Casita Curtains - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Casita Curtains

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get curtains for my 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe? I do not sew and haven't found any online for sale. Would be interested in blackout curtains.

Thanks!

Mary
MaryLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Casita Curtains

Hi, Mary,
Look in your local Craigslist to see if there's a seamstress near you. Curtains are easy to make and blackout is just a matter of using the right fabrics, although total blackout is very difficult due to gaps around the edges.
As a seamstress (retired) I've made any number of curtains over the years (not draperies), and unless you want something quite odd, they're basically just flat panels.
Your request makes me wonder if it'd be practical to offer to sew you a set myself...shipping alone would be quite an expense. Hence, the suggestion to look for a seamstress in your area. She can help you select the right fabrics, too, which is a very good idea.
I made complete boat curtains on occasion, but the owners (often men) brought yardage and instructions without realizing the details mattered. You cannot get by with only the "measured' yardage, because you have to turn hems and make rod pockets etc.

On the other hand...have you considered getting clip-on curtain rings (like at most fabric and many hardware stores) and going to the Dollar Tree or Dollar Stores or even 2nd hand stores and finding bright kitchen towels and using THEM as the flat panels? That's what I have in my kitchen--they make pretty good small curtains, and you can join them pretty easily at the seams to make larger pieces.

Best luck, if you get something you like done, and can post pictures...

Kai in Seattle
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Kai has given you some excellent advice. I live in the Bay Area and love to make trailer curtains! I've attached some samples of my Scamp curtains. For myself, I like to make side panels in the theme fabric while keeping translucent curtains in the middle.) In this way I have daylight coming in, privacy at night and the print fabric does not overwhelm the tiny trailer. (I have even added pockets in the curtains to contain frequently used lightweight items such as Kleenex, flashlight, eyeglasses.) Notice that I make matching or complementary throw pillows. I've even been known to make coordinating or matching comforters. To block out light I make window "shades" out of Roc-Lon black out fabric. Much of your curtain design depends on the curtain rods or tracks in your trailer. If you'd like to talk about the details please send me a PM, private message, by clicking on my name on my avatar.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 042.jpg   SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 001.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Pockets in the curtains is so clever.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:02 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
just a note about curtain material. microfiber cloth will stick to the casita's carpeted walls like velcro. i purchased large microfiber towels from amazon cut them to size and had a local seamstress sew the rod pockets and hem the edges for about $20. to open the curtains i just pull one aside and press it against the carpet. works for keeping them closed also. i'm a guy and my curtain consciousness may not be as critical as some.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:41 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Pockets in the curtains is super clever!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #7

California
Registry
Thanks, curtain pockets were not originally my idea but from someone on this forum. Sorry, I cannot give proper credit as I do not know their name. The pockets are super easy to add and you can get netting fabric at most fabric stores.

I suggest you choose your curtain fabric carefully as the interior of these fiberglass trailers can get moist from humidity quite easily and you want to avoid musty smells and mold. The original Scamp curtains, in my case the light colored ones in my photos, are seemingly made of 100% polyester, much like many fabric shower curtains. I made my side panels and pillow cases out of 100% cotton or a cotton/polyester blend. Lining your curtains is important because they drape better and provide protection from the harmful rays of the sun which tend to weaken the curtain fabric and your other interior fabrics thereby aging them rather rapidly.

I do not like lining my curtains with black-out fabric, such as Roc-Lon, because it makes the curtain TOO heavy, difficult to slide on a rod, makes the interior TOO dark during the day and does have "light leakage" on the sides. For darkening my interior at night I have found the custom Roc-Lon shades do the trick as they lay flat against the window and easily roll up out of the way during the day. An added feature is that they block out sunlight when storing or parking the trailer thereby reducing sunlight damage when you are not in the trailer.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #8

Name: Tad
Trailer: 2017 Casita 17’ Liberty Deluxe
Washington
I know this is an ancient-ish post, but I too would love to pay someone to sew curtains, pillowcases, and a beadspread to make our little home more home-y! Please DM me if interested (or if you know a good place to get some).
Tad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #9

California
Registry
Hi Tad,
Wow! I can't believe you are replying to a 2015 posting. I'm Gilda, the one who posted many photos of my SCAMP decor ventures through the years. As you may know, my husband and I "retired" from SCAMP camping recently as we realized the "fun to work" ratio is now out of balance. I am still "lurking" on the FGRV website occasionally. When a decor-related message pops up I will, usually, respond. Of course, I'm also glad to respond to DMs.

I'm choosing to respond publicly so others can benefit from my musings.

Sewing unlined curtains is very easy even for those who do not sew. I taught my adult son to sew when he had the interest and a need. You'd be surprised at the number of friends you have who can sew for you. You can find folks on NextDoor and Facebook. Your local dry cleaners usually has someone in-house who does alterations. They will, certainly, be able to make custom curtains.

I think the most difficult part is finding fabric you like. I enjoyed choosing what's called "novelty prints" for whimsical decorating for the SCAMP (usually 100% cotton). Shower curtain fabrics (usually 100% polyester) make good "condensation proof" curtains. You might like fabrics on bedding sheet sets or pillowcases. Most "decorator fabrics" or commercial curtains (especially blackouts) are too thick and "clunky" for our small trailers. If you want Hawaiian -themed curtains, there are many specialty fabric stores in The Islands such as on the Big Island; Discount Fabric Warehouse in Hilo and Kona, also on Maui and Kauai. https://www.google.com/search?q=hilo...7F8d6zgNWM;mv:[[19.7222559,-155.06054799999998],[19.6990212,-155.08480849999998]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1! 2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

You can easily make curtains from pillow cases. They already have a deep bottom hem which, if reversed to the top, can have a fun ruffle by sewing a line 1.5-2" from the fold. When you put the curtain on the rod, voila! you have a ruffle. A simple rule, so you have enough "volume" in the closed curtains is to make the flat curtains 1.5-2 x the width of the window. All stitching on the sides, top and bottom only involve folding over, until there are no rough edges, and stitching down. See this video on Easy DIY Curtains from OnlineFabricStore.com. Easy Peasy! Note: she is using heavier weight fabric and the sides may not have to be quite 1" deep.

A bit more involved are lined curtains. A white fabric or "muslin" (comes in a variety of weights") are efficient lining fabrics. The simplest way to line your camper trailer curtains is to back the regular curtain fabric with your liner fabric and proceed as if they are one piece of fabric.

Good luck and have fun sewing!
Old 08-19-2022, 01:22 PM   #10

Name: Diana
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I made curtains for my old Casita about a year ago. I wanted a blackout fabric. Long story short, I bought drapery panels at Target and cut and stitched them, didn't need to hem them as the drapes were hemmed and had a top sleeve, half the stitching.
Florida Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #11

California
Registry
Way to go! Good for you. This is an EASY beginner's sewing project, especially if you start with pre-made curtains!
Old 09-17-2022, 04:01 PM   #12

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Here's what we did.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220913_132611078.jpg  
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #13

California
Registry
Ooooooh! Very nice! I like the look of retro bedding with modern grommet curtains! Please let us know how you set up the curtain holders. Are they cabinet knobs screwed into the walls?

I have a small suggestion if you'd like the curtains to "pull-up", exposing the windows for daylight. This idea is a simple Roman shade. Place "ties" at intervals at the top of the curtains, between the grommets. It's best if they are sewn to the curtain top, but not necessary. Fold, or bunch up, the curtain from the bottom to the top and tie the two ends (back and front) of the tie to hold the curtain up. Because your curtains are so wide, this is probably a two-person job.

https://www.dabblinganddecorating.co...ce-curtains/#/
Old 09-18-2022, 06:35 PM   #14

KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Ooooooh! Very nice! I like the look of retro bedding with modern grommet curtains! Please let us know how you set up the curtain holders. Are they cabinet knobs screwed into the walls?

I have a small suggestion if you'd like the curtains to "pull-up", exposing the windows for daylight. This idea is a simple Roman shade. Place "ties" at intervals at the top of the curtains, between the grommets. It's best if they are sewn to the curtain top, but not necessary. Fold, or bunch up, the curtain from the bottom to the top and tie the two ends (back and front) of the tie to hold the curtain up. Because your curtains are so wide, this is probably a two-person job.

https://www.dabblinganddecorating.co...ce-curtains/#/
Thanks. Hooks were made from 1/16" X 1" aluminum stock, or "bars". Broke on a metal break, sort of an almost squared "G shape and clear VHB taped to the upper cabinets. Wanted the curtains as close to the wall as possible.
Curtains were inexpensive light blocking from amazon, cut off at 32" and hemed at 30". Easy to fold and hang on 2 or 3 hooks, or half way on more hooks, or all 3 will hang over 1 window, if you want 2 uncovered. Got the idea from looking at lots of others posts.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:20 AM   #15

Name: HEP
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Casita Curtain Hardware ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
Here's what we did.
Cotton, I love the look you created I am unsure of the hardware you used and where to purchase how to install?
Thank you
Scrambletravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #16

KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambletravels View Post
Cotton, I love the look you created I am unsure of the hardware you used and where to purchase how to install?
Thank you
Thanks, see post14.

Tags
casita