Carrying a Motorcycle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Carrying a Motorcycle?

Has any one tried carrying a motorcycle on the back of there camper?
My Bike only weighs 289 Lbs. My toung weight is kind of heavy so I'm wondering if any one has done it successfully?
Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jason, most people have problems while trying to carry a couple of bicycles on the back on their trailers. I really don't think the light frames on our light weight fiberglass trailers would stand up to the weight of any motorcycle.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Imagine a fulcrum like a teeter totter. If a big kid sits all the way at the end and bounces it, the effect is amplified. The stress on the fulcrum/axle is also increased.

I sure can't blame you for wanting to. I wish Honda still made the CT-90. A few years ago, asia was producing CT-70 clones.

I see your situation is complicated because your Snoozy's door is back there.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: WolfPack
Illinois
try a truck

Depending on your tow vehicle... try a truck. I use an AmeriDeck SuperDeck III to haul my bike(s) in the truck and tow the camper. Trucks are built to handle heavy cargo. Trailers, specially little ones, aren't that strong. Details at www.AmeriDeckMidwest.com
kurtzinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Motorcycle carriers on trailers

Jason
I have thousands of miles on our Bigfoot tf20 5th wheel trailer with a dual sport on the back. David beings up a valid point regarding the frame. Scamp frames are pretty light, by Bigfoot has a substantial frame and dual axles, and 780 lbs of hitch weight, before loading the dual sport. When the dual sport is on the back the hitch weight reduces to approx 650lbs. (My Suzuki DR350 weighs 380)
Hope this helps
Tom Y
Tom Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #6

New York
Registry
Thanks guys I should have mentioned I weld and was going to beef up the frame also.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I don't want to be too much of a wet blanket, but putting over 300 lbs (including the mount) out behind the trailer is asking for it to sway. It's not about balancing the tongue weight, it's about a heavy weight (mass) so far aft acting like a pendulum. You might be fine, and it depends somewhat on the stability of the TV, but mass way out back causes serious stability issues.

Unfortunately, there is no definite yes or no formula, but the general rule is keep the mass centralized and slightly forward of the axle for good stability. That is different than two heavy weights far apart that sort of balance each other. This is partly true because the rear mass moves much farther left and right than the forward mass, which is much closer to the tow ball. A weight forward and a weight aft don't equal a larger single weight in the middle.

Since there is no good place to carry the bike, you might just have to experiment. If you have a pickup, it could go in the bed. Some carry them on the front, but that is a serious compromise. You could even extend the trailer tongue and carry it on the tongue behind the propane bottles. A longer trailer tongue is always better and since you weld, that should be considered. Don't know where your batteries are, but the tongue is about the worst place for them. So, if they are on the tongue and in the way, you could move them.

You might consider the battery moved to somewhere else, the propane bottles moved to immediately in front of the trailer body, the tongue extended and a bike rack set on the tongue in front of the bottles and behind the jack. Then you'd have good towing stability, easier backing and you could see the bike while driving.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #8

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't want to be too much of a wet blanket, but putting over 300 lbs (including the mount) out behind the trailer is asking for it to sway. It's not about balancing the tongue weight, it's about a heavy weight (mass) so far aft acting like a pendulum. You might be fine, and it depends somewhat on the stability of the TV, but mass way out back causes serious stability issues.

Unfortunately, there is no definite yes or no formula, but the general rule is keep the mass centralized and slightly forward of the axle for good stability. That is different than two heavy weights far apart that sort of balance each other. This is partly true because the rear mass moves much farther left and right than the forward mass, which is much closer to the tow ball. A weight forward and a weight aft don't equal a larger single weight in the middle.

Since there is no good place to carry the bike, you might just have to experiment. If you have a pickup, it could go in the bed. Some carry them on the front, but that is a serious compromise. You could even extend the trailer tongue and carry it on the tongue behind the propane bottles. A longer trailer tongue is always better and since you weld, that should be considered. Don't know where your batteries are, but the tongue is about the worst place for them. So, if they are on the tongue and in the way, you could move them.

You might consider the battery moved to somewhere else, the propane bottles moved to immediately in front of the trailer body, the tongue extended and a bike rack set on the tongue in front of the bottles and behind the jack. Then you'd have good towing stability, easier backing and you could see the bike while driving.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Tail weight can really affect the stability of your trailer. It can also tax your units suspension and frame as it isn't designed for this amount of weight. It would be better to put it in the box of your truck if that's possible.
I carry my two Quads on an ATV deck in the back of my truck and that works well.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Jason: - Back in the late 1960's, we carried a Honda 50 on the front bumper of our pick-up (with 10' truck camper in the 'box') throughout much of Canada, and the upper USA; but, I haven't seen that trick used for many years now. I now wonder if it is illegal ?
At amy rate - welcome to FGRV, from your neighbours in Ontario.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Just open your back door and strap down to the d rings in the floor ! O wait thTs the HC1 you can do that with
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote