cargo rack and tool box on back - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
cargo rack and tool box on back

Does anyone use a cargo rack attached to the back of their fiberglass unit with a tool box for storing their camp stuff or do you just throw everything in your tow vehicle? Will Scamps and casita bumpers hold a cargo rack and lightweight aluminum tool box?
hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had my Escape equipped "bike rack ready" which gives you a 2" x 2" receiver at the rear bumper. It is welded at several attachment points and Escape rates it for 150 lbs.
I got the lightest cargo rack I could find at etrailer.com and then attached an aluminum box to that. The cargo rack and the empty box use up a good portion of that 150 lbs. so I load the box with a few light weight, but bulky items ( water hoses, etc ).
Keep in mind, if you take ferries and the like, that you will pay more for the extra length. You will also have to ensure that you don't unweight your trailer hitch too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Cargo box.jpg  
Old 03-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Cargo carrier.

We installed a hitch receiver on our 17' Casita. We use a deck box from Walmart on a hitch carrier. It kinda blocks the tail lights so I'm adding tailights on the carrier. Some Casitas have taillights on each side of the rear window which would take care of that problem. The deck box was not expensive, light weight and roomey.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
FWIW, I have a Casita 17, and I really have no idea what your weight restrictions would be on a Scamp, but for me anyway, I installed a 2" receiver on the back of my trailer, which is mounted to the main frame rails. It is also welded to my 3" heavy-walled square tube rear bumper, which I installed after getting rid of the tin foil sewer hose bumper. I installed a Stow-Away box on my hitch and it is where I carry a lot of things. I don't put a lot of heavy items in it but it's great for bulky items like leveling blocks, patio mat, small rake and camp axe, sewer hose, (stored coiled up in a 5 gal. plastic bucket,) water hoses, etc. Holds a lot of stuff that would take up too much storage room without it. It's very handy, but I don't know if your trailer has the capacity or not to support something like this. It is a very solid installation, and despite downsizing my propane tanks to "10 pounders" up front, it doesn't make my rear trailer's end too heavy (fishtailing) when towing the trailer. I also stand on top of it while washing the roof of the trailer, and even with my 250 lb. carcass standing on it, my neighbor (who is as big as me) couldn't even budge the tongue attempting to lift it. Casita 17's do tend to run a bit "nose-heavy" anyway.

https://www.stowaway2.com/standard-cargo-box-black
https://www.stowaway2.com/fixed-hitch-frame
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0004_2 (Medium).JPG   Receiver Hitch.JPG  

ReceiverTubeandCrossmember.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #5

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
where does the hole go

Bertolt Brecht doesn't seem to realize that the hole, like the great void is always there. Some random cheese occasionally blocks some of it out. Just like clouds in the sky or people on earth!!! More importantly what happened to the "refuse" in "refuse, reduce, re-purpose, recycle"!!
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Kanga, there are many postings of problems with sway when even light weight bicycles are added to the back of a Scamp. Those who have responded to your question do not own a scamp. If you look at a Casita 17’ and a Scamp 16’ or even a 13’, you can see that the axle on the Casita are rearward and the Scamp is near the middle of the trailer. This will give you a teater-totter effect much more easily. If storage ideas are what you are wanting, look at Norm’s 16’ Scamp set-up. I believe if you do the “search” on this website (using the bottom search site) and ask for preparing a 1991 Scamp 16. Norm has many places to stow items and yet is able to keep the tongue weight in the safe zone.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:02 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
cargo rack and tool box on back

Norm actually ran well under the recommended 10% tongue weight- around 200# for a 2600# gross trailer weight- necessitated by his use of a tow vehicle with a 1500# tow rating. Weight concentrated low and near the axle, along with slower-than-average towing speeds and skillful use of a manual transmission, made it work for him.

I wouldn't recommend his approach for most people, and I agree the Scamp 16 is easy to destabilize with weight on the back. I'd only recommend a lightweight plastic box with light but bulky/dirty items inside- hoses, plastic leveling blocks, chocks, etc. It's not the place for your tool box if that means lots of steel wrenches. If it were under 40# or so including the box, I think it could be attached to a bumper bracket rather than a receiver (which adds its own weight).

And yes, Norm has some great storage mods.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Norm had his trailer frame break too. We have the same car as he was using, Honda CRV, same year or one year difference. Hooked a Scamp 16 to our Honda and it dropped the rear down more than I was comfortable with so didn't buy that trailer. The trailer was not loaded at all, it was for sale and empty of any extra gear. Norm's skill at towing was what got him many trouble free miles
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:40 PM   #9

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
rear cargo box on 19' Scamp

When I bought my 2002 19' Scamp it had a cargo carrier and tool box already installed. I had read where Scamp does not recommend this. I had the trailer inspected and apparently extra welds had been used to support the cargo carrier. The trailer repair place said I should have no problems if I only put light things in the cargo box.

I have no sway problems. I put things like the Linx Leveling blocks, my small charcoal grill, a tarp and some tent stakes, etc. in the box. The only problem I have had was exiting a pull through campsite with a dip in it so that I bottomed out in back.
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by workhorsed View Post
Bertolt Brecht doesn't seem to realize that the hole, like the great void is always there. Some random cheese occasionally blocks some of it out. Just like clouds in the sky or people on earth!!! More importantly what happened to the "refuse" in "refuse, reduce, re-purpose, recycle"!!
What are you smoking?
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
What are you smoking?
He may be smoking a pipe while philosophizing. Helps the thought process.
My only issue is that "refuse" and "reduce" are redundant.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:10 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavery View Post
When I bought my 2002 19' Scamp it had a cargo carrier and tool box already installed. Jean
Your 19 is a bed mounted tow connection. The angle of the dangle between your axle and hitch point along with the hitch weight may make sway a moot point to 5ers. Can't say I've ever heard of that setup having sway problems like some bumper pulls do.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:59 AM   #13

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
cargo box

I used an adaptor that raises the carrier up some, this helped reduce the places I drac considerbly.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
When I did the axle replacement/frame work on my 13' Trillium, I added 2' onto the rear of the frame.
This gave me about 18" extra beyond the actual shell of the trailer. The original bumper was crap. Just a 1" angle kind of tacked on to various bits of added metal.
I have carried tools, jacks, ropes, tarps, hammers, axes, etc. in it. I have everything in one of those plastic deck boxes, sitting on a plywood platform.
OTOH, I have two Group 27 batteries on the tongue and tow with an F150.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita
Mine lives on the back of my Casita
Welded receiver hitch frame to frame, no bumper mount.
Use a hitch vise, zero wobble.
Attached Thumbnails
casita rack 001 (Small).JPG   casita rack 003 (Small).JPG  

casita rack 005 (Small).JPG  
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Mine is probably too heavy of a solution for a Scamp 16, but works great on our Escape 5.0TA. I do like the Stowaway2 quite a bit, but I wanted a way to carry our bikes too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #17

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Eggcamper
New York
'Bumper Box'

I will attempt to post a photo of the 'bumper box' my husband made for the back of our EggCamper. It holds 2 scissors jacks and multiple boards for leveling. We were very happy to get that stuff out of the interior of the camper, and use that space for other things. It is small but we were constricted by needing access to the leveling jacks and needing clearance for navigating over dips in the road without scraping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170615_120438632 (2).jpg  
Lisa Fingerlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had used an idea from a posting here many years ago, where a person who had either a burro or a U-haul, and they used hard motorcycle bags for rear bumper storage. I put our wheel chocks, foldable 4way lug wrench, hoses, filter, electrical adaptors and a small level.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
59AD8A34-F64E-4A39-B4B4-B38DC8039FA2.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
lisa yours makes sense I wont consider adding a huge weight to the back bumper of our 13f scamper.

I think I can come up with some plastic boxes to do what you have done.

neat idea

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote