carpet layover bunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I got a cheap carpet piece from Walmart ($20) so I am overlaying the ugly, cootie, water stained, probably dirty blue that is in there.. I have cut the pattern for the corners... and also the front part of the bunk. It's the only way I know how to pattern the corners... still working on one end... but need to find someway to tack down the front part so I can get it smooth...

I want to put trim on the front part where the curve is... what if any suggestions would be nice to use.. as I don't want the raw edges of the carpet showing... something flexible would be nice.

curves cut on one end...

Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet_works.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	11688

paper pattern for curves

Name:	carpet_pattern.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	11687

front needs to have trim??

Name:	carpet_piecing.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	11689

I am planning to just use a staple gun to tack around the carpet insead of gluing or anything... with the new cushions the upper bunk it should look pretty good.. at least it will be CLEAN!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
Cut bigger then you think you'll need, then trim down a little bit at a time from there until it fits perfect. Even when you make a cardboard pattern and transfer exactly over, there will always be "that one little spot" that you can't stand looking at and kicking yourself for not making it 1/4" or so wider.

Take it to a carpet or upholstery shop after you have it cut to size and have the edging bound. Shouldn't cost more than $20 or so and will look factory clean.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
edge binding is going to be much more costly than the price of the carpet. People looking to cut costs would usually shudder at the cost of binding. having said that we had out carpet piece for the centeral floor area bound. It really makes for a nice finished L K.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #4

this time I am going to just try to find something for the raw edge in front..most of the carpet is already bound except for the curves, which i can probably do a little tucking to hide the raw edge there. it doesn't have to be perfect.. I will see what home depot might have for carpet edging to 'tack' over the front curve part...I just need something that might be a little flexible for the curve... will put on my thinking cap...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
Quote:
this time I am going to just try to find something for the raw edge in front..most of the carpet is already bound except for the curves, which i can probably do a little tucking to hide the raw edge there. it doesn't have to be perfect.. I will see what home depot might have for carpet edging to 'tack' over the front curve part...I just need something that might be a little flexible for the curve... will put on my thinking cap...

If you sew, buy binding at JoAnn Fabrics or stores in your area that are similiar do it yourself or if you know of a friend, ask them if they would do it. First trim away one or two pieces of yarn nearest the cut edge and put on the same color narrow binding folded in half and sew through top binding, carpet and lower binding together using a #14 or large needle. - good luck.
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
An alternative to Mary Lynn's process is to fasten the binding onto the carpet by sewing it on inside out then folding it over itself and then over the edge. On the bottom of the carpet just use a hot glue gun to fix the binding to the carpet backing. Let me know if I didn't put this clearly.

A well-known Portland carpet business was kind enough to give me the supplies necessary.

Worked for me.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
An alternative to Mary Lynn's process is to fasten the binding onto the carpet by sewing it on inside out then folding it over itself and then over the edge. On the bottom of the carpet just use a hot glue gun to fix the binding to the carpet backing. Let me know if I didn't put this clearly.

A well-known Portland carpet business was kind enough to [b]give me the supplies necessary.

Worked for me.
An alternative to both is to use Hot glue on the raw edges.........OR get some Iron On seam tape. I have done ALL the above at one time or another. It has been a long time and ...welll with my "old age brain" I just do not remember which one worked best for what.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #8

I did the hot glue gun along with usuing a staple gun... I am not a sewer so thats out.. it really didnt turn out bad.. but no one can see it with the cushions up there anyways..