Casita Curtains - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Casita Curtains

I’m replacing the blinds in my casita with curtains. Now I’m trying to determine the best way to hang them. I’ve removed the back window blinds and they were held in place by two “L” brackets at the top. They are placed badly for curtains - so I need to remove them and come up with another option. Any great ideas out there that won’t damage my little treasure?
Attached Images

Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
I’m replacing the blinds in my casita with curtains. Now I’m trying to determine the best way to hang them. I’ve removed the back window blinds and they were held in place by two “L” brackets at the top. They are placed badly for curtains - so I need to remove them and come up with another option. Any great ideas out there that won’t damage my little treasure?
I just screwed the little café-rod brackets onto the header for the venetian blinds, which we have left in, though we dislike them and might remove them eventually.

Just tied the curtain rods to the brackets with wire ties, so they don't bounce out. Works fine. —LEJ

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #3

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
The existing rod isn't wide enough to give privacy - but with your suggestion, I can screw in something wider! Thank you!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #4

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
The existing rod isn't wide enough to give privacy - but with your suggestion, I can screw in something wider! Thank you!
My pleasure. Note: standard café rods are adjustable, so you can make them as long as you want.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
I'm confused since you include a photo, which I cannot enlarge, which shows a lovely curtain with a suitable mount. Is that your final solution? Do you like it?

That said, through the years I have experimented with designing, sewing and hanging curtains in my 2011 Scamp 13'. Sorry, I don't have experience with the Casita but I think my experience will apply. You can find my FGRV entries by going to the "Search" bar above, go the bottom of the drop-down menu where it says "Search Site/Google" and enter "window coverings Gilda".

I never liked the curtain rod holders that are installed at the Scamp factory. 1) A TON of rivets are needed and add an ugly element to the outside.
2) They are flimsy
3) They only hold one bar and I'd like two
4) The Scamp curtain rods are too small for the holders resulting in rods bouncing off the holders.
My solution:
1) I kept the Scamp rod holders because it's too risky for me to drill out the rivets and install sturdier 2-rod holders
2) At first I found traditional adjustable cafe curtain rods that fit snuggly into the rod holder. They stayed in place pretty well but were flimsy.
3) Ultimately, I much preferred to use solid rods, custom cut, as they stayed straight and are very sturdy. (Use new or used rods as you find them. Measure the diameter carefully to match the holder. I found mine in someone's trash :-))
3) I added zip-ties to hold the rods securely in place.

Other tips in designing the curtains:
1) I kept the factory-installed tan curtains because they let some light in while giving privacy and they are made of a synthetic (like some shower curtains) that resist dampness, sun damage and wear like iron!
2) I cut and hung the rod so it overhangs the holders. This allowed me to keep the factory-installed curtains inside/between the holders.
3) I chose to make a variety of side curtain panels (hung outside of the holders) that I could easily change out according to my liking or to match to our trip i.e. wine country, desert, Independence Day, etc.
3) I can push back the interior curtains so the window is exposed. Tie-backs attached with the hook side of Velcro is optional. (Scamps are lined with a carpet-like material fondly called "Rat-Fur) to which Velcro "sticks".
4) I always line my side curtains so they have some "heft", they resist sun damage and look simple from the outside.
5) I really like the simple pull-down window shades made of Ron-Loc blackout fabric (available at most yardage stores) that I installed. I sew open-sided hems on the top and bottom. The top hem/tube holds the rod. I sew Velcro (the hook side) through the bottom hem (only 2-3 lengths of 3" each are needed. NOT all the way across). The rod extends only a bit beyond the holders (I attach a rubber tip on each end) and rests on top of the rods. I manually roll the shades up and down. I leave the shades down when travelling or sleeping. The Velcro keeps the rods in place and keeps most of the light from leaking in. Another bonus, the shades keep the interior warm. (I still keep a window or two slightly open to allow fresh air to enter and to lessen condensation.)

Feel free to contact me through a PM, private message.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 031.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita