring and autumn.
Depending on the model you choose, consider the length required for transport.
In our Journey it just gets correct with the Escape model.
But I look to get a ski box, to install on the roof, and that can hold the six feet of this package, plus the canvas for the wind.

This is my assessment.
Have a good day.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

New York
Registry
Thanks for the response Gilles. The issue with the Clam for me is i want my canopy tucked up to my door like an ez up if it rains. I need to be able to walk thru it...
Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Aaron, what trailer do you have? Your info shows "Currently Shopping".

I assume you do not have an awning then, correct? If it was me, I would be inclined to add an awning to the trailer first, then use a stand alone bug shelter just outside of it.

The few I have see that have straight walls that would fit your described needs unfortunately are not all that well built. I don't think any of them allowed walking through either, having only one door. Hopefully someone can help you though.

I just know I love the quality and ease of setup of my Clam shelter. In hindsight I would have got the smaller 4 panel one Gilles mentioned over our larger one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We looked at the Clam as well, but like you, wanted to be able to put it up against the Scamp and walk through. With only one door, it quickly dropped off of our list. We also looked at the Coleman Easy up, which is really similar to the Clam, but has two doors and looks to be a little less "easy up." We've used one of those pop up tents for YEARS and they go up so fast, that finally we decided to just add the screen and wind panels to our existing pop up tent. The screen comes in two pieces and zips together on either side to allow for two doors. Hopefully this will work really well for us. I also ordered two wind panels and we can use them along with the screens should we want to block out wind and rain. I like being able to be versatile, even if it is a bit more work
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Don't get an EZ-up. I had one and it was anything but. Now I have an Ozark Trail straight leg. It isn't the best- one of the pins popped inside so I have to use a nail there to hold it up, and this was the second time (first time I exchanged it as it was new). BUT... it has a good top, with ventilation, highroof, is high enough to fit over the door of my Campster (about 6' high) has available panels, and is much easier to put up than the so-called EZ-up. I have a hanging tent for the canopy which has two doors and straight walls so basically can turn the whole canopy area into usable tent space. I got screen walls, too, but have yet to use them. I think this model is basically like the Coleman so that may work, too, but someone would have to measure theirs for clearance for the door. I sewed an extra flap on the door side of the top so that it could attach with velcro and not leave a gap.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #7

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Canopy choice

I recently purchased an E-Z Up canopy for the same reasons you are considering.

https://www.ezup.com/vantage-g3.html

In addition to the canopy I purchased food service screened walls, not pictured on the E-Z Up web site. The screened walls can be used individually. I plan to use 3 walls, leaving the screen off on the side of the canopy that will abut to the 13' Scamp. I can then place the zippered door on any of the remaining 3 sides.

The E-Z Up with top weighs 53 lbs. It has a very sturdy frame and substantial hardware.

I also have a Caravan 12x12 Canopy, with inferior frame.

During my years in the competitive BBQ scene, Almost every team used EZ-Up canopies. For very good reasons. They go up and down easily and will withstand strong weather. Of course it all depends on how much you want to spend. My total was about $300 for canopy, screened walls and free shipping.
They will have another sale during March madness, I was told.

I am considering keeping the canopy on order however, if money and weight were not a consideration.

Good luck on your choice. If you call E-Z Up sales, ask for Jim. A great help to me.

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Aaron,

GREAT topic! I'm looking at EXACTLY the same scenario. We have the Dometic Catalina awning (8') and I'm wanting a screen room. One to adapt to my awning or just a "pop-up" as you say to put next to my Scamp. What I would LIKE to have is an adaptable screen room but now I'm thinking as you are, something I can possibly hook over my awning case..if not set up next to the Scamp. The ONLY thing is, I wanted it to hook over my awning case because it has a "gutter" that would drain the water off each end of the Scamp. With these "ez ups", the rain is going to drain right in towards the door if there's nothing to funnel it away.

I had REALLY been looking at this lil cheap babe JUST to try it since it has "screen walls"! But again, I dont think it will go over my awning case NOR the door's alum. weather strip attached at the top. THEN I thought about trying to retrofit the screen part to my existing awning and have the best of both worlds. The only thing is, these screens are much larger than my awning....soooooooo.....

Here's the screen room I've been looking at... (plus- dig that price!)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-Sm...-x-10/19716951

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
Hi everyone- as new owners of a 13' Scamp as of Oct 16 we opted against the factory awning and used a Quest 10'x10' straight leg canopy which worked great. Unfortunately I left it up in the back yard and it broke. I want to replace it but am considering options. I'm not looking to install an awning. I see many suggestions for a clam but a clam wouldn't work directly outside the door. I have been looking at the Core 10x10 because it has a lot of positive ratings. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Canopy

Darral, nice looking screened room. Not familiar with that brand. Distance from ground to top of door on the 13' is 73". I didn't seen the distance from ground to bottom of canopy top in the WM description. Something to consider.
As far as draining rain, the leg height on most canopies is adjustable, so lower in the direction you want water to drain. All dependent on how the top is designed.
I also thought about just adding screens to awning. On the Scamp, the awning is 8' wide, extending to 7'. If your awning is 8'x8' then you can get 8' screened walls.

Hope you find your solution.

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #10

You're right, I LOVE the looks of the Wenzel AND the pricing!

IF I cant use the entire unit, then the screen walls alone would be a good deal! The problem..., they're too large for my Catalina. As you say, IF I could get one like that about 8x8, then I could bring it on down to retrofitting my awning. Another poster "Floyd" on here sent me a link to another company that appears to make these. But the one link...wow...expensive...but they really look nice. I would probably go with the clam shell for the price over this option...but it IS an option.

Unfortunately, I cant get the rest of the products to show up on his site...may be our web filter or something... Here's this link:

http://www.rvautoparts.com/Carefree-...CFYW1wAod974Cx

I hope there are others that are as interested in this as Aaron and myself are and keep their solutions/ideas coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Darral, nice looking screened room. Not familiar with that brand. Distance from ground to top of door on the 13' is 73". I didn't seen the distance from ground to bottom of canopy top in the WM description. Something to consider.
As far as draining rain, the leg height on most canopies is adjustable, so lower in the direction you want water to drain. All dependent on how the top is designed.
I also thought about just adding screens to awning. On the Scamp, the awning is 8' wide, extending to 7'. If your awning is 8'x8' then you can get 8' screened walls.

Hope you find your solution.

Mark
Old 03-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Note: Mark is talking about a better line of EZ ups than what you are going to find cheaply- so the ease of use is likely also better. My EZ up did last- it was just a pain in the neck to put up. I also owned briefly a "Qwik-shade" which was a breeze to put up but which broke a bar on about the third use. The commercial quality canopies are going to be a step up but you may want to start with a cheaper one to see if the idea works out the way you want. I bought a bunch of different things over the years trying to figure out what worked the best.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #12

I have a Quick-Shade 10x10 that I've used for about 6 yrs now- no problem. So I'm familiar with the "e-z ups". The only thing I dont like about it, it's NOT a true 10x10 with the angled-out legs. I wont bite for that again.

Here's a link to the screens-only for the Wenzel I posted earlier. I'm VERY tempted to order these and I'm 100% sure I could make it work. I realize there may have to be an addition to the top near the Scamp.... but do I want to do this or just get the Clam shell (wife would choose this option..haha). I realize there will be some work but just got to decide if I want to do it. I've done enough "mods" to my Scamp to last a life time. BUT, the wife and I DO like eating outside- breakfast, snacks...etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QFR0J2?psc=1
Old 03-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #13

New York
Registry
Good ideas

Thanks for all the help everyone! I like the Wenzel idea but I don't think I need screens on the immediate exit of the Scamp because it would never be completely enclosed. I'm thinking a 10x 10 canopy in place of the factory awning which gives an extra 44 sq ft of cover and possibly a clam to the side of that. An additional sun wall or 2 would be nice as well.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #14

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Aaron,

Here's the screen room I've been looking at... (plus- dig that price!)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-Sm...-x-10/19716951

Darral

Before you spend your money, have you read the comments on this article.
Many of the items identified 5 stars have negative comments.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-Sm...aff#about-item
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #15

New York
Registry
Yes, I'm still looking

Ya, I think I have decided on the Core 10 x 10. It seems to have really good ratings. And I am thinking that if I need a sun wall I can buy the coleman sun wall and make it work for the Core.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #16

IF I went the "Wenzel" way, it would be just the screens. Because that idea is to have a "screen room" next to the Scamp. Welp...wifey is frowning at the idea and has been reading all the POSITIVE reviews on the Clamshell.

She just thinks any screens around our awning will look "rigged".

As I told another poster, if they had the Wenzel screens (not the whole canopy) in an 8x8 for $50 or less I'd order today. One thing with the Wenzel I'm reading is they zip on opposite corners so you're sorta committed. With them being 10x10 and with my 8' awning, we've decided to go the clam shell right now when we decide to buy..unless something else pops up... pun intended.

[QUOTE=Gilles;629552]Before you spend your money, have you read the comments on this article.
Many of the items identified 5 stars have negative comments.